The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-16 11:51:52

vaz2121

Idle Thoughts

I've been milling about in my head for a while now about Turboing a DW8...........
That's the easy bit........... (eBay or Breaker for bits)

Regards a very recent question on forum ......... a potentiometer..............

Would this be reqired after fitting a Turbo ............

Certainly 405's and probably Several 406's had some of the last TD XUD's before All HDI...... but did they have a MAF, potentiometer and the ECU even if earlier versions as we appear to have in the DW8/B

It's certainly something I'd consider for my van as said the only real time I craved for more oomph was crossing the pyrenees (it's handy at loads of other times too)
It would extend the lifespan in my ownership..................

#2 2019-05-18 06:26:44

Ricko

Re: Idle Thoughts

Hmmm, I've had both normally aspirated and turbo versions of that engine, Cit BX and Pug 405 respectively. I remember getting the 405 straight after the BX and thinking...this is the future.
Is it really worth all the mother, or just enjoy vanning until the time comes to move up to another.
I've not driven a n/a diesel for ages so cant imagine what it's like.
Always rated that XUD engine though....

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

#3 2019-05-18 10:26:09

vaz2121

I've Turbo'd a N/A diesel before as long as Iv'e got all the bits it's relitivly easy bolt on ....... oil return was just dropped straight in sump .... Turbo oil feed was not just as easy........
All this was done when engine was out for a bit of a freshen up and was more of a spur of the moment thing as the Bits had become available (The build took twice as long to finish than planned though)
Over the Turn of the millennium I was partnered up with a consultants and was based around the S.East and I too had during that time a 205 STDT, 405GRDT and for about the last six months of that "Contract" I had the use of a 106 "Mardi Gras"
So When about 10 or so yrs ago... the Vectra that had been handed down to my partner moved on......... We aquired a 307 HDI 110 Rapier......... mostly on the strength of the 205 I must admit..........
For a car that had only 70,000mls on it what a disaster.......... After VV Turbo, DPF, Injector problems the final straw came with the Duel Mass Sh****g it's self and I sold it in bits

Within a few day the 306 popped up and after a power steering pump, a drive shaft (ABS light was on) from breakers and a couple tyres for fresh MOT it was pressed into service.......(although getting on and in semi retirment duties { 2 or 3000 a yr not the 20,000 for about the 5-6yrs at first} it's more than healthy at 210,000 ish)
Yes It's a bit of a Slugg but not as bad as you'd think....... but Obviously the van with basicly the same engine and a wee bit more weight to drag about makes it more "Leisure experience"
But still not as bad as you'd think ...... when load up with supplies for a trip it is noticeable especially stirring the box on the hills ............ I tend to run at 55-60..... 60-65 on motorways

You do have a point as Iv'e had it 4yrs now and as with my bikes every yr you get a hankering for A New Toy and one of those times you'll just do it

I suppose................

#4 2019-05-18 21:26:10

Casper

TBH when i bought my last Expert for my mini camper had i known how sluggish they are i would have kept looking for a turbo version. I was pulling over going up mountains in the Black Forest to let trucks and line of cars past.  Was not fussed this time round as its just a work van and will more than likely never leave the East Lothian area. It may visit Edinburgh.
My Convoy comes in a 2.5 non turbo version what i could only see as being hell driving that long distance. Two years ago i had a speed limiter (60MPH) and for me sitting in with a line of trucks was hell also i was holding people up trying to pass said trucks. As long as i can do 70mph when away and have the ability to accelerate past traffic im happy

#5 2019-05-18 22:02:43

kenbw2
Administrator

I've often been frustrated with the DW8's lack of power, especially as I had the 1.9TD before it. It's a little disappointing at times.

What I find has helped the most is something I read on the Berlingo forum - that you find it fine once you just learn to live life a bit more slowly. Don't try to go 70mph in the 3rd lane because you're just gonna sit there with foot to the floor doing 60 on any slight uphill. I find it easier to sit in with the trucks going 56mph, and just enjoy a more relaxing drive.

That said, I've bought a 1.9TD Dispatch now so I can't say I've embraced the DW8. I've... accepted it.

Last edited by kenbw2 (2019-05-18 22:03:04)

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#6 2019-05-18 23:20:22

Casper

kenbw2 wrote:

What I find has helped the most is something I read on the Berlingo forum - that you find it fine once you just learn to live life a bit more slowly. Don't try to go 70mph in the 3rd lane because you're just gonna sit there with foot to the floor doing 60 on any slight uphill. I find it easier to sit in with the trucks going 56mph, and just enjoy a more relaxing drive.

