The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-21 17:55:33

BlueBuoyDesign

2005 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D Enterprise

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'd be grateful for any input on this. I recently bought:
2005 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D Enterprise.
It has had a replacement engine fitted which is now on approximately 113000 miles.
When it was replaced it had a new cambelt and clutch fitted (3000 miles ago).
My problem is it just doesn't seem to have any pull. Fine on the straight but acceleration is really poor.
With the slightest incline it struggles and drops to 15mph. Seems to be a serious lack in BHP.

Now, would it be possible to fit a 2.0 HDI turbo unit, plus manifold etc to the current 1.9D (of which I have found one for £100) or would it be wiser to look for a
2.0 HDI replacement engine (fiat/Peugeot etc). Would would you do to get more BHP out of this 1.9D????
Any advice would be amazing thank you

S

#2 2019-08-21 22:13:34

Anchor1979
Website

Re: 2005 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D Enterprise

Hi BlueBuoyDesign,

Welcome to the forum  smile

I would say that the better option would be to do an engine swap, would it be the easiest option not entirely sure having never done one. I used to have a 1.9D Expert and it performed quite well even when fully loaded.

It may be that there is a fault that needs rectifying to regain the lost power.

I'm sure one of the other members will be along shortly who may be able to offer a more technical insight.

Mike

#3 2019-08-21 22:42:41

vaz2121

BlueBuoyDesign wrote:

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'd be grateful for any input on this. I recently bought:
2005 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D Enterprise.
It has had a replacement engine fitted which is now on approximately 113000 miles.
When it was replaced it had a new cambelt and clutch fitted (3000 miles ago).
My problem is it just doesn't seem to have any pull. Fine on the straight but acceleration is really poor.
With the slightest incline it struggles and drops to 15mph. Seems to be a serious lack in BHP.

Now, would it be possible to fit a 2.0 HDI turbo unit, plus manifold etc to the current 1.9D (of which I have found one for £100) or would it be wiser to look for a
2.0 HDI replacement engine (fiat/Peugeot etc). Would would you do to get more BHP out of this 1.9D????
Any advice would be amazing thank you

S

A 2005 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D Enterprise is exactly what my van is or started out life as..................
They only have 69/70BHP to start with and are something of a slug in this boosted world......................
Being down to 15MPH on a slight gradient seems particularly poor.................
We had a recent thread on here about blanking the EGR to improve matters (which it does)........
There is some minimal Computer control on these (DW8B) that can cause issues but nothing like what's involved in an HDI................

Your best option would be if your inclined or forced into an engine change would be to fit as late as possible obviously good XUD9TD unit but then there is likely to be no ECU invovement at all and Ive no idea what if any issues would occur with MOT failing idiot lights on the dash but keep other ECU linked functions working if any
To get an equivalent boosted 90bhp of an entry level HDI

Fitting an HDI would involve lots of Computer sensors and other associated Sh**/wiring just to get it to roughly start nevermind move/run smoothly/as intended

Last edited by vaz2121 (2019-08-21 22:44:22)

#4 2019-08-22 09:21:20

k_wyndham_t

I had an old non turbo 1.8D Berlingo and it still was relatively nippy, sounds like something is wrong with the swapped engine.

I would look at what is wrong first the 1.9d is slow but not that slow, was cambelt done correctly, the basic non HDI engines need the pump correctly timed as well as the cam so maybe whoever did the timing did it slightly "out" and thats why your van is so slow.

#5 2019-08-27 20:58:58

steve the grease

I would bet a pound to a penny that either the cam timing or the fuel pump timing (or both) is retarded one tooth.  It's quite easy on these engines to get the slack  on the tension side of the belt rather than on the slack side, where the tensioner is.  I have done dozens of these over the years  both XUD and DW8 and it can be problematic to get the belt right. Especially on the DW8 with the floating pulleys.

#6 2019-08-30 20:30:17

BlueBuoyDesign

Thankyou! All great advice. Good to hear from experienced members.
I have recently replaced the air filter (which was black) and replaced and bled the fuel filter (also clogged) both of which have improved performance and acceleration on the flat, but she still under performs on hills. I think you may be right about the timing belt not accurately fitted when it was replaced as on cold start she tends to ‘miss a beat’ until she warms up. Also could bad clutch fitting be a cause? She doesn’t slip but feels more like towing a load. Ive been reading up on cold air intake and am wondering if I could substitute the large air filter housing or would that complicate timing?
You guys are amazing Thankyou

#7 2019-08-30 21:46:37

vaz2121

I believe you can get a K & N type panel filter for these .............

My van has trunking from airbox running in front of battery between front panel ....behind headlight to an opening  in inner wing ....  be best described to just behind N/S indicator...........
(For cooler air {flow} I presume............

How freely does van Roll ...........
You got a binding brake/sticky Caliper? ...........

#8 2019-08-31 13:46:13

BlueBuoyDesign

Sussed it!
Basically the accelerator cable was badly adjusted (when the engine was fitted) so it was only pulling the injector pump arm 2/3rds the distance is should have been pulling, even tho the pedal was fully depressed. Have readjusted closer to the pivot so it now pulls the full distance hence full acceleration! What a relief! Now uphills fine. Means idling speed is slightly higher but I can deal with that. Will look into additional cold air intakes to give it a bit more poke.

Board footer