The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-24 22:08:23

Den 1

Sidelights won't switch off

Hello, I have a 1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D and have a problem with the lights as they will not turn off.  The sidelights at front and rear and dash lights all stay on even though they are switched off, I have to disconnect the battery every time I park up.  This problem has happened once or twice before and has cleared itself up but this time it hasn't and now the battery is starting to suffer as I sometimes forget to disconnect it.  I thought the problem may of been the light switch but pulling the multi-plugs from the back of the light switch still hasn't switched them off.

Any ideas please?

Regards
Den

#2 2019-04-24 23:25:16

Casper

Re: Sidelights won't switch off

My next port of call would be a new relay.

#3 2019-04-25 13:29:33

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

My next port of call would be a new relay.

I'd agree with Casper...........
If you've disconected the light switch and the lights are still on something is shorting out somewhere and continuing to feed power............
So YES checking out for a faulty relay is a good port of call to start with................

Stay on the KISS principle before going mad and ripping stuff out.............. check the obvious and rule it out

(KISS= Keep It Simple Stupid)

#4 2019-04-25 20:33:20

Casper

I never had this in my pug 19D but any chance you have the system like VW when you switch engine off while indicating the side lights stay on? Some safety parking crap that VW come up with. There latest one where a fog lamp comes on with the indicator is an accident waiting to happen if you ask me.

#5 2019-04-26 10:29:47

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

I never had this in my pug 19D but any chance you have the system like VW when you switch engine off while indicating the side lights stay on?

I've never tried that on van...............
I honestly don't think it's advanced enough for that but I've been spectacularly wrong before and no dout will again.................
I have noticed on one of our other vehicles where we've put indicator on and then stopped that side sidelights been on returning  to car ...... needs remebering to switch everything off ..........

#6 2019-04-26 13:22:46

Den 1

Thanks for all the replies, is there 1 relay that would cause this problem? as the only relays I can see that have anything to do with lighting are the 2 under the bonnet in the fuse box, when these 2 are pulled the lights are still on. There is a green relay behind the glovebox that has melted but upon removal they are still on. I dont have any data on component locations etc so I could do with a bit more help if that's ok.
Regards Den

#7 2019-04-26 16:59:19

Casper

There s an owners handbook in the download section what will tell you all relay locations.

#8 2019-04-26 21:02:49

Den 1

I have downloaded a couple of manuals but I cannot see any relay that would keep all the sidelights on?? Could some please clarify Caspers comment in post 2 regarding a new relay? Trying to stay on the KISS principle smile
Regards Den

#9 2019-04-27 09:01:31

tee_cee

Looking at the circuit diagrams, there is no relay -  the switching is only in the stalk.
There are two 5A orange fuses at the glovebox
F4 for front left and rear right (and headlight adjustment)
F9 for front right and rear left (and number plate)
Since all the lights are on the fault must between the fusebox and stalk
I'd be looking at dismantling the stalk and cleaning it. It's not too difficult if you take it slowly.

The diagrams are here https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/foru … php?id=279
Section 26 page 82/83 - the front sidelights are 2620 2625 and rears are 2630 2635

Last edited by tee_cee (2019-04-27 09:06:52)

#10 2019-04-27 10:19:34

Den 1

Thanks for the links. If the wiring to the stalk is disconnected and the lights are still on as mentioned in my first post then surely I shouldn't need to start stripping down the switch?? I will take the front dash panel off later and have a good look. I should have mentioned that a while back the drain tubes in the bulkhead were partially blocked, a 2 minute job that got never got done till the tidal wave bathed the fuse box and filled the heater motor and the footwells up. I did dry it all up and everything still worked ok.

Regards Den

#11 2019-04-27 12:58:00

tee_cee

Den 1 wrote:

Thanks for the links. If the wiring to the stalk is disconnected and the lights are still on as mentioned in my first post then surely I shouldn't need to start stripping down the switch?? I will take the front dash panel off later and have a good look. I should have mentioned that a while back the drain tubes in the bulkhead were partially blocked, a 2 minute job that got never got done till the tidal wave bathed the fuse box and filled the heater motor and the footwells up. I did dry it all up and everything still worked ok.

Regards Den

What happens when you pull each fuse?
Also, with the stalk disconnected, did you check that the other lights etc. don't work just to make sure.

Last edited by tee_cee (2019-04-27 13:02:00)

#12 2019-04-27 13:22:37

OAT

Den 1 wrote:

I should have mentioned that a while back the drain tubes in the bulkhead were partially blocked, a 2 minute job that got never got done till the tidal wave bathed the fuse box and filled the heater motor and the footwells up.

Regards Den

Same thing happened when I first picked mine up.  It was indeed a tidal wave.

Did you take the mat out to dry it?  It is getting on for 2" thick with sound deadening and if not fully dried off, will rot your floor.  I could hardly pick mine up for the weight of water in it.

#13 2019-04-28 14:17:49

vaz2121

Den 1 wrote:

Regards Den

Do you know what the melted ish relay was for ..... Might be worth looking around that type of area and associated wiring to see if there's a short.............

Is there any other odd symptoms going on as it could be something not Earthing properly and doing so back through the lights........................

#14 2019-05-18 16:54:59

Den 1

Sorry for the delay in replying. Pulling F25 in fusebox under dash turns lights off, is the dispatch owners handbook posted by Tiree the correct handbook for my early 1999 model? Also what is inside the fusebox under the dash? please tell me its not a pcb sad  sorry for so many questions

Regards Den

#15 2019-05-24 11:20:53

Den 1

Seems nobody knows the answers to my questions sad never mind. I  have left out f25 for now and will look again in a week or 2 as I need to get floor matting out as its still streaming and also mot is due in few days so I don't want to go upsetting anything else, its all working as it should for now.
F25 is in the interior light circuit and this stopped working a while ago as did the left lights on buzzer, will update when I can, thanks for the suggestions so far.
Den

Board footer