The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-07 09:58:19

Casper

Glow Plug Relay

Does yours chatter? Just had to change mine with a scrap yard one as one of the bolt poles fell out big_smile Old one and this one chatters rather than click like every other diesel i have had.

#2 2019-10-07 12:00:44

kenbw2
Administrator

Re: Glow Plug Relay

Only ever get a click from mine. Does it work?

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#3 2019-10-07 13:06:43

Casper

Yes it works fine. Odd that two chatter however...... I have an orange beacon on the roof and when i switch the ignition on it flashes once so when i get time that is getting ripped out.

#4 2019-10-07 15:54:26

Casper

Orange beacon removed and still chatters. Changed relay for the other but one get one free deal and that chatters also so that is three that chatter. Whats the chance, slim so must have some other issue.

#5 2019-10-14 11:58:45

Casper

OK. Bad van day as it would not start for love nor money this morning. I replaced the filter cap only as i bust of the return pipe. Would that have been enough to warrant bleeding the injectors. Took the van for a drive yesterday when i changed it as well.

Anyway

The chatter noise i thought was my relay is actually coming from the pump. I have the B engine remember, do these prime themselfs also what is the black box under the green glow plug relay as this is what clicks. Mine was faint hence not hearing it when in the van but it takes 37 seconds to go off. By this time the wire is to hot to leave a finger on. Is this the norm. Replaced with another 2nd hand one what has a better click but still takes 37 seconds and wire still gets hot. If i need to replace this it runs from right of manifold into the loom and back out again at the relay. This look easy enough to replace but am i better to take this out the main loom as if its overheating it may melt other wires.

Last edited by Casper (2019-10-14 15:01:31)

#6 2019-10-15 09:05:06

tee_cee

On my old dw8b I could hear the stop solenoid chatter when the glow plug light was lit on the dash. I think that this is a self cleaning mechanism, but could never find any supporting evidence online.
Are you saying that the chatter is still there when the engine is running?

#7 2019-10-15 11:06:57

Casper

tee_cee wrote:

On my old dw8b I could hear the stop solenoid chatter when the glow plug light was lit on the dash. I think that this is a self cleaning mechanism, but could never find any supporting evidence online.
Are you saying that the chatter is still there when the engine is running?

No not all the time that goes out with the light also. I was presuming it was my glow plug relay but since discovered not. I could not hear my relay going off like all other diesels i have owned but.... I thought changing my buggered glow plug relay would cure this issue but that never also. When playing about with the van yesterday after a bad van start day i discovered the black box under the glow plug relay was where the click comes from and mine was faint. Got a couple more from scrap yard and changed it what now gives a click off i can hear in the cab

20191014-102246.jpg

BUT....

The old and two new (New to me) ones all take 37 seconds to go off. This is generating a lot of heat in the wire what worry's me as its running along inside the loom. All glow plugs were changed also for new ones.

Last edited by Casper (2019-10-15 11:07:24)

#8 2019-10-15 13:30:29

OAT

37 secs seems a long time.

If you try it and it starts after only 10 secs, does the light then go out and heating stop do you think?  or would it not start due to plugs being too cool?

I think the length of time on is how long it takes the plugs to get up to temp.  Turned of by a temp sensor at the plugs.  If so, the 37 secs suggest that the plugs are not heating quickly enough.

Are you sure the glow plugs are the right ones?

#9 2019-10-15 16:41:28

Casper

OAT wrote:

37 secs seems a long time.

If you try it and it starts after only 10 secs, does the light then go out and heating stop do you think?  or would it not start due to plugs being too cool?

I think the length of time on is how long it takes the plugs to get up to temp.  Turned of by a temp sensor at the plugs.  If so, the 37 secs suggest that the plugs are not heating quickly enough.

Are you sure the glow plugs are the right ones?

Well, i hope they are the right ones. Its what a motor factor came up with using my reg anyway. I cant tell if it was 37 seconds with the old one as that black box did not click loud enough. The light is only on for five or six seconds what was enough to start the van but its a lot colder now. I dare say after possibly 10 - 15 seconds it will be fine but i think i will take out 5 seconds each morning and just get int the habit of counting it in my head.

