The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-09 12:26:02

vaz2121

Diesel's........................................Stating the Obvious

Excuse me as title says Stating the Obvious  isn't it?........... To 90% probably But as I say to my kids "Actions have consequences"........ or lack of them Same thing.......
and you can do your utmost best but if it's the wrong thing ....P** into the wind............

Diesels wear badly with poor air filtration ......... dirty air gets in and is like fine sandpaper on bores an rings............ and they fade away
Oil gets black especialy with diesels (because of the much high compression than petrol engines needed to ignite the fuel) It's soot and it's being suspended in the oil which is keeping inside from sooting up like a chimney and not only lubricating the engine it's helping cool it too .................... Hence why poor oil service means that it can't suspend any more soot it then acts like sandpaper an damages bearings ...............A lack of oil in engine also does no favours............. yikes

So keep the Air filtering as good as posable and plenty fresh oil service and it up to the mark............ Should give it a fighting chance................

There are a countless number of other factors in engine failure or longevity.... but regular oil and filter changes go a long long way in keeping any engine going...............
Again.......... "you pay your money...............your choice..................."

Please add your comments and 2P worth I don't wish to be the only Preacher...........

#2 2019-01-09 14:03:57

Casper

Re: Diesel's........................................Stating the Obvious

Every 5k here and if i have not reached that by my next euro trip it gets changes anyway.  I wait for a high percentage off weekend deal at Eurocarparts and just buy all filters and oil. Store it till i need to change.

#3 2019-01-09 15:41:59

k_wyndham_t

Does remind me I should probably at least look at the oil in my van some time, although as I have been building it for last 6 months and it had just had full service at the time of purchase should be fine, probably only done 500 miles since then.

#4 2019-01-09 23:15:41

kenbw2
Administrator

I do a full oil change every 2000 miles or so.

Sometimes I even open the drain plug...

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#5 2019-01-10 13:55:29

vaz2121

kenbw2 wrote:

I do a full oil change every 2000 miles or so.

Sometimes I even open the drain plug...

At first thought that's Plenty fresh oil ......... 2000mls..... That's  bordering on OCD or you do a very small annual milage......... I'm assuming your saying you have a Tad of an oil leak......... I suppose in that case the silver lining to that cloud is your up to Speed on rust prevention........... 

So far comments are as predicted ......up to speed or early on oil "Services" ...

Funny thing I've noteist over the years and no dout I've been guilty of it too ...... Checking levels and looking after newish car and toys.... But never check on older vehicles the one's that most probably need an eye kept on....

I also find it amazing ... The number of folk over the years that have seen british plates and have aproched or I have them ....  To discover in their predicament That they never checked anything bar loading Kids and sh**  and there vehicle was last serviced/had the bonnet open probably in the last millennium

Motorcycles :After Winter hibernation they both get a check over and a oil change this is more to do with condesation during lay up.........average.2...3,500mls (Allegedly)
(partners wee bike coming 12yrs old 7,500Mls... My wee bike soon to be 14yr old 22K )

Van: is like every 6...7,000mls ......... which works out a bit like Casper .... Either just before (during prep) for MOT or as I like 2 weeks (Not 2 hours before) at least prior to a jolly abroad.............
The Lorries tend to come in, hopefully serviced on down time IE. Saturday or sunday ... but the niggly problems of having serviced, fiddled with, disturbed something hence why I like a service on van/car a fortnight before depature to let thing settle down ...  doesn't allways work like that though..........
Trucks schedule is every 12 weeks or 10,000k's whichever is sooner........ They invariably  are done at every 7 or 8 weeks  and that's a fight usually to get it done (don't can't afford full time mechanic)....... and every second service is a fully documented Service/Saftey check also ...........(Gov ... Legal requirement)

pug 306 is much the same as van...... we've had it ten years (110K in last 8yrs) now and probably should have parted ways 4 or more years ago ....... No longer frontline  it's on retirement duties now .........

It's my partners car and it's remaind (in the fleet) simply because it's been so so reliable nearly 30,000mls out of a pair of front tyres, never uses water or oil between service.......

I Digress....... I buy my oil in(5gal) 20ltr drums (As required) Nothing special 10W40 semi synth  I try and keep it to about £35 or so for a drum..(you can do it for about £40 even on eB**)  and always have a couple of ltrs/a gal (vehicle dependant)on board ... when your doing large constant hours or motorway mileage I check daily (all levels You never know) at some point......... (first thing or fueling)

#6 2019-01-15 16:47:31

OAT

Although I suspect that recommended filter change intervals on petrol motors tend to be over cautious, I agree, they're best not to be neglected on diesels.

Can't say I check my oil levels as often as I should but so far it hasn't leaked a drop and doesn't use any.

#7 2019-02-18 11:43:56

unter
Website

I drive the older dispatch, yep, shes a keeper,  I changed the engine oil, then, a few days later I changed it again, so now he oil is clear and gold on the dipstick.   now thats caring.

monkey vano

#8 2019-02-24 18:25:26

Casper

unter wrote:

I drive the older dispatch, yep, shes a keeper,  I changed the engine oil, then, a few days later I changed it again, so now he oil is clear and gold on the dipstick.   now thats caring.

Done that a few times when buying a 2nd hand motor. Cheap supermarket oil to act as a flushing oil then a better quality soon after.

Board footer