The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-06 01:00:47

Chippy161

Dispatch clutch problem.

Hi Guys.
Hope somebody can help,I had a new clutch fitted on my 62 plate dispatch 2 litre hdi about two years ago. It’s done less than 20’000 since then and it’s starting to slip again .it only seems to do it when I’m doing over 40 and going up a slight incline doesn’t seem to do it around town at lower speeds .i didn’t replace the DMF at the time as the garage said it seemed ok and the van still only on 79 k, any ideas.?

#2 2018-12-06 01:15:31

Casper

Re: Dispatch clutch problem.

My clutch went (Different van) Thinking the DMF would be fine i bought the three part clutch only. Put it all in and still found it hard to get in gear. Felt like my clutch had gone but turned out to be the DMF as well. Always recommended to change them together and yes, they can feel like clutch slip so i found out when i was asking on LDV groups.

On a related note. If you have the option of going solid flywheel dont. It was the worst thing i ever did. Van vibrates more under acceleration and sounds more noisy.

#3 2018-12-06 07:09:17

vaz2121

Chippy161 wrote:

Hi Guys.
Hope somebody can help,I had a new clutch fitted on my 62 plate dispatch 2 litre hdi about two years ago. It’s done less than 20’000 since then and it’s starting to slip again .it only seems to do it when I’m doing over 40 and going up a slight incline doesn’t seem to do it around town at lower speeds .i didn’t replace the DMF at the time as the garage said it seemed ok and the van still only on 79 k, any ideas.?

I'll go with Casper ............. My partner had a 307 HDI 110 Rapier that felt like clutch slip when going to overtake usually........... Turned out it was DMF.......... This was back inthe day when a clutch kit +DMF would cost you 14 or £ 1500..........

Initial inspection Clutch and all appeared Ok ......... I could never get it to slip if I tried (bootfull revs dump clutch in too high a gear/ draw away in third etc...)

The car at the time was just over 7years old and had under 80,000mls (74,000) on it.......I sold it in bits as it was the last straw for me with it........

I was (Later) told at time that "if they rattle when switching them off" (Ours/Her's seemed too have a rattle on starting aswell)..........DMF is on way out .......Also engage clutch pedal to floor when turning them off/starting ....give's the clutch/DMF an easier life.......
Allegedly

#4 2018-12-06 16:26:53

Casper

Yeah mine was rattling also. Funny thing when you take it out the movement of the springs where in tolerance but probably just. I took the gamble and lost as i just bought a new clutch. New old stock £110. When i found i needed a DMF i seen the LDV price of £400 for the flywheel only so ordered the solid flywheel and clutch kit. £230 as the DMF clutch is a different size. Hated it ever since. I still have a new clutch for a DMF and see a LUK one on ebay for £140. Next time i am flush i may just buy one and swap it all over.

Lesson learnt, always change together.

#5 2018-12-06 21:40:43

Chippy161

Ok ,cheers guys .
Looks like I’m going to have to get my wallet out

#6 2018-12-06 21:58:47

Casper

Chippy161 wrote:

Ok ,cheers guys .
Looks like I’m going to have to get my wallet out

Can you DIY? Not a killer if you can

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LuK-DUAL-MAS … rk:10:pf:0

#7 2018-12-11 10:35:38

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

Yeah mine was rattling also. Funny thing when you take it out the movement of the springs where in tolerance but probably just. I took the gamble and lost as i just bought a new clutch. New old stock £110. When i found i needed a DMF i seen the LDV price of £400 for the flywheel only so ordered the solid flywheel and clutch kit. £230 as the DMF clutch is a different size. Hated it ever since. I still have a new clutch for a DMF and see a LUK one on ebay for £140. Next time i am flush i may just buy one and swap it all over.

Lesson learnt, always change together.

Not to Hijack thread..... The clutch I had put in  Sept/Oct past was shuddering first thing in morning but fine for rest of day after first use ....... Needless to Say it didn't shudder when returned to garage...... After only 500mls it was shuddering admitedly only a little bit when put in reverse to turn and leave Cul de Sac..... If I turned it the night before it didn't shudder at all on leaving...... No idea whats happened But somthing was obviously disturbed..... It turns out parking it facing down hill allowed Oil leaking (that wasn't there before) from top of engine to get on clutch But if parked up hill it dripped on floor (being such a big leak there was no signs on block paving) this took several return visits till I was asked
"When did the oil leak from top of engine start and do you know it needs a top up"

So  gaskets ordered and getting fitted

Typical !!

Still I should see The silver lining ............ Ive got my track rod and brake caliper done and found an oil leak I didn't know I had...... and my engine's not for falling out after all

#8 2018-12-11 23:58:44

kenbw2

vaz2121 wrote:

The clutch I had put in  Sept/Oct past was shuddering first thing in morning but fine for rest of day after first use ....... Needless to Say it didn't shudder when returned to garage...... After only 500mls it was shuddering admitedly only a little bit when put in reverse to turn and leave Cul de Sac..... If I turned it the night before it didn't shudder at all on leaving...... No idea whats happened But somthing was obviously disturbed..... It turns out parking it facing down hill allowed Oil leaking (that wasn't there before) from top of engine to get on clutch

Sounds familiar. Mine judders a lot from cold. i assumed it was because I'm running on veg and it's struggling to push. But I do know I have a leaking crankshaft seal, which leaks right onto the flywheel.

It's a super expensive job, and it's annoying but tolerable to just live with the leak until the clutch wears out. But the clutch is still going strong =/. I'm getting tired of leaving black spots everywhere though, not to mention the constant topups, so I'm considering forking out.

1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9 DW8 Camper Conversion

#9 Yesterday 07:04:32

vaz2121

kenbw2 wrote:

Sounds familiar. Mine judders a lot from cold. i assumed it was because I'm running on veg and it's struggling to push. But I do know I have a leaking crankshaft seal, which leaks right onto the flywheel.

It's a super expensive job, and it's annoying but tolerable to just live with the leak until the clutch wears out. But the clutch is still going strong =/. I'm getting tired of leaving black spots everywhere though, not to mention the constant topups, so I'm considering forking out.

I would have been even more mega P****d off if the crank oil seal was at fault and not just for a second strip down so soon after clutch......... The crank seal is not the exspensive part of the job obviously........

To get gearbox out the subframe has to be dropped and on a 13yr old vehicle as mine is now ... I suppose I should count myself lucky 2  out of 8 ( think he said)subframe bolts gave trouble ..... 1 broke the others captive nut broke of it's mount .... Anyway same result some minor surgery and welding to reattach and recover replace offending items which are inside a chassis leg

How long is a bit of string ?..... you could wait a long time for clutch to wear out....... My partners 306 Dw8 etc which is no longer front line and on retirement shopping duties with 210,000mls+ on it ........ Has it's original clutch still ..... getting it from within the original family and knowing a good bit of it's history and we've put 100,000 + on it in last 7.. 8 yrs ..... I must admit a lot of what the old girl (306)was doing was distance work
Taking us down to partners Father place in Spain (Vigo) at least once a year and half a dozen trips a Yr to visit her daughter/Grand kids down Derby way from us being north of the Border

P.S. I'm assuming you know for sure it's Crank oil seal when I saw under mine.. yes it definitely looked to be coming out between gearbox and block
As I said they must have disturbed somthing as engine was previously dry... very rarely needed any top up much the same even to this day on 306 between service
As mine (on van) is coming from top of engine.... Rocker cover area..... (are they tin or plastic?)

Last edited by vaz2121 (Yesterday 07:18:36)

Board footer