Any of you know the name if this clip/clamp and what size i need for the EGR? Its been off and on one time to many. Last 20 mile home today was loud  tongue

20191015-155547.jpg

#10 2019-10-16 09:35:51

tee_cee

Which wire is heating up? If it's the white wire at the top of the green relay in your pic, I'd say that the wire is damaged - looks in bad shape to me.

#11 2019-10-16 11:50:14

kenbw2
Administrator

Casper wrote:

Any of you know the name if this clip/clamp and what size i need for the EGR? Its been off and on one time to many. Last 20 mile home today was loud  tongue

Here you go:

jpXD4vP.png

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#12 2019-10-16 15:38:20

Casper

tee_cee wrote:

Which wire is heating up? If it's the white wire at the top of the green relay in your pic, I'd say that the wire is damaged - looks in bad shape to me.

Yes. The crap bit you see is the heat shrink burnt and it does have a few broken strands. The wire heats to much for my liking in the 37 seconds for the glowplug click. Would you know if that wire just goes direct to the glow plugs as i would like to bypass the loom altogether and just re route the cable for safety. 

kenbw2 wrote:

Most excellent thank you. Do you think that 35 is 35mm I/D. I found better ones that work like a jubilee clip what are called V Clamps.

#13 2019-10-16 17:54:39

tee_cee

From what I can tell the glow plug timer is in the green relay, so I don't know what the relay underneath does. I'd suggest cutting back the white wire to good conductor and extend it back again with a crimp butt connector and new crimp ring connector.
It looks like some water has got in and it is surprising how it can get wicked up the inside of the cable. The corrosion makes the wire brittle and the poor connect ion will generate heat with the high current required.

#14 2019-10-16 20:17:10

Casper

Funny as just after the last post i ordered crimp eyes. Decided to look into if that cable comes out the loom easily enough. It looks like it as the plastic cable cover has the slit like a cable tidy behind your TV. At least this way i need a shorter cable so will have plenty to cut away and re route. Ill get tore into that on Sunday if the eyes arrive

#15 2019-10-16 22:26:26

vaz2121

My understanding is and seen this to be the case on other diesels I've had...............

The the glow plug telltale light should stay lit until plugs (cylinder/pre-chamber)are hot enough for start (the relay timer is telling you this anyway)........... In colder weather it's on for longer to achieve  required temp to assist start..... However the plugs remain powered/lit after start Althoughtelltale on dash is out.............
This to assist (In the heat loss into otherwise cold engine metal) a satisfactory start and alegdedly smooth out lumpy running until enough heat is generated within engine as combustion without an ignition source  requires a certain amount of thermal efficiency this along with (dependant on what pump fitted) some exess fuel and a touch of injection timing advance (if it's working)

Last edited by vaz2121 (2019-10-16 22:35:51)

#16 2019-10-27 00:57:19

vaz2121

After getting all my glow plugs changed ........... We had a heavy frost (probably first real) couple nights ago and F*** Me..... Van refused to start.................
Cut a long story short (Co-inky-Dinky?)  I've changed (stole out my diesel golf.... {Same designation}) the battery and all appears well again...............
(Have another 096 on order)

I dicovered while testing glow plug operation...... My pump does that chattery thing also for about 5 Secs..........

This might be of use ...........(HDI's are the same gubbins but different operation of ....I believe.... being direct injection)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_G9028N1Gg

#17 2019-10-27 14:31:04

Casper

Nah not the battery. That was replaced just before i got the van with a heavy duty Yuasa. I think they all must just take there time to heat up or should i say relay to close as the 37 seconds is still a long time. I tend to just count down 20 seconds now on cold mornings and its been fine with that. Every other start during the day it will fire up just after the light goes out.

Wonder if there is any way to extend the time the light is on.

