The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-12 01:01:35

lensworx

Project Fraya - Peugeot Expert Conversion

Hi everyone

Well after about 2 years of talking about it, I finally took the plunge and got my hands on a van to convert a few days ago.
A 2003 Peugeot Expert Eurobus. 122000 miles on the clock, a few things to sort out but overall pretty good condition.

Working 4 on 4 off I have a fair amount of free time and being keen photographer this seemed like the perfect solution.
Living on the west coast of wales (near Aberystwyth) I spend a lot of time out in the sticks and having the ability to spend a few days around snowdonia etc... without having to come home each night or pitch a tend is going to be welcome change.

IMG_20190409_105625.jpeg

Last edited by lensworx (2019-04-12 01:44:58)

#2 2019-04-12 01:19:01

lensworx

Re: Project Fraya - Peugeot Expert Conversion

So over the last few days I got started with the conversion.
The first task was to strip the inside which was a lot easier than I thought it would be (almost too easy - more on this later).

IMG_20190408_163626.jpeg

IMG_20190409_114057.jpeg

What remained was not so easy. The van in a previous life must have been used to transport wheelchair users, it had been modified and fitted the tie downs to secure wheel chairs.
Trying to remove them was not possible as they had been bolted underneath a ply floor that must have been stuck down by god himself (a crowbar was attempted and just chipped the wood).

IMG_20190409_124650.jpeg

I managed to remove and hack away at the rubber flooring to reveal all the ply and set about making stand-offs to lay the new floor over the existing one whilst clearing the remaining fixings(this would also allow for additional insulation and running extra cables).

IMG_20190409_191923.jpeg

#3 2019-04-12 01:39:03

lensworx

Once the new floor supports had been left glued into place and left to dry overnight I proceeded to cut and fit the additional floor.
The insulation and carpet that I had ordered could not be delivered due to an error in posting and the package was too large for the local courier.
I am now waiting for the courier in question to send it out on a van.

As I could not do a lot else I set about building the kitchen area and the bed.
The kitchen area is made in the main using recycled kitchen units left over from a kitchen conversion we have just finished.
At this stage all that is holding everything in place is gravity and a few screws that can be removed to pull everything back out again.
Once I have the insulation in place then I can start securing everything down and continue with the build.

IMG_20190411_185455.jpeg

IMG_20190411_185449.jpeg

The bed is 50% complete and I am doing a typical pullout design. I intend trying to keep as much of the rear trim as possible and just insulate everything really well.
Having the extra windows is great but not have a tonne of extra ply on walls to fix things to has made for a few head scratching moments.

I am now working for the next 4 days so will not have a chance to do much (working till 10PM).
There will be a few extra orders going in over the coming days for bits for the conversion (funds permitting) so I have them ready for my next days off.

#4 2019-04-12 13:44:51

k_wyndham_t

You can get several layers of insulation behind those side panels. I used a headlining in mine too and got a couple layers in behind that too using the typical aluminium bubble wrap stuff although the headlining is pretty well insulated it self.

#5 2019-04-12 17:30:46

tee_cee

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the van cost?

#6 2019-04-12 18:05:52

Ricko

Looking good so far, handy having the windows already fitted, I'm sure you'll have good fun doing the conversion.

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

#7 2019-04-12 23:05:48

lensworx

Thanks everyone
Tee_Cee I payed £450 for the van as there is small spot of welding that needs doing under the drivers footwell.
All the insulation and carpet arrived today along with the tinting material for the windows.

I have ordered most of the electrics today (110Ah AGM leasure battery, Durite 140A Split charge kit and 1000w pure sinewave inverter) so should have then to start installing on my next set of days off.

The front seats imho are shocking, I have a possible lead on a set of RX8 front seats that I may well try and retrofit but currently looking at different options.

More updates as work progresses

#8 2019-04-17 23:28:23

lensworx

Well got a few days off so spent them sorting the van.
The insulation finally arrived along with a whole host of other bits for the conversion.

The first task yesterday was to insulate the doors pillars and wheel well areas. I did not want to pull off the door card completely due the clips being very brittle and not having replacements.
I took the steps to just remove the top most ones and pack the insulation down from the tops.
Next was to tackle on of the things that I was not looking forward to, the carpets. This I found very difficult indeed and trying to get it to conform to shapes was a nightmare.
Finally got everything done and then laid the main floor carpet. I intend to leave the painted area on show and will see if I get much condensation as a result.

IMG_20190416_114122.jpeg

IMG_20190416_155039.jpeg

IMG_20190416_203958.jpeg

Still need to get rid of some of the excess glue and give a few areas a little trip  but pretty happy with the results.

