The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-25 22:14:49

Zippypilot

ring and suspension bushes/steering rack bushes and rod end ball joint

Hi all, I bought a 2002 Citroen Dispatch 2ltr HDi. love it! always wanted one and paid £750. Yes it comes with problems but it's a nice project! I have had so much trouble trying to find any maintenance manuals or videos about the van to overhaul all the suspension bushes and steering components (it does knock quite badly!) I would really appreciate help with diagrams/part numbers/videos etc.

This van is rust free, basic but ideal and should be great for my little furniture business.

Thanks if you can help

Gary

Ps, I should add that I want to do the work on it myself and get it back to near new condition, (160,000 miles so any help with engine cam-belt change etc would be great)

Last edited by Zippypilot (2019-06-25 22:26:43)

#2 2019-06-25 23:13:57

Casper

Re: ring and suspension bushes/steering rack bushes and rod end ball joint

Service manual in the download section mate. As for how to videos unless Scudo Camper on youtube covered it then i would just go with something like a Pug306 as the running gear is very similar. No bushes in EuroCarParts or the sweedish,german,french site?

#3 2019-06-25 23:20:16

kenbw2

Yea the lack of manuals for this van is odd. I have a copy of the only one that seems to exist, which I can check at the weekend if you like

There's this video for the rear suspension bushes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAjKuw_nyDE

The general consensus I've had though with my various knocks is that it's eaier to just replace the wishbones/rear axle than to mess about with the bushes.

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion + full time home
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#4 2019-06-26 03:15:31

Ricko

The bottom ball joints are under tension and movement cant always be detected even at MOT time.
Get a crowbar on top of the spigot that sticks up front the clamp part. If it can be moved try fitting a new pinch bolt. Mine was knocking quite bad before I replaced both bottom ball joint pinch bolts.

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

#5 2019-06-26 20:58:25

Zippypilot

Wow! Thanks guys, Casper, I will have a look for the service manuals on here (new to it so should have looked lol), KenbW2, great detail about the rear suspenion, was kind of hoping it would be easy to do, food for thought about removing the whole thing, and Ricko, great detail on the ball joints, that will be the first job, great to be here and get this level of great info!

Gary

Last edited by Zippypilot (2019-06-26 20:59:13)

#6 2019-06-26 21:02:23

Zippypilot

Ps, Ken, great vid link, I appreciate if you can look at the one and only manual for me (never thought that would be gold dust for such a popular multi maker van!) Gary

Last edited by Zippypilot (2019-06-26 21:02:56)

#7 2019-06-26 21:07:30

Zippypilot

Ricko, spot on! there is movement and will do both sides, thanks smile

#8 2019-06-27 06:19:11

Ricko

Zippypilot wrote:

Ricko, spot on! there is movement and will do both sides, thanks smile

I used genuine parts, just in case they were hardened or something, they were only a couple of quid.

#9 2019-07-01 12:23:00

kenbw2

Zippypilot wrote:

Ps, Ken, great vid link, I appreciate if you can look at the one and only manual for me (never thought that would be gold dust for such a popular multi maker van!) Gary

So I've got the book now. What is it you need information on?

Front or rear suspension bushes? Ball joints?

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion + full time home
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#10 2019-07-02 22:20:05

steve the grease

I do have a Revue Technique manual for the Synergie/806. It is very comprehensive, but of course it is in French and only covers the older 2.1td, 1.9td and 1.9. It does cover very comprehensively the other aspects of the vehicles , clutch, gearbox, brakes suspension and so forth,   except the later engines. I could scan it one section at a time if there is any demand. It's several hundred pages so don't expect anything overnight.

#11 2019-07-03 13:11:35

tee_cee

steve the grease wrote:

I do have a Revue Technique manual for the Synergie/806. It is very comprehensive, but of course it is in French and only covers the older 2.1td, 1.9td and 1.9. It does cover very comprehensively the other aspects of the vehicles , clutch, gearbox, brakes suspension and so forth,   except the later engines. I could scan it one section at a time if there is any demand. It's several hundred pages so don't expect anything overnight.

If you do decide to scan, I'd recommend using a phone and the Office Lens app by Microsoft. It allows you to take pics of pages at an angle, and it will automatically crop and straighten the edges.

#12 2019-07-04 22:08:44

Zippypilot

kenbw2 wrote:
Zippypilot wrote:

So I've got the book now. What is it you need information on?

Front or rear suspension bushes? Ball joints?

Hi Ken, I need info on replacing the rear trailing arm bushes, the steering rack bushes (they seem quite worn having a good look around the other day), the steering rod ends and the upper and lower control rod arm bushes, not much really smile

#13 2019-07-04 22:14:16

Zippypilot

steve the grease wrote:

Hi there! Wow, sounds a huge task for you! Brakes would be good to see, I guess all the troubles with my Dispatch are just previous owners not replacing, which really are, consumable components before they MOT and sell

#14 2019-07-04 22:28:33

OAT

Ricko wrote:

Mine was knocking quite bad before I replaced both bottom ball joint pinch bolts.

Was that knock on compression or rebound?

Mine is giving a distinct single knock on rebound.

#15 2019-07-09 06:29:30

Ricko

OAT wrote:
Ricko wrote:

Mine was knocking quite bad before I replaced both bottom ball joint pinch bolts.

Was that knock on compression or rebound?

Mine is giving a distinct single knock on rebound.

Mine passed the MOT last year, then a mate of mine who's a garage owner, was travelling in the passenger side and commented about the bottom ball joint.
He told me to get a crowbar onto the spigot that sticks up and see if theres any play. The bottom ball joint is under compression and any vertical play is not necessarily picked up on the MOT.
When I removed the pinch bolt there was some wear to it so I bought a new bolt, replaced it and hey presto, no movement. I did the other side a fortnight later when I noticed it going clunk.

#16 2019-07-09 12:34:16

steve the grease

I think the bottom ball joint/ lower arm join  is an example of very poor design. My Xantia ( and 405 the same) uses a taper and a nut. The nut of course  pulls the taper into its socket and its all tight.  Many PSA designs ( Berlingo, etc, etc )use a parralel pin and a pinch bolt, simple and no taper to break , so they can be easier to undo.   The dispatch/ Expert/ Scudo  uses a tapered pin in  split tapered hole , with a pinch bolt.  Unless the taper is pushed up into it's  socket when the pinch bolt is tightened, whats to say it is actually tight in there ( rather than the bolt being tight.) These are well known for rattling loose , some people have to replace the hub carrier as the hole is so worn the pin won't engage. The  taper pin has a waist for the pinch bolt , so it can't actally fall out , just rattle about .  I think it's a poor design.

Board footer