The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-07 11:40:46

thedrizzle

2008 Dispatch (jumpy) pneumatic suspension looking for diy fix

Hello

i just signed up to this forum desperate for advice on how to fix my car

i have a 2008 Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) long wheel base
2.0 HDi 136 HP 16v Turbo

It is the MPV model and has pneumatic suspension in the rear

When we stopped the car at home, the suspension began to adjust when we locked the car, there was a loud bang and one of the air bags popped out from the car and is now lying on the ground

AF1QipN28OnV0APnAycUJvNciY66zLMRstwZ26BFlQzt

After this happened i changed the suspension from auto adjust to manual to prevent it happening again. Seems like the compressor still functions and it was still making the noise and attempting to raise the other side before i disabled it.

I signed up for the Haynes online manual for this car but unfortunately it only applies to the coil spring and not the pneumatic one.

Not sure if a conversion to coil is possible on this model. If so would i only need 2 springs and some seats? i found a kit online but it seems to only be for 2016+ models so not sure if it will fit my car.

i also found this kit online.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-REAR-AIR … SwsQVZeGYX

Not sure if this will fit my car. Is it a plug and play type arrangement.

Any tips, links or assistance of any kind would be welcomed.

Thank you

#2 2019-09-07 11:57:50

thedrizzle

Re: 2008 Dispatch (jumpy) pneumatic suspension looking for diy fix

4T5gq6zQhcndjTD2A

#3 2019-09-07 12:18:53

steve the grease

Unlike Citroen Hydraulics, I can't say I'm very familiar with air suspension, but certainly on Discoverys the first sign of a problem was that the bags used to leak so the pump ran all the time, the way to check this was to spray the bag with WD40, if there were loads of bubbles then it was time to renew the bag *** before it ruptured***.  It sounds like one of your bags has gone beyond this stage and actually ruptured.

The ebay advert says the bags  fit various versions of the Jumpy and I suspect that the item would fit yours too. Why not contact the seller and check if you are not confident. Most car parts are made by third party suppliers, not the manufacturer themselves , like Valeo alternators and Bosch brakes, these air bags will be bought in by Citroen.

On Discos the pressure pipes were a simple push fit system with 3.5mm pipes and a ring that was retracted to release the pipe ( when pressured down obviously). The disco units were held in place with a couple of bolts in an end plate and a cup the other end fitted into.  These ones look like they just fit into cups , but until you examine them it's hard to tell exactly.  You can't drive your vehicle with it down on the ground , so you need either a mobile mechanic, or a mate or it's a  do it yourself job. Always put the vehicle up on stands, don't go under it just on a jack. Crack the wheel nuts loose before jacking up.  I know it's not the same but changing the springs is a quick job.  Release the shock  so the axle can drop  and the springs literally drop out, hopefully the gas bags  will be just as easy to do.

#4 2019-09-07 12:45:28

thedrizzle

steve the grease wrote:

Unlike Citroen Hydraulics, I can't say I'm very familiar with air suspension, but certainly on Discoverys the first sign of a problem was that the bags used to leak so the pump ran all the time, the way to check this was to spray the bag with WD40, if there were loads of bubbles then it was time to renew the bag *** before it ruptured***.  It sounds like one of your bags has gone beyond this stage and actually ruptured.

The ebay advert says the bags  fit various versions of the Jumpy and I suspect that the item would fit yours too. Why not contact the seller and check if you are not confident. Most car parts are made by third party suppliers, not the manufacturer themselves , like Valeo alternators and Bosch brakes, these air bags will be bought in by Citroen.

On Discos the pressure pipes were a simple push fit system with 3.5mm pipes and a ring that was retracted to release the pipe ( when pressured down obviously). The disco units were held in place with a couple of bolts in an end plate and a cup the other end fitted into.  These ones look like they just fit into cups , but until you examine them it's hard to tell exactly.  You can't drive your vehicle with it down on the ground , so you need either a mobile mechanic, or a mate or it's a  do it yourself job. Always put the vehicle up on stands, don't go under it just on a jack. Crack the wheel nuts loose before jacking up.  I know it's not the same but changing the springs is a quick job.  Release the shock  so the axle can drop  and the springs literally drop out, hopefully the gas bags  will be just as easy to do.

Thanks for taking the time to reply mate. I think both bags have been leaking for some time as the pump did seem to run quite often when set on auto. The car would also sit quite low after sitting overnight.

I certainly wont be driving the car anywhere, towing such a large vehicle will also be difficult as it is parked behind an apartment building with tight access.

I was planning on borrowing some stands and a heavy duty pump. Luckily for me the airbag on the other side is still intact so i can reference that to see how to fit the new bag. I will be replacing both sides for sure.

I was trying to gauge whether it was catastrophic damage or standard if the bag ruptured. Seems like it is pretty normal. Happy it
happened when the vehicle was stationary at home rather than my wife driving it loaded loaded with the little ones.

I have contacted the eBay seller so will wait for their reply on compatibility.

thanks again

#5 2019-09-07 15:15:35

thedrizzle

Ok so i disconnected and removed the old bag from underneath the car, confirmed the part numbers coincided with what i want to purchase.

i found this handy video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZsylFcNLqI

The only problem is on the video when they demonstrate replacing the bags they use some diagnostic tool to bring up a menu to de-pressurize and re-pressurize the air bags. Now i do not have access to this tool.

I was hoping to disconnect the hose from the remaining bag to release the pressure. Disconnect the battery to prevent it from blowing up when i am working on it.

My main concern is that once i have replaced both bags and the car is on stands, when i reconnect the battery and the bags begin to inflate what will stop them from over inflating?

Does anyone have any experience replacing these airsprings themselves?

#6 2019-09-07 19:08:31

steve the grease

If yours has burst a bag , I wouldn't worry too much about de pressurising the system. If there is some residual pressure in the ' good' bag jacking it up will tend to reduce the pressure as you take the weight off the axle. Leave it overnight and the pressure may well leak away.   I seem to recall that there is a little height valve/ electric switch somewhere linked to the rear axle that controls the pump.  If it was going down over night previously , presumably it just pumped itself up when you turned on the ignition/ started the engine, so starting from flat it should just pump up and it will turn off at the appropriate height.  If the vehicle is on stands it may not pump at all as it will think it is too high and needs to let pressure out! Try lowering it down and then trying .  I'm trying to remember , I've done these on Disco's and also a Freightrover riot van,      ( like 20 years ago)  I don't recall there being any big problems  repressurising .

#7 2019-09-11 10:44:32

thedrizzle

For what it is worth. I managed to change both the bags successfully without using Lexia. My remaining bag was deflated due to a slow leak. It was a quick and easy diy job. Thanks for the guidance.

#8 2019-09-11 17:36:14

OAT

Glad to hear it and thanks for for posting it here for future reference.

#9 2019-09-11 20:17:43

steve the grease

thedrizzle wrote:

For what it is worth. I managed to change both the bags successfully without using Lexia. My remaining bag was deflated due to a slow leak. It was a quick and easy diy job. Thanks for the guidance.

It's always good to know the outcome.  Glad it's sorted.

Board footer