The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-01 20:13:12

woodbine

New Member - Bristol

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. My van is a Scudo 2.0 Jtd Dynamic (AC, leccy windows and mirrors, fogs, etc  cool  ) in grey/silver. I've owned it for 11 years. It's standard apart from the fitted bulkhead and Van Vault.

I'm a plumber in Bristol and use my Scudo mostly for work, but take it camping too. It's not actually converted, I still sleep in a tent next to it, but put a strip of timber along one side of the roof and bolt it to the captive roof rack threaded nuts and fix an awning and poles to it.

Glad I found this site, because although it's been very reliable, when I've had the occasional problem and asked on Fiat Forum I usually get zero response. Probably more of a car forum. Now I've found somewhere where all the variants of these vans come together, I will be able to find and share info.

DSC01163.jpeg

Fiat Scudo 2004 (54) 2.0 Jtd SX Dynamic Van

#2 2018-11-01 21:19:09

Casper

Re: New Member - Bristol

I just dont think there is many left on the Fiat forum who have one of these vans. Still handy for the archive and manual download though. Rather than that ugly bit wood what will rot over time could you not have used a but angle iron or stainless along the top to bolt down then added awning tracking to the outwards facing side. The canopy you just stitch awning beading along the edge. Seconds to feed into the track.

#3 2018-11-02 01:25:23

kenbw2
Administrator

Looks smart, especially for its age. And amazed to see a new member not from Scotland!

Tell us a bit about the trips you've taken it on, and what you've done inside. I see a cooker on a wooden base.

How's it been mechanically, tell us of your previous woes and successes

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#4 2018-11-02 18:19:30

woodbine

Casper wrote:

I just dont think there is many left on the Fiat forum who have one of these vans. Still handy for the archive and manual download though. Rather than that ugly bit wood what will rot over time could you not have used a but angle iron or stainless along the top to bolt down then added awning tracking to the outwards facing side. The canopy you just stitch awning beading along the edge. Seconds to feed into the track.

Hi Casper

Yes, still some useful archives on FF, and that's where I learnt about the Fiat Eper parts info.

The ugly bit of wood is only bolted on to a couple of the roof rack mount points when I go camping. When not camping it lives in the garage so won't rot. There's no track on this awning, it's just a basic Ebay one with a few metal eyes on the side that joins the wood. I just put a few screws in the wood, and the eyes fit onto these. The poles and guy ropes keep it all taught and in place.

#5 2018-11-02 20:22:31

woodbine

kenbw2 wrote:

Looks smart, especially for its age. And amazed to see a new member not from Scotland!

Tell us a bit about the trips you've taken it on, and what you've done inside. I see a cooker on a wooden base.

How's it been mechanically, tell us of your previous woes and successes

Thanks Ken, she's not too bad. And I'm definitely not from bonny Scotland, only Devon and Cornwall is further south than where I am.

The Scudo's very straight and only one small rust scab. Do tend to find these don't rust much, though those north of the border may disagree. All original paint except the top half of o/s sliding door. Bought her in mid 2007, just before first MOT was due. Amazingly, I've had her MOT'd  at the same place and she's never failed an MOT. The odd advisory, but always sorted before next MOT.

95K on the clock and original pretty much all main mechanics are original. Early on, had to replace a leaking combined hose and metal pipe from PAS reservoir to rack. Had a slightly worrying one last year. Parked van on drive and next morning she wouldn't move - one front wheel locked solid. The spring had broken and slid down the strut jamming itself against inner wall of tyre. Luckily it hadn't touched brake pipes or the brake pad wear sensor wire. Had to put a new spring on myself on the drive as it's narrow and difficult access. No way to tow it out.

Wasn't difficult to change the spring except for one thing I didn't know. I just couldn't get the strut to fit back in, even levering it. Didn't seem to be enough room to get it into turret at top and bottom mounting. Then a mate told me to take the weight off the other front wheel, which I had on the ground. Apparently jacking the other front wheel to take the weight off of it takes the twist out of the roll bar and allowed the strut to fit in. So, need the weight off of both front wheels if changing a strut.

Apart from that, just been service stuff, pads, shoes, exhausts, etc. I bought the van from Kent and the previous company owner gave me all the old main dealer receipts and I was amazed at the amount of money the dealers screw out of the first owners of vehicles. Was several thousand, and every time it went in for services, etc they went to town on it, replacing all sorts of stuff. I've hardly spent a fraction in eleven years of what they spent on an almost new van. Dealers must screw company owners in particular.

Have done regular camping trips, Somerset, Devon, Cornwall, Lake District. Few runs over channel to Brittany. Friend has recently moved to Czech Republic, so hope to take her over there maybe next year.

The van's original apart from bulkhead, Van Vault and limo black tinting cool on rear door glass. It's ply lined, so I think that's the ply on the floor you can see below the stove. It's only a camping cooker, not fitted to van.

That's pretty much it really. Think I'll keep her until she falls apart. I'm quite tall and I really like the high seating position. Don't like the newer vans with all the DPF and emissions stuff - these engines seem bullet proof with regular oil and filter changes. Wouldn't know what to change it for.

If you want to know anything else, please ask.

I also own a Carlton 2200 CDi  1986(D) - last of the old shape, not the more modern jelly mould shape.

Last edited by woodbine (2018-11-02 20:36:44)

#6 2018-11-05 19:37:32

Casper

woodbine wrote:

I also own a Carlton 2200 CDi  1986(D) - last of the old shape, not the more modern jelly mould shape.

That the one that looks like a bigger Mk2 Cavalier?

#7 2018-11-05 23:46:44

vaz2121

Casper wrote:
woodbine wrote:

And I got the Later jelly mould one but The LWB version of the Carlton

A 1990 Senator B.

Last edited by vaz2121 (2018-11-05 23:47:30)

#8 2021-03-07 17:37:48

woodbine

Casper wrote:
woodbine wrote:

Sorry for late reply, Casper. Just noticed your post looking through my old threads. Only 3 years late!!!

Yes, it looks like a larger version of booted Mk2 Cav. This is mine -

mini_Carlton-D249-FWS-Pics-No-1-025.jpeg

You can just see it's predecessor in the background, the Mk1 chrome bumper version 1981(X), also sold in UK as Opel Rekord. This one sadly rusted away and was scrapped after 21 years service (not all in my ownership I may add).

Last edited by woodbine (2021-03-07 17:40:47)

#9 2021-03-07 17:41:28

woodbine

vaz2121 wrote:
Casper wrote:
woodbine wrote:

And I got the Later jelly mould one but The LWB version of the Carlton

A 1990 Senator B.

Very nice.   cool

Board footer