Here in the UK i could live with that but when mile munching in Euroland you can be stuck in a line of 20+ trucks and anything i hate is being stuck in traffic. Having the power to pass them is a god send. This is why i got the speed limiter lifted in my convoy.

#7 2019-05-23 16:38:14

vaz2121

Casper wrote:
kenbw2 wrote:

Here in the UK i could live with that but when mile munching in Euroland you can be stuck in a line of 20+ trucks and anything i hate is being stuck in traffic. Having the power to pass them is a god send. This is why i got the speed limiter lifted in my convoy.

I think I possibly need to quantify my statement..............

You all express valid points that I understand and take onboard..................
As Ricko questions ........ Is it really worth the effort and investment ?
As kenbw2 has said maybe I have embraced the DW8...........
As Casper has pointed out being stuck in a line of 20+trucks ....................

My thoughts were not really just associated to speed........... Being a member of the old foggy variety now  maybe I'm happy to "embrace the DW8"
I've spent more years than I care to remember being one of those 20 + lorries in a que
As a consequence I tend have a mindset in van as though it's the lorry on distance
I've had a full motorcycle license 42  years past(March 1977)..... my cravings for some speed were looked after with my bike whatever at time (CBX and a CBR1100XX to name a couple) and for a period of a good couple years right up to my Divo***  at end of 90's (Settlements were crippling) V Spec R33 GTR...............

To be fair I knew what a non turbo meant when I bought it...... It was one reason I did (Simplicity not HDI) Stuck at 60 MPH is the same at 70 BHP as it is with 530BHP {almost}
My 1st proper speed limiter encounter was fitted to a 1988 440bhp Mercedes set at 60MPH ........ The last one I had on "my everyday Vehicle" was a  ScaniaV8 530 bhp and was set at 56MPH........
So It was more for the ability to climb the hills I was looking at and yes The extra torque..... HP does mean you can run and maintain that higher average speed with less driver fatigue/input.... and maintain or better the MPG

But .... We are contemplating something "new".... bigger whatever but at mo it's health issues is one of the reasons that have been preventing us from using our van as we intended when we got it........ Hence why it'll do "another season"

#8 2019-05-23 21:59:01

kenbw2
Administrator

One thing I appreciate about the DW8 is that even though it's got nothing to give it some oomph, it's got nothing to go wrong.

I say this having just had to replace my TD's Intercooler and now the turbo's making funny noises on boost.

The DW8 is as basic as you can get - the last of the purely mechanical engines (the DW8B's slight computeriness notwithstanding).

It's nothing impressive, but it's a trusty reliable simple engine. I'm keeping hold of the 90s tech while I still can, because in the future I'll have to accept the flashy electronic gubbins.

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#9 2019-05-24 09:06:19

vaz2121

kenbw2 wrote:

One thing I appreciate about the DW8 is that even though it's got nothing to give it some oomph, it's got nothing to go wrong.

I say this having just had to replace my TD's Intercooler and now the turbo's making funny noises on boost.

The DW8 is as basic as you can get - the last of the purely mechanical engines (the DW8B's slight computeriness notwithstanding).

It's nothing impressive, but it's a trusty reliable simple engine. I'm keeping hold of the 90s tech while I still can, because in the future I'll have to accept the flashy electronic gubbins.

Well Said that man..........

In a conversation that doesn't seem that long ago We reckoned that we'd be driving Daewoo's , Chevy's or whatever Asian or Eastern block old Tech by now or whatever they were knocking out (How wrong were we)....................

Technology is a wonderful thing BUT You have a very valid point...........
My Bench mark Diesel was a 1986 V8 Scania that had No computer influence was rated at 420 BHP still managed 9MPG fully freighted at 38 tons + and out performed everything Ive had since (As an overall package)...........

As far as your Intercooler and possible Turbo issues ............
I think you've been unlucky coming along when you did or van did .............
We're not getting any younger and as time passes these simple machines will need a decent amount of fettling (Old age doesn't come on it's own as they say).............

It's a Catch 22 ..........
We wish to use and enjoy them = wear them out
Just use them on occasion and preserve them =They stand about seize up and never run properly when they do

There comes a point when we must call it a day .........But........... How long is a piece of string ?

Board footer