The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-29 01:02:05

kenbw2

A pre-Christmas trip to the Cairngorms. The sun even came out.

I love going to the Scottish Highlands. It's so remote and scenic.

After I found my planned stop had "No overnight parking" signs, I found this lovely riverside spot in the Tay Forest Park near Pitlochry

6RVq3eQ.jpg

Took the scenic route

h55NBz9.jpg

Drove past this while driving North

bxfPE6Q.jpg

Decided to come back later to stay overnight

BRvD1q4.jpg

With great views out of the windows

j7C8owF.jpg

Took a bike trip round Loch Muick. I should've listened when the map said the cycle track turned into a rugged footpath!

Ap09Pld.jpg

Had a chat with the locals

DovKRsd.jpg

Last edited by kenbw2 (2018-12-29 01:03:09)

1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#2 2018-12-29 12:12:53

vaz2121

Re: A pre-Christmas trip to the Cairngorms. The sun even came out.

I'm really jelous ......... I can't help but need the "Medication" of heading North at a minimum of once/twice per year and this time of year is brilliant if a little more than a little busy in Avimore and the surrounding ski esk resorts... At least the midges are kept at bay with the crisper weather........ I do hope when you were in Pitlochry you stopped to go down inside the dam and witness the Salmon ladder.... I must admit it wasn't yesterday but last time I ventured the material they used for viewing into  (Windows) the ladder was getting rather opaque and scratched up.......... All to easy to blast past now with all the little by-passes on the A9....... which btw is a fairly encouraging quick/fast route hence in some areas quite disturbing accident record and almost as many speed camera's as trees on the road from Perth onwards...............
Sorry I digress.... Can you tell I used this road fequently with lorry going to/from Inverness  ETC..............

Photos look great wish it was me

#3 2018-12-29 12:51:29

vaz2121

Sorry again I was so engrossed in subject of Pitlochry and cairngorms I totaly missed the Loch Muick part I now realise you were opposite side of mountains and were the Royals  availaable or had they already moved on to Kings Lyn way......
So therfore did you visit Kirriemuir on way out  to see birthplace of J.M.Barrie (Authour of Peter Pan) and of course this guy

WRR_1958_Snapseed1.jpeg

I think I'm even more jelous now........

#4 2018-12-30 19:11:17

Ricko

Very jealous.
Just been sorting out my bike bracket on the tow bar.
Might have to have a trip up north.
It's calling me...

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

#5 2019-01-15 17:40:07

OAT

Can't go wrong up there can you ken?  Looks like another good trip.  How much do you recon on fuel for the round trip?  I just moved from Borders to Skipton so similar distance to go as you now.

vaz2121 wrote:

So therfore did you visit Kirriemuir on way out  to see birthplace of J.M.Barrie (Authour of Peter Pan) and of course this guy

smile

Thought it was a poor attempt at Alex Harvey at first.  But I see it now.

Isn't Kirriemuir the one with the camera obscura too?

Last edited by OAT (2019-01-15 17:44:14)

#6 2019-01-15 21:16:56

kenbw2

OAT wrote:

Can't go wrong up there can you ken?  Looks like another good trip.  How much do you recon on fuel for the round trip?  I just moved from Borders to Skipton so similar distance to go as you now.

I ballsed up my diesel-to-veg-oil ratio for the trip so I ended up doing the long drive on ~40% diesel which was unnecessary. The drive up there and back, plus running around I'd guesstimate at around £90-£100 in fuel. It's a fair bit, but free accommodation!

Skipton's a good base, just on the doorstep of the Dales so easy weekends away. Wouldn't mind joining you on a trip some time if you'd like.

#7 2019-01-16 17:06:40

OAT

I already know the Dales. Lakes and NY Moors very well.   Originally from Hull and lived in Skipton up till 4yrs ago.  Plenty of good spots up on the moors but I am increasingly finding it getting too busy in summer for my taste.

In the past few years I have been back and forth between the borders and Skipton every few weeks and have done a lot of short tours in the more northern dales and in Northumberland.  Very pleasantly surprised.  Finding equally remote and quiet stops and the small towns are far quieter.

Glad to meet up some time to have a nose around your van.  smile  Anywhere quiet and with a view is fine by me.  More important than ever as these days my hill climbing, cycling and long walks are over.  Might be a bit boring for you as all I do is soak up the peace, quiet and views.  But once settled back in Skipton, let me know if your planning a short trip.  Anywhere north of M62 would be fine by me.

#8 2019-01-17 20:54:14

kenbw2

OAT wrote:

In the past few years I have been back and forth between the borders and Skipton every few weeks and have done a lot of short tours in the more northern dales and in Northumberland.  Very pleasantly surprised.  Finding equally remote and quiet stops and the small towns are far quieter.

Those are places I've only explored a couple of times. I always feel like if I'm going that far, I might as well just keep going to the Highlands. Maybe I should rethink that.

OAT wrote:

Glad to meet up some time to have a nose around your van.  smile  Anywhere quiet and with a view is fine by me.  More important than ever as these days my hill climbing, cycling and long walks are over.  Might be a bit boring for you as all I do is soak up the peace, quiet and views.

You vastly overestimate the activity on my trips! Sitting with a brew in a quiet place, nice views and nice weather is exactly the sort of ideal trip I look for.

OAT wrote:

But once settled back in Skipton, let me know if your planning a short trip.  Anywhere north of M62 would be fine by me.

I'm always planning one trip or another so let me know when's good with you smile

#9 2019-01-18 01:20:28

OAT

kenbw2 wrote:

I'm always planning one trip or another so let me know when's good with you smile

You mean you actualy plan!!! wink

I'm only home when there is some demand keeping me there these days.  No commitments, and diesel in tank, and I'm off.  One of the few benefits of getting older I suppose.

Give me a couple of weeks to settle in and we'll sort something out.

#10 2019-01-18 01:51:59

kenbw2

OAT wrote:
kenbw2 wrote:

You mean you actualy plan!!! wink

If opening the map, thinking "where do I fancy going?" before driving off counts as a plan, then yes. I live in my Dispatch full time, so no real planning needed. Just make sure I'm not expected to be somewhere.

OAT wrote:

I'm only home when there is some demand keeping me there these days.  No commitments, and diesel in tank, and I'm off.  One of the few benefits of getting older I suppose.

That speaks to me so much.

OAT wrote:

Give me a couple of weeks to settle in and we'll sort something out.

Sounds good smile

#11 2019-01-22 01:56:22

vaz2121

OAT wrote:

Thought it was a poor attempt at Alex Harvey at first.  But I see it now.

Isn't Kirriemuir the one with the camera obscura too?

I wondered... "Where did Alex Harvey connection come from?" .... then.... I saw it....... (I was big on Alex Harvey back in the day and like me He was Native to Glasgow)

Don't know   of  any statues  of Alex Harvey
{We need to go to Fremantle harbour (His adoptive town) to see the other statue of the Guy in the photo}

N E X T

You are correct and I do beleive it was something to do with J. M. Barrie that Kirriemuir got a Cammera Obscura

(J.M.Barrie lived in Dumfries in Moat Brae....... Dumfries also has a Camera Obscura ...Only 3 in Scotland apparently)

Last edited by vaz2121 (2019-01-22 02:20:50)

Board footer