The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-08 22:32:03

Axelfols

Water coming out of sill

Hi guys,

Noticed small blisters of paint on off side sill holding tiny amounts of water. I treated the sills last year and everything is still holding up great except this small area. The vehicle has been sitting so i'm wondering if its coming through the holes in the roof where the roof rack is mounted? Anyone else have this issue or know how to solve the mystery?

sills1.jpg

sills.jpg

#2 2019-08-09 09:09:26

k_wyndham_t

Re: Water coming out of sill

I have had the exact same issue, creating bubbles of water on the sills and if left it rusts the sills, the metal wasnt holed and the underseal seamed intact too so I dont understand how the water got there.

#3 2019-08-09 09:29:23

vaz2121

Axelfols wrote:

Hi guys,

Noticed small blisters of paint on off side sill holding tiny amounts of water. I treated the sills last year and everything is still holding up great except this small area. The vehicle has been sitting so i'm wondering if its coming through the holes in the roof where the roof rack is mounted? Anyone else have this issue or know how to solve the mystery?

https://i.postimg.cc/YGgsdyN9/sills1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/TyBsqXDF/sills.jpg

I noticed a good couple years back blisters appearing on mostly the O/S sill the rear most 6... 10 inch mostly.......... which I had attended too...........

It seemed very shortly after that the N/S began to get effected but this time several over middle to rear mostly and largest about size of  5p piece But when pierced none had any water inside  on either side........ So this side was also attended to............

The year before the van sat about prety much doing nothing all year from one MOT to the next .......... Anyway when van was given once over and sort of pressed back into some sort of service the blisters had returned pretty much as before ............... But it past it's test Ok

Fast forward to about  this time  last year ....... Van needed a clutch So in it went for that (But not usual garage)  sills pointed out to me that blisters were growing..........
Oct--- Nov last year it returned to said garage for second time sill treatment ............. again no water in blisters but on paint removal I assume with grinder or flapwheel It ended up with a piece of sill right at end O/S at rear wheel starting to get very very thin and hole ......... At this point I was summond up and shown the evidence

I was informed "If I continue it could look like this all way to good metal and how long is a piece of string"........... He reckoned it was coming fom the inside out and at this point hadn't found any drain holes or that they were bloked and the water that had caused blisters had drained through paint over time or evaporated back into sill..........

I had Both sills replaced........

That doesn't answer your question really and your sill doesn't look that bad....... But is there a drain hole there or meant to be there and blocked ..........
Is it a lowish point and water's looking to creep out between seam there............

I dout very much this is from roof rack mounts.......... more likley condensation with sitting or a leak around door or window seal and as Shi* slildes downwards

#4 2019-08-09 15:49:21

Axelfols

Thanks for that Vaz. Hmmm, i'll check the near side sill for drain holes, you might be right as the nearside isnt showing similar signs. The van hasn't covered any miles since its been off the road 3 and a half years ago so it may be condensation/dampness because its been sitting for a long time. Seems like its not just me then. I don't know about you but i get quite obsessive about getting to the bottom of these little niggles. My aim is to rectify matters or i'l be needing a new sill(s).

#5 2019-08-09 20:23:43

ruston

Mine is exactly the same!  I thought it was because water was getting in where the top sliding door guide was missing but after replacing that it still leaks water. I have the bubbling paint as well but haven't bothered doing anything just yet, the MOT tester never mentions it!  smile  I'm guessing those of you with camper conversions will get more condensation inside that could find its way into the sills, my old VW camper suffered with that problem?

Pete.

#6 2019-08-15 23:30:45

Ricko

I picked at the blisters on the sills...it opened up into a hole and I needed to weld it!!

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

#7 2019-08-16 00:12:31

GRIFFIN

Ah, I haven't got holes in the sills yet but I put a piece of cloth in the little cubby hole near the floor, just behind my curb side sliding door. The next day after torrential rain, I notice the cloth was soaking wet. I put my hand up in the recess towards the central sliding door rail and there were drips of water but I cant find where they are coming from. The only place I can think of is the seam where the bodywork bends and meets up with the door runner channel. When I get time I may try to fill the join with some clear silicone sealant and see if it stops the leak. If your van has inner panelling, you obviously wont be able to see into this area but it may be worth taking a look after some heave rain to check if it is wet. The water on mine is obviously draining away somewhere and the sills are right bellow.

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same

#8 2019-08-16 22:27:55

vaz2121

GRIFFIN wrote:

Ah, I haven't got holes in the sills yet but I put a piece of cloth in the little cubby hole near the floor, just behind my curb side sliding door. The next day after torrential rain, I notice the cloth was soaking wet. I put my hand up in the recess towards the central sliding door rail and there were drips of water but I cant find where they are coming from. The only place I can think of is the seam where the bodywork bends and meets up with the door runner channel. When I get time I may try to fill the join with some clear silicone sealant and see if it stops the leak. If your van has inner panelling, you obviously wont be able to see into this area but it may be worth taking a look after some heave rain to check if it is wet. The water on mine is obviously draining away somewhere and the sills are right bellow.

That's really quite interesting I was wondering if it was wet feet (shoes) bringing water in that found it's way to the sill ............. I have a little access under cupboard to where the door (slide) rail is on drivers side and have been in there once or twice latley with disconnecting and refitting leisure battery that lives there but never seen any sign of water ingress............
(To be fair it's not what I was really looking for)

(Wev'e been using Van quite a bit latley as a sort of local run around on run up to it's test......... Never heard any sloshing)
With this weather of late maybe it's time to look..........

#9 2019-08-16 23:43:46

GRIFFIN

I've not seen any on driver's side, mine is only leaking on the passenger side.

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same

Board footer