The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-26 12:43:58

Supermario

Crazy electrical faults PLEASE HELP ME!!

Hi there. A while ago my van, a 2008 citroen dispatch 2.0 hdi, developed some unusual faults. I would get a lot of warnings about the power steering, the brakes and the anti pollution system. Fortunately the brakes never failed, but the power steering would sometimes completely fail when I started the engine. And then another time it would be 100% fine. Then it started to refuse to start up. I had a period when the van wouldn't start for 48hours. The starter would turn the engine, but no ignition. Then I had the clocks failing periodically as I drove along. I changed the alternator but made no difference. I changed the battery and that seemed to cure everything except the loss of power steering. The van has stood for a few weeks now and I started it up today to find all the problems are back. Its actually not a bad little van, and if I can cure this issue then it should be good for many more miles/years. Any ideas? Thanks.

#2 2019-10-27 04:36:54

vaz2121

Re: Crazy electrical faults PLEASE HELP ME!!

I'm no Expert but this is partly the reason I much prefer no or these days as little computer involvement within my vehicle .................

Is the Power Steering Electric over hydraulic or full electric?...........

My guess and that's exactly what it is............ Based on your discription I'd go for Damp getting in everything and creating havok or a Major Earth point or points failing and it earthing through where ever possible including other active systems ..........
And of Course the dreaded ECU and Computer says NO

Sorry not very helpful but sounds wiring ...... earth related

#3 2019-10-28 11:43:14

k_wyndham_t

Sounds a lot like a slightly flat battery, not had it like this on a Pug but I have owned quite a lot of Alfas and if the battery is not tip top then you get lots of spurious errors that are not really there.

This is highlighted by fact that errors went when battery was replaced. As battery new I would put it on charge then see if OK, oh and check the charging is OK should be around 13.5- 14.5 V when running.

As for the power steering if the newer ones have speed sensitive electrically assited steering will get messed up by errors on ABS etc, if you did not get the ABS codes cleared down after they came up (they just kind of went away) I would get it plugged in and cleared down and then might be OK.

#4 2019-10-28 12:03:06

Supermario

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. Yes, changing the battery did seem to make a big difference. Perhaps I need to recharge it after it has stood for a while and get the error codes cleared. The charge to the battery is good from the new alternator and the battery is a Yuasa, so decent quality. Must admit I kinda lost focus with it as I was forced to buy a new van, which got damaged by the dealership on the day I went to collect it! I'll give this a go and report back. Thanks

#5 2019-11-03 14:39:22

vaz2121

k_wyndham_t wrote:

Sounds a lot like a slightly flat battery, not had it like this on a Pug but I have owned quite a lot of Alfas and if the battery is not tip top then you get lots of spurious errors that are not really there.

This is highlighted by fact that errors went when battery was replaced. As battery new I would put it on charge then see if OK, oh and check the charging is OK should be around 13.5- 14.5 V when running.

As for the power steering if the newer ones have speed sensitive electrically assited steering will get messed up by errors on ABS etc, if you did not get the ABS codes cleared down after they came up (they just kind of went away) I would get it plugged in and cleared down and then might be OK.

I'm glad we have Someone to keep an old dog in check even if not teaching new tricks ................

We have a  2010 Zafira (Not what I'd call in first flush of youth) and very recently acquired on occasion an odd power steering loss issue ..............

Faulty Alternator diagnosed..... changed last thursday.... Normality (Appears) has since returned

#6 2021-02-28 13:43:31

nigelweepers

I have the same issues, turns out it’s the under bonnet fuse box (BSM) causing issues due to water ingress.

#7 2021-04-03 08:56:27

Anchor1979
Website

I had several electrical faults recently, some such as the glow plug relay fault id had for a while. Any way one day it started, then cut straight out then wouldn't start at all.

Long story short - turned out to be the bsi unit in the engine compartment on the offside.

Expensive but did cure quite a few issues.

#8 2021-04-05 11:54:50

vaz2121

nigelweepers wrote:

I have the same issues, turns out it’s the under bonnet fuse box (BSM) causing issues due to water ingress.

I also had fuse box replaced quite some time ago now for same reason {water ingress... from frequently opening a wet bonnet ...Apparently}..........

When testing with Separate software all lights worked but then onboard computor said No........
The side that did work had a wrong bulb fitted.............
Weird thing we had side light but No brake light...........

Because ...........

Tail light and brake light combined ......... Nothing stange in that .......
Until  you discover it's NOT a Twin filament bulb but a SINGLE

Board footer