The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-26 15:14:26

tee_cee

MOT

So a fail this year.

1) Nearside track rod end ball joint worn to the extent that there is a serious risk of detatchment.
2) Brakes imbalance across the rear
3) Both numberplate lights out
4) Advisory rust on offside outer and inner sill

Got the garage to do the ball joint and tracking (£117)
Since the garage had previously done the rear wheel cylinders, they manually adjusted = no charge
The numberplate/stop light is an ongoing problem, because the wires get crushed against the shelf at the back door. and break inside the rubber sheath. Maybe need to cut some relief in the shelf, or move the wires.

So, despite a bit of anxiety, another year on the road, for a modest sum.

The paint bubbles on the sills have been there for a while. Is this something that needs to be fixed?

#2 2018-11-26 23:50:04

kenbw2
Administrator

Re: MOT

MOTs are always a nervewracking time, but £117 isn't half bad, especially compared with how much a newer van would cost you, and still far from guaranteed to pass MOTs. My last one needed a wishbone/ball joint too, for a similar price. Total including the MOT came to £190 for that and a couple of part worn tyres.

I had a split on my Synergie's sills once from a rock hitting it (long story, but basically a car crashed into a wall next to my house and a bit of the wall hit my car). That needed fixing, but only because sharp edges, not structure. Think it was £120 to sort out.

uh8GNvR.jpg

Last edited by kenbw2 (2018-11-26 23:54:07)

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#3 2018-11-28 14:46:37

vaz2121

Although my M.O.T. was done back in  mid august and I'd a clutch change since then.... I did get an Advisory on the off side track rod end and slight stickyness of the brake caliper on same side...... I've now got a replcement caliper for it and a track rod end and as we speak it's awaiting those parts going on at the garage I use....... It's interesting the parts needed are somewhat similar...... I also had blister issues on the sill it's now doing it on the other side and obviously it'll need tracked and two(winter) tyres on the front as its scubbed the tyres quite far down since M.O.T. (about 1200mls.. nearly as much as whole of pevious years mileage) To be fair my partner seems to remember we (she?) hit a pot hole quite hard.
I  thought we'd got a test fairly painless but for something that hasn't/doesn't get the use that other stuff does ..... it's catching me now...... £117  for a years test it's not out the question....

#4 2018-11-29 00:51:55

Tiree
Administrator

Had my MOT a couple of weeks back .. I've spent quite a lot on replacing steering / suspension in the last couple of years [we're at 175k] so was kind of hopeful all would be ok .. but also fearing something cropping up that would prove a step too far.

In the end we'd to replace a bulb, a tweak or two and had a couple of advisories - £58 all-in.

It's a balancing act isn't it - especially if you've invested time & money in comfort & warmth etc in the back.

No way I'd have persevered with this van if it wasn't also a safe & cosy home-from-home.

Glad I've stuck with it :-)

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#5 2018-11-29 19:04:09

Casper

I had a fail this year for handbrake travel (Six Clicks) yet the yer prior it was a pass with six clicks. Same garage different tester. Year prior fog lamps failed what were great the night before (loose earth) and a borderline tyre so i think i have been quite lucky but saying that i also had pitted disks mentioned on past three MOT's so decided during the summer t change them and pads and grease up the pistons. Every time i am under the van i am checking stuff that may fail an MOT. Got an ABS light what shows only when its damp out. If i cant nail that ill just be taking out the ABS system. One less fail to worry about.

Here, May be useful to some

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/ … 000101.htm

#6 2018-12-09 11:13:11

Axelfols

I tackled the bubbling paint on the sills during summer. best to get in there asap or it'll turn into a bigger job. I treated the whole inner and outer sill with POR15 and its been fantastic. Not the cheapest product but certainly one of the best out there.

#7 2018-12-10 08:05:45

tee_cee

Axelfols wrote:

I tackled the bubbling paint on the sills during summer. best to get in there asap or it'll turn into a bigger job. I treated the whole inner and outer sill with POR15 and its been fantastic. Not the cheapest product but certainly one of the best out there.

I guess that this would require quite a bit of effort, like stripping the paint, power cleaning/degreasing, scrubbing the rust off, priming, painting inhibitor, top cost, priming & painting original colour.
How long did the job take you?

#8 2018-12-13 08:37:44

Axelfols

Took about 4 hours in total including prepping and drying times between prep. A second coat is advised but once the prep is done its easy. I found the whole process quite satisfying to be honest. I tackled under the rear floor pan where the spare wheel sits. You could now eat your tea off it!

#9 2018-12-13 11:01:03

tee_cee

Axelfols wrote:

Took about 4 hours in total including prepping and drying times between prep. A second coat is advised but once the prep is done its easy. I found the whole process quite satisfying to be honest. I tackled under the rear floor pan where the spare wheel sits. You could now eat your tea off it!

Thanks. Did you repaint the sills?

#10 2018-12-14 19:25:55

Axelfols

Yes, they look mint. Highly recommend doing it. I now always look at most Scudo's sills and most if not all have the same area of corrosion. I know, very sad lol.

Board footer