#18 2021-01-21 18:59:35

unter
Website

I always thought the glow plugs turn off when the glow light goes out on dash, I always glow the dash light twice, and it starts.
glowing the light once it does not start from cold.
but you are saying the plugs keep on glowing for many seconds after the light goes out. im not so sure about that.
infact, i think you are misled. lol

monkey vano

#19 2021-01-21 20:23:58

Casper

Well. Cold morning like we are having if i try and start the van when the lights go out there is little to no chance of it starting. If i sit after the light goes out and listen for the relay to click (About 37 seconds) then try the van fires into life. Three relays and all around 37 seconds. It will fire up before that or even when the light goes out when summer morning or even starting van up again after its been run. I am only talking about morning starts here

However you now have me thinking

Should i listen to my relay or some random bloke from the internet. Tough one.

#20 2021-01-22 12:51:04

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

Well. Cold morning like we are having if i try and start the van when the lights go out there is little to no chance of it starting. If i sit after the light goes out and listen for the relay to click (About 37 seconds) then try the van fires into life. Three relays and all around 37 seconds. It will fire up before that or even when the light goes out when summer morning or even starting van up again after its been run. I am only talking about morning starts here

However you now have me thinking

Should i listen to my relay or some random bloke from the internet. Tough one.

I'll agree with Casper on this one .... With a certain amount of confidence..........

1. The Glow plug light is not within the Glow plug circuit ........
Have a look at this Link...............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_G9028N1Gg

2.The Glowplug Light is controled by the ECU.....

3. cycling the Ignition to get the Glow plug light on again is just having the ECU  reset the timer again............
which is much the same as Casper is doing any way

4. I can say this not just because of a youtube vid ....
But While My Father was in Hospital...

My Van Glow plugs were NOT connected to anything as I was awaiting another relay/controler.............
But In-between removal and trying out the 306 relay I turned ignition on.........
Low and behold No Glow plugs connected and the light came ON and went OUT again as normal ............

Last edited by vaz2121 (2021-01-22 12:53:31)

#21 2021-04-03 19:49:59

Casper

Back to start issues. The bugger knows its getting sold soon and playing up. Friday Morning it starts as normal. Got to my job and had to nip out 45 minutes later. Trip out starts normal and gets me back. Hour later had to nip out again with a few stops and back. Three hours later when done i was walking home. OK only a half hour walk and in sunshine but not the point. It took brake and clutch cleaner spray up the air intake to get it running. Three or so mile drive and it seemed normal. Off, starting no problem and even an hour later.
  This morning for work back to non starting and fires up with another spray. Finished work five hours later and needed more spray. Got home and sulked for three or four hours and decided to have a look. Did the bugger no fire up normal  mad  Anyway i changed the glowplug relay and that little black box next to it so cant test no more till morning now but...

You 1.9 owners notice even with the keys out the ignition the relay still clicks now and then? There is also a constant feed of 12v. I would have thought that should be ignition feed. Old relay and one before did it as does the new one. When i say new one it was another out a scrapper.

#22 2021-04-04 14:54:23

Casper

Looks like arcing at the first plug what would affect the other three. Why cant i find glow plug wire for sale and fixings? I would rather make my own loom.

#23 2021-04-05 14:01:03

vaz2121

Making your own loom might be a Faf but not as difficult or stupid as it may first sound..........
To make life easier and as your selling soon...........

With a joint for loom screwed onto the inlet.........
Still a Faf but could be less so overall.........
Procure said glow plug loom from scrappies next time your there.......
If it's there and any good of course.........

#24 2021-04-06 00:21:05

Stu-D
Website

I reckon I could make you a glow loom based on the one I have on my van if you really need bud? I have the crimp tools etc but not quite that gauge of wire, I'd need a reel of the correct wire - Edit: The one on mines I just sand papered all the contacts, reflowed/added solder tat the contacts and it's been OK.

Last edited by Stu-D (2021-04-06 00:23:25)

#25 2021-04-06 07:25:52

Casper

Cheers Stu but almost sorted. As i cant find any glow plug loom wire and also dont know right ampage i just ordered  a loom for a Mondeo. I only need a section between 3 and 4 so will cut the bit out the Mondeo one and crimp eyes on the end and job should be a good un.

Board footer