The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-05 22:16:18

Theotetus

Internal Rear Lights - LEDs

I'm trying to wire up some LED lights in the back of the van.  I've exposed what I think is the correct wires, directly next to the rear door light.  There's 2 green, and 1 red wire.  Does anyone know what wires what, and which ones I need to strip and connect to the LEDs.  I'm guessing the 2 greens...and the red is a door sensor of some sort?

Last edited by Theotetus (2018-11-05 22:21:55)

#2 2018-11-05 22:32:43

Casper

Re: Internal Rear Lights - LEDs

Not got a multi meter to test? Surly ir a simple case of test red, if live as a switch and LED then earth to chassis or however you may have your leisure battery wired.

#3 2018-11-05 22:42:06

Theotetus

I'm guessing the wires run straight off the starter battery.  I'm only using the LEDs to provide some extra lighting while I'm getting my tools out...so no leisure battery.  I was running the LEDs of a battery, they have a live and neutral.  Are you saying I only need to wire up a live and earth?

#4 2018-11-05 23:02:46

Casper

Theotetus wrote:

I'm guessing the wires run straight off the starter battery.  I'm only using the LEDs to provide some extra lighting while I'm getting my tools out...so no leisure battery.  I was running the LEDs of a battery, they have a live and neutral.  Are you saying I only need to wire up a live and earth?

Its how mine was wired yes but...... Look round the back door's. Unsure if they had a light switch as that would be better to reduce the chance of leaving the light on but yeah. Mine was direct to the battery and earthed up next to the light.

Now i dont know if all vans are wired like this and i never knew they were but i wanted LED in my cab. They would not work and i could not understand why. It turns out the cab lights what work from the door switch are reverse polarity and can only be wired to work from the door switch or wired from the light switch but not both. Back doors may be like this also.

Have i confused you yet? big_smile big_smile

#5 2018-11-05 23:18:35

Theotetus

Yes a bit!
I’m assuming I take the red for live, then try my luck with the
Two greens and see which work. If at all. If not I’m going back to using a small 12v battery and sacking off the internal wiring

#6 2018-11-05 23:29:56

Casper

Theotetus wrote:

Yes a bit!
I’m assuming I take the red for live, then try my luck with the
Two greens and see which work. If at all. If not I’m going back to using a small 12v battery and sacking off the internal wiring

Yes. Im thinking the greens are switched wires for when the doors open. Test with an old bulb if you dont have a meter.

#7 2018-11-06 01:15:10

kenbw2
Administrator

The live, neutral and earth are AC terms, which might be confusing things. In a car's DC system you only have positive and negative.

The way the door switch works is that there is one positive (+12V) feed, and two negative feeds - one is switched internally by pressing the light unit, and the other is switched by the door.

I only bother with one of them as I've got the door switch working differently, but on the back of my lights I see one positive and two negatives:

sbcq8zl.jpg

ilmdrBS.png

Last edited by kenbw2 (2018-11-06 01:15:35)

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#8 2019-04-26 23:34:16

GRIFFIN

I just replaced all my interior festoon bulbs with led type, after running my battery down by using all my interior lamps for a few hours while working on the van one evening. Of course you could just run piggyback connectors from the spade connectors on the back of your interior lamps as pictured above and that would save hunting about for suitable wires and earthing points.

Cheers, Griff.

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same

Board footer