Today I set about sorting the bed and storage area. I opted for the standard pullout design and blocked off some areas that can still be accessed via the doors for added security when transporting camera equipment etc... this should still allow for easy access but not be in plain sight.
The bottom storage bin area will be separated off for normal storage and the corner behind the passenger seat will house the leisure battery and inverter etc...
Still a few bits of ply to add and then its just bolting it all down.

IMG_20190417_141021.jpeg

IMG_20190417_171701.jpeg

IMG_20190417_171718.jpeg

I have also run the main cable for the split charge system down the wing and to the rear of the passenger seat, just got to put all the trim back.
Tomorrows job is to sort the split charge system and all the electrics, pull the headliner to insulate and run the lights.

One thing I am considering is moving the feed for the interior lighting from the standard battery over to the leisure battery on the standard fuse board. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would love to hear them.

#9 2019-04-18 02:11:20

OAT

lensworx wrote:

One thing I am considering is moving the feed for the interior lighting from the standard battery over to the leisure battery on the standard fuse board. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would love to hear them.

I put all interior electrics onto my leisure battery.  Even the dash CD/Radio.  If my leisure fails I can manage with candles, torches or gas.  But I am always over protective of my starter battery. 

I don't use a lot of electric myself but even so keeping stuff charged can be a right pain on extended stop overs.  If you have a lot of camera gear bear it in mind.  Not so much a problem if driving every fay though.

#10 2019-04-18 09:57:30

vaz2121

OAT wrote:

I am always over protective of my starter battery. 

keeping stuff charged can be a right pain on extended stop overs.

I'm also quite protective of the starter battery............ must be all those chilly mornings over the years hunting out jump cables ..................

My van has some sort of black magic going on .............When engine is running anything powered by the Liesure battery is isolated and the Liesure battery is charged........ So I've added a few extra 12v power sockets and USB to both front and back batteries......... I can be a PITA to remember to plug in rear when stopped and plug in front when moving.......

I do agree when stopped for a good while, power to the rear can become an issue (started to change lights in rear from tubes to LED's and try to only charge phones over night).......... All 12v socket in front are only live via ingition............ I've got a couple power banks with USB etc on them and having a look at Solar ones ...... But my Problem is two fold
1.what Ive got are few yrs old now... kinda bulky as they can double as a starter pack and extra cluter, weight...............
2. I'm forever either forgeting to bring them along or to charge them up again.................. (usualy both)

I do have 240v plug in and a Honda generator but that's worse and noisy

#11 2019-04-18 17:37:50

lensworx

Thanks. How hard was it to transfer the radio / lights over to the leisure battery? is there an easy place to swap the feeds?

#12 2019-04-18 23:35:05

OAT

lensworx wrote:

Thanks. How hard was it to transfer the radio / lights over to the leisure battery? is there an easy place to swap the feeds?

Don't know but could something be done at the fuse?  Splice in, disconnect the original fuse and run a feed to your leisure battery fuse box?  I am far more bodge it and pray here than auto electrician btw.  Don't do it without asking someone more sensible.

Almost embarrassed to admit I had mine done for me when I was in for some mot work. 

I have extremely limited mobility these days, I now have to pay, often extortionately to have almost every little thing done.

Last edited by OAT (2019-04-18 23:35:54)

#13 2019-04-20 20:14:06

kenbw2
Administrator

OAT wrote:
lensworx wrote:

Don't know but could something be done at the fuse?

I did exactly that on my Synergie. Take the fuse out, take a positive feed from the leisure battery and wrap it around the fuse. Not exactly factory spec but it did the job.

On my current one I just provided a different feed to the back of the stereo because t had all been chopped in a former life anyway

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#14 2019-04-20 20:15:36

kenbw2
Administrator

My god, you've got exactly the doors I need in the right colour. Your rear quarter windows are enough, you don't need the windowed doors, right? smile

Looks a nice van, and your conversion job looks very tidy

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#15 2019-04-26 17:27:53

lensworx

Well I bit of an update, Fraya is alive.

Got the major parts of the build out the way now and she stands functional and ready for her first outing.
The split charge system, leisure battery, lighting, control panel and inverter are all now wired up and working.

The magnetic blinds, seating / bed has been completed and the front curtain installed.
Apart from filling with food, water and a number of storage containers she is ready to go on her first road trip
There are few extras and touch ups that I will be doing over the coming weeks and I am sure I will find additional extras (like installing a table and fixed cooker for DVLA)

I have found that I have a small leak coming from somewhere near the rear door / rear quarter window, this is going to need investigation as I found a small puddle on my worktop this morning after driving rain lastnight

IMG_20190426_170903.jpeg

IMG_20190426_170918.jpeg

IMG_20190426_171010.jpeg

Board footer