The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-09 14:04:10

Flying Scot 15

Front subframe

Has anyone managed to rplace the front subframe rear nut in the chassis?
Tried to remove the bolts but 1 is spinning others are siezed. I assume they are some sort of captive nut.
Before I cut the heads off it would be good to know what is in there.

#2 2019-08-09 23:34:36

OAT

Re: Front subframe

Someone here may have more personal experience but over the years I have talked about subframe removal with three different garages.  None fancied it and all warned of expecting problems with sized bolts requiring cutting out old captive nuts, making good and fitting new nuts.  Do'able but expensive at hourly garage rates.

They didn't want to talk money but admited worse cases could be £800+.  Fortunately it didn't need doing in the end.

Would need good facilities to diy I should think.

#3 2019-08-09 23:38:15

vaz2121

Flying Scot 15 wrote:

Has anyone managed to rplace the front subframe rear nut in the chassis?
Tried to remove the bolts but 1 is spinning others are siezed. I assume they are some sort of captive nut.
Before I cut the heads off it would be good to know what is in there.

This is not really an answer but you should talk with the guy or his equivalent near you that had to drop my subframe to change the clutch as the outer rear bolt on drivers side broke (As far as I was told) and you can see under the wheel arch where he's had to peel it open and reweld (Along with all the uderseal Sh**) after getting it out ...............
I'm told by a couple of Mechanic friends (With a few choice words and phrases) that what you are describing is the norm on these ........

#4 2019-08-11 14:35:22

Flying Scot 15

Thanks guys but I have managed to get subframe off.
The front bolts came out easily. 2 of the front  six rear bolts were spinning the other 4 siezed.
Ended up cutting the heads off and dropping the frame.
The siezed bolts were able to turn inwards but no way would they come out. Ended up cutting them closer to chassis slotting them and screwing them in so they fell inside the chassis but the nuts were clear and usable.
The remaining 2 that were spinning I drilled a 5 mm hole through the bottom of the chassis through the blind nut. I tapped this m6 and fitted an m6 countersunk screw. This held the captive nut and allowed the remaing bolts to be removed as the rest.
The 5mm hole needs to be drilled 6mm to rear of the stuck bolt.
Replacement subframe easily  fitted with new bolts.

#5 2019-08-11 18:16:59

OAT

Flying Scot 15 wrote:

The siezed bolts were able to turn inwards but no way would they come out. Ended up cutting them closer to chassis slotting them and screwing them in so they fell inside the chassis but the nuts were clear and usable.
The remaining 2 that were spinning I drilled a 5 mm hole through the bottom of the chassis through the blind nut. I tapped this m6 and fitted an m6 countersunk screw. This held the captive nut and allowed the remaing bolts to be removed as the rest.

Nice elegant solution. 

Proper mechanic.  smile

Board footer