The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-22 22:08:31

Richardeblack

Track rod replacement

Hello there.
I'm new to the forum so apologies if this has come up before.
Just having to do loads for not. Lots of welding ( done), worn track rod inner joints and loose bottom ball joint in hub. I have got the track rods off and it looks like there was some sort of locking system that shears when you undo them. I'd like to know if unjust locktite the new ones in or is there some locking system on the new ones? The loose ball joint stub has worn the hub badly so will have to replace at least that if not the wishbone as well. Very disheartening as these were not picked up at the pre not.
Any advice on the track rods welcome.
Thank you very much
Richard

#2 2019-08-27 21:04:51

steve the grease

Re: Track rod replacement

If the lock washer is trashed upon removal of the track rods, you can be sure it will be available from the main dealer as a spare part.  You could just loctite them, but not recommended, the original lock washer is the way to go really.

#3 2019-08-27 23:33:41

Richardeblack

Thank you Steve
There doesn't appear to be a lock washer, just a bit of a protrusion that seemed to lock into a notch on the rack end which sheared on loosening. How does the lock washer work?
Thanks
Richard

#4 2019-08-28 01:45:20

steve the grease

Is that like a black ring wth teeth on the outside that clicks onto little grooves on the outside of the track rod?

#5 2019-08-30 16:42:43

Richardeblack

inner track rod end

Here is a picture of the inner track rod end.  At about 10 O'clock you can see a bit has broken off.  As you put pressure on to free the inner end, you just feel it give as it shears off something which I assume is peened over on the new rack at manufacture.  I really need some idea of how I can lock the new end in place as I can't get to the notch in the rack to peen a bit over as it is at the back of the rack and only a couple of inches away from the bulkhead.
Any ideas welcome.  I did wonder about just using the strongest locktite (can't remember if it's studlock or bearing lock).
Thanks for your suggestions.
Richard.

#6 2019-09-02 01:34:44

steve the grease

That picture does make it clear.  When the rack was assembled on a bench it would be quite easy to peen it with a hammer and punch, on the vehicle it will be a different proposition.  You could fit a star washer which is a lock washer with lots of small serrations , or just loctite it together with , just 'nut lock' usually red  loctite, you really don't need 'bearing fit' or 'stud lock'. As long as its torqued up reasonably tight it should be fine, all the force is axial , there is no twisting ( undoing) torque.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTERNAL-SHA … dd10194b26

You could use both!

Last edited by steve the grease (2019-09-02 01:35:35)

Board footer