The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-21 09:26:49

colin_ig

SCUDO OVERHEAT RADIATOR FAN NOT WORKING

Hi
This summer while we were drivig trough beauty and hot Spain, the water temperature went around 90º (actually a lil bit more, but just a lil bit). I realised that when I use the AC the temperature goes between 70 and 80º.
I thought it was the water pump so I replaced it. Problem still the same.
Also changed the temperature sensor, same thing fan don't start.
Fan start when ac is on, but not with more than 80-90º.
Is there any fuse or relays that can cause this kind of problem?

Thanks

#2 2019-10-21 12:24:28

kenbw2
Administrator

Re: SCUDO OVERHEAT RADIATOR FAN NOT WORKING

My overheating fans don't come on 'till after 90º, in fact they turn off when it dips below 80º

In fact I think the manual says the temperature thresholds

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#3 2019-10-23 21:06:51

colin_ig

Do you have the manual? Mine even when it reaches 90 or so doesn't work.
Does anybody knows which fuse and relays are involved?
Thanks

#4 2019-10-23 23:18:48

Tiree
Administrator

colin_ig wrote:

Thanks

Hey Colin .. what van / model / engine do you have?

I've had my van for 6 years - driven in all sorts of conditions - and I've only ever heard the fan come on once.

And that was the time I accidentally started the engine with the engine coolant temp sensor disconnected.

If it's ever come on apart from that - I've not heard it. Pretty sure my temp gauge has never shown over 90.

Should mention I don't have A/C

T

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#5 2019-10-24 13:02:20

k_wyndham_t

colin_ig wrote:

Thanks

Wont be fuse/relay as comes on when Air-con on, will be either fine and your engine has never got hot enough or will be teperature sensor.

#6 2019-10-24 16:26:33

vaz2121

I've had my van 5....6 yrs and don't ever remember the fan coming on and I've driven this van over to (Galicia) Spain also.............Along with several Spannish trips in our Pug 306 that we've had for easily 10 yrs and now well over (all be it in retirement duties) 210,000 miles and only once do I remember fans operating on an extremly long and heavily loaded pull up hill on motorway out from Vigo (95c?)......... the only other time (I noticed) when fans didn't kick in on miles of standing motorway traffic ............ relay on radiator fan shroud had fell to bits and was all corroded inside............ I compensated and cooked a bit inside by putting on heater full pelt in car

306 has A/C............. Van doesn't so single radiator fan not twin like 306

#7 2019-10-26 08:23:04

colin_ig

Tiree wrote:
colin_ig wrote:

Thanks

Hey Colin .. what van / model / engine do you have?

I've had my van for 6 years - driven in all sorts of conditions - and I've only ever heard the fan come on once.

And that was the time I accidentally started the engine with the engine coolant temp sensor disconnected.

If it's ever come on apart from that - I've not heard it. Pretty sure my temp gauge has never shown over 90.

Should mention I don't have A/C

T

Is a 2005 Scudo 2.0 JTD 16 valve.
The coolant sensor is brand new, also the coolant and the water pump.

#8 2019-10-26 08:29:38

colin_ig

k_wyndham_t wrote:
colin_ig wrote:

Thanks

Wont be fuse/relay as comes on when Air-con on, will be either fine and your engine has never got hot enough or will be teperature sensor.

I think the AC and engine temp are different circuits.
As I know there are two relays, for low and high fan speed. The only problem is that I don't have the workshop manual and dunno where to look neutral .

#9 2019-10-26 08:46:13

colin_ig

vaz2121 wrote:

I've had my van 5....6 yrs and don't ever remember the fan coming on and I've driven this van over to (Galicia) Spain also.............Along with several Spannish trips in our Pug 306 that we've had for easily 10 yrs and now well over (all be it in retirement duties) 210,000 miles and only once do I remember fans operating on an extremly long and heavily loaded pull up hill on motorway out from Vigo (95c?)......... the only other time (I noticed) when fans didn't kick in on miles of standing motorway traffic ............ relay on radiator fan shroud had fell to bits and was all corroded inside............ I compensated and cooked a bit inside by putting on heater full pelt in car

We have it since 2006 big_smile , first was my moms van but few years ago she gave it to me.  Never had any problems with it but now due that "she´s  an old lady", she's groaning a lot.
First time I saw the temp over 90º was on a steep road full of curves and behind few trucks at 30km/h. Since then every time we were on that road (and other steep ones), the water temp start to rise like crazy and I have to use the ac to cool it.
Also used a laser thermometer and the difference between the gauge temp and the thermometer are around 2-4 degrees(eg. engine coolant 80 on gauge and 83 on thermometer).

vaz2121 wrote:

the only other time (I noticed) when fans didn't kick in on miles of standing motorway traffic ............ relay on radiator fan shroud had fell to bits and was all corroded inside............ I compensated and cooked a bit inside by putting on heater full pelt in car

Do u know where that relay is located?
My van has AC but only one fan for both radiators.

#10 2019-10-27 00:22:05

vaz2121

Switching on A/C as you say runs the  fan almost constantly (when compresor is engaged ) So is a option to pull air through radiator.............
What I have done many times is hose the radiator fins clear of dead flies and junk but from in side engine bay forward (reverse flush)........... but I don't think this is your issue..........

Iv'e never had to faf about with fan on van radiator ......... however on the 306 there's a similar shroud that houses the fans ....... So I'd assume that like it there will be a box type thing built in/on somewhere (top & front? try follow fan wires) and inside will be some gubins and relays..............

Being a FIAT it's unlikely to be listed on SERVICE BOX (although essentially a PSA Product) ............. Green relay (25A ..35A?) Purple (25A... 35A?) Would appear to be the most common coloured relays used......... also I'd be inclined to test thermostat operation also as it has similar symptoms when becoming faulty ..... (Apparently sensor plugs on thermostat housing are conected to relays)

#11 2019-10-27 14:32:41

Casper

No help whatsoever but my 1.9 never goes over 70 and yet to hear the fan. Only time i heard it on my last 1.9 was going up and down hills in the heat down the black forrest.

#12 2019-10-30 03:05:09

vaz2121

colin_ig wrote:

As I know there are two relays, for low and high fan speed. The only problem is that I don't have the workshop manual and dunno where to look neutral .

This one my be of use

https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/foru … .php?id=23

#13 2019-10-30 08:51:41

k_wyndham_t

colin_ig wrote:
k_wyndham_t wrote:
colin_ig wrote:

Thanks

Yes but thats not what I meant, originally you mentioned that the engine fan comes on when air con is working, which is normal. But the trigger from the aircon to switch on the engine fan is the same as the temp sensor so uses the same circuit and relay so if that is working its not the fuse or relay for the engine fan, it must be either temp sensor for the fan or wiring (if its even hitting trigger temp), as sensor changed maybe its wiring/dodgy connection.

Last edited by k_wyndham_t (2019-10-30 08:54:05)

#14 2019-11-30 03:16:04

Shakes

Brenda's temp guage reads 90° before the thermostat opens, then drops down to 75-80°, on a heavy incline. Seems normal. Never heard the fan kick in. Had it tested too.

#15 2019-11-30 16:08:44

ruston

Shakes wrote:

Brenda's temp guage reads 90° before the thermostat opens, then drops down to 75-80°, on a heavy incline. Seems normal. Never heard the fan kick in. Had it tested too.

My 2.0HDI is the same, even when towing a well laden trailer in warm weather (remember that?  wink ) the fan has never run.  My Partner with the same engine very rarely cut in, it had to be pulling hard in hot weather.

Pete.

Board footer