The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-09-13 18:59:29

Zippypilot

Re: DVLA says my van doesn't look like a camper from the outside

Hi Ken, I finally caught up with my neighbour regarding his conversions. He said he had no problem this time regarding the minibus to camper, but has in the past, finding sending extra pictures showing the outside of the vehicle with the interior visible. he did say they can be arsey! Also of note, NO external changes made on either of his conversions, they are just being jobsworths!

#27 Yesterday 00:11:09

vaz2121

Zippypilot wrote:

He said he had no problem this time regarding the minibus to camper, but has in the past,  NO external changes made on either of his conversions, they are just being jobsworths!

I've been looking a little more at this Subject as I'm Considering a change { Have done for couple years now}...................
It seems from what I've read is for whatever reason that virtually every applicant since May this year has been refused on the grounds of "Does not look like a Motorhome/Motor Caravan"...............
As it has been pointed out here there is Some form of unknown motovation behind this and it is disgraceful that vehicles built accordingly to their own minimum guidelines Nevermind those that exceed those proposed to be summarily refused .......................

Q: If a vehicle is built as a "Campervan" too or exceeding these guidlines and is refused a change of classification/categorization based solely on appearance.............
Does that Mean for insurance purposes it cannot be insured as A Motorhome  but should as a van with Several Modifications ?

#28 Yesterday 00:42:01

Zippypilot

vaz2121 wrote:
Zippypilot wrote:

He said he had no problem this time regarding the minibus to camper, but has in the past,  NO external changes made on either of his conversions, they are just being jobsworths!

I've been looking a little more at this Subject as I'm Considering a change { Have done for couple years now}...................
It seems from what I've read is for whatever reason that virtually every applicant since May this year has been refused on the grounds of "Does not look like a Motorhome/Motor Caravan"...............
As it has been pointed out here there is Some form of unknown motovation behind this and it is disgraceful that vehicles built accordingly to their own minimum guidelines Nevermind those that exceed those proposed to be summarily refused .......................

Q: If a vehicle is built as a "Campervan" too or exceeding these guidlines and is refused a change of classification/categorization based solely on appearance.............
Does that Mean for insurance purposes it cannot be insured as A Motorhome  but should as a van with Several Modifications ?

Hi again, I can see no reason why any why any vehicle cannot be reclassified. I have looked at DVLA and the website is as confusing as is their agenda of ruling. As I understand, ANY vehicle can be modified, adjusted or changed within the guidelines of road legality. Take Top Gear for example, they did it all the time. There is no basis for a vehicle NOT to be modified etc, the chassis and initial testing of it is done through manufacture, you have not altered any structural integrity etc, only use and interior. I would suggest asking them to send you the definition of "Motorhome/Motor Caravan" according to their legislation. I feel for you here as this is just complete and utter nonsense from them.

#29 Yesterday 00:48:09

Zippypilot

I have not looked into the insurance yet, pretty sure they will not go against DVLA, I wonder if it maybe worth while contacting a online club of van/camper conversions and see what they have to say. Just because it's a small van, surely doesn't mean it's not convertible to other use?

#30 Yesterday 00:55:00

Zippypilot

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati … -motorhome

Here is the link of requirements, long list of stuff but sure this can be got round?

#31 Yesterday 09:57:22

OAT

Zippypilot wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati … -motorhome

Here is the link of requirements, long list of stuff but sure this can be got round?

I notice that this list of requirements is updated 16th may.  It is still inaccurate though as it specifies a 2 ring stove.  This has already been accepted by DVLA as wrong and they have addmited that a single ring is acceptable.

It also says that if the internal camper requirements are fitted, that is a legal requirement to have it reclassified! :-

If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.

If they then refuse on the grounds of external appearance, they are surely preventing you from complying with the law?

#32 Yesterday 10:07:48

vaz2121

Zippypilot wrote:

Just because it's a small van, surely doesn't mean it's not convertible to other use?

Apparently not......................

https://newatlas.com/flexcamper-mini-ca … ons/57706/

#33 Yesterday 10:26:30

vaz2121

It'come to my notice that the majority of the New professionally built Camper vans appear to be constructed in Europe "Is this their get out of jail free card"..............

Based on DVLA  current rulings I need to brush up on photographic skills...........
I Could have Sold my Last truck for several thousands more.............

https://empirerv.co.uk/vehicle/scania-v … -for-sale/
Because "That looks like a {nicely fitted out all be it} truck to me

#34 Yesterday 13:07:48

Zippypilot

Hi Vaz, I wonder a quick call to the AA may shed some light on this, they will know the DVLA regs etc well?

#35 Today 04:09:13

OAT

vaz2121 wrote:

Apparently not......................

https://newatlas.com/flexcamper-mini-ca … ons/57706/

It doesn't give any external appearance of a camper either.

Board footer