The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-10-10 13:00:53

k_wyndham_t
Member
Registered: 2018-06-01
Posts: 92

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

Well its dead sad

As you may know had an issue where the cambelt (which was at correct tension jumped 4 teath at crank (8 at cam) and was somehow able to run kind of backwards with air sucked in through exhaust and exhaust blown out through inlet.

Anyway, Canbelt re-done and it runs, starts first turn of key and drives, however compression is slightly low accros all cylinders so suspects valves might have taken a knock and are not seeling well so running a bit guttless, but no smoke, just slow.

However I was thinking still usable and so was going to MOT and sell and start converting my potential doner Expert I picked up while it was dead, howver then the below happened.

So now I am stripping it of good bits and scrapping it! Unless someone wants to buy this weekend its being weighed in without the camper stuff. Weirdly the oil leak happened on way to MOT! And exhaust leak is a pin hole in down pipe.

MOT results

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
•Oil leaking continuously from engine posing a serious risk to road safety (8.4.1 (a) (ii)) 
•Exhaust fumes causing a danger to health of persons on board front pipe (6.1.2 (b) (ii))

Repair immediately (major defects):
•Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength (5.3.6 (a) (i))
•Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength (5.3.6 (a) (i))
•Offside Front Seat belt anchorage prescribed area strength or continuity significantly reduced (7.1.1 (a) (i))
•Offside Front Outer Drive shaft joint constant velocity boot split or insecure, no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (6.1.7 (g) (ii))
•Nearside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (1.1.11 (c))
•Offside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (1.1.11 (c))
•Nearside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded to abs pump (1.1.11 (c))
•Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded to abs pump (1.1.11 (c))
•Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded to hose (1.1.11 (c))
•Nearside Front Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
•Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
•Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
•Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage pin or bush excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
•Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage pin or bush excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
•Offside Front Track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.1.3 (b) (i))
•Offside Rear Shock absorbers has a serious fluid leak (5.3.2 (b))
•Emissions not tested (8.2.2.2 (e))
•Towbar attachment insecure (6.1.6 (c) (i))
•Nearside Front Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (5.2.3 (d) (i))

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
•Offside Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
•Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
•Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
•Front Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))

Offline

#27 2019-10-14 13:20:18

k_wyndham_t
Member
Registered: 2018-06-01
Posts: 92

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

Well one last spectacular nail in the coffin, I found out too late the sudden serious oil leak was likely a blown turbo seal and it was seaping out of the intercooler pipe.

Litterally 2 minutes away from the scrappy the engine started self fueling on the oil coming out of the turbo and became a runnaway!

Giant clouds of smoke covering most of exeter but somehow I managed to stall the van at about 10k rpm and stop the engine before it detonated, was rather scary, never had a diesel runaway before.

Anyway it has gone now so next week or two I will introduce Blueberry Muffin the 2nd which will use a lot of the parts from the first one but will be based around my Bristol City Cab Peugeot Expert E7, just going to start by getting afresh MOT on it just in case as it only has a month left, then the work begins!

Offline

#28 2019-10-14 15:06:21

vaz2121
Member
From: SW. Scotland
Registered: 2015-08-31
Posts: 688

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

OOOOOHHHH I've Never had a runaway either but Many Many moons ago (probably 35yrs at least) I witnessed bods evacuating the shed that had a runaway in...... Copious clouds of Smoke, Screaming engine (and bods) then a Sort of strainging screach and bang clunk and bits of shrapnel as a seize and bits of escaping engine hapening all at the same time............. Nobody was willing to go back in and see what's happening after the screachy bang ............ Nevermind the smoke still billowing out the doors..............

IIRC it to ingested it own oil to destuction

Offline

#29 2019-10-15 08:29:29

k_wyndham_t
Member
Registered: 2018-06-01
Posts: 92

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

vaz2121 wrote:

OOOOOHHHH I've Never had a runaway either but Many Many moons ago (probably 35yrs at least) I witnessed bods evacuating the shed that had a runaway in...... Copious clouds of Smoke, Screaming engine (and bods) then a Sort of strainging screach and bang clunk and bits of shrapnel as a seize and bits of escaping engine hapening all at the same time............. Nobody was willing to go back in and see what's happening after the screachy bang ............ Nevermind the smoke still billowing out the doors..............

IIRC it to ingested it own oil to destuction

Yes thats what they do, just carry on until oil supply stops and engine seizes or until it over revs until it litterally blows apart.

Unless you can stop it, only two ways, safe way is to stall it but that depends on if you can stall an engine revving flat out. I did thankfully on second attempt it stayed stalled too, but after 1st attempt it just restarted.

2nd way which I hear is possible but I wouldn't consider it, is to take away the air supply to the engine, basically shove something in the air inlet so no air gets into engine, however this means going very close to an engine that may detinate at any moment. TBH if the first doesnt work I would personally run away and warn off people getting close and just wait for the bang!

Offline

#30 2019-10-15 08:53:51

tee_cee
Member
Registered: 2016-03-18
Posts: 236

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

k_wyndham_t wrote:
vaz2121 wrote:

OOOOOHHHH I've Never had a runaway either but Many Many moons ago (probably 35yrs at least) I witnessed bods evacuating the shed that had a runaway in...... Copious clouds of Smoke, Screaming engine (and bods) then a Sort of strainging screach and bang clunk and bits of shrapnel as a seize and bits of escaping engine hapening all at the same time............. Nobody was willing to go back in and see what's happening after the screachy bang ............ Nevermind the smoke still billowing out the doors..............

IIRC it to ingested it own oil to destuction

Yes thats what they do, just carry on until oil supply stops and engine seizes or until it over revs until it litterally blows apart.

Unless you can stop it, only two ways, safe way is to stall it but that depends on if you can stall an engine revving flat out. I did thankfully on second attempt it stayed stalled too, but after 1st attempt it just restarted.

2nd way which I hear is possible but I wouldn't consider it, is to take away the air supply to the engine, basically shove something in the air inlet so no air gets into engine, however this means going very close to an engine that may detinate at any moment. TBH if the first doesnt work I would personally run away and warn off people getting close and just wait for the bang!

Interestingly, newer diesels have an "air mixer" valve, which is mainly used to restrict main air flow to encourage flow from the egr when required. The other use is to shut off air flow when the engine is shut off to stop the normal clatter when stopping. Seems like this would halt runaway also.

Offline

#31 2019-10-15 23:25:54

vaz2121
Member
From: SW. Scotland
Registered: 2015-08-31
Posts: 688

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

tee_cee wrote:

The other use is to shut off air flow when the engine is shut off to stop the normal clatter when stopping. Seems like this would halt runaway also.

Not Looking to be argumentative.............. But the speed and Violence that this happens with is Honestly frightening and will take you by Surprise................ So I'm not so sure I'd wish To rely on switching the air flow off dohicky............
Diesels are opposite to petrol engines in that obviously they don't rely on an ignition and burn hotter and Faster the more fuel  that's added ..... Hence all the sooty smoke of un burnt fuel and in the case of indgesting is own oil..... unregulated supply as the the faster it spins the more it feeds it's self of it own lubricant............

I've been Guilty of this myself .... Turning up the pump a little and bringing on the boost quicker........ But those are a story for another time

I've had an acquaintance or two too add a little to much coal and get the EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) a tad to high this when sustainted heavy footed on long pulls up e.g. mont blanc... St Bernard or pyrenees............... We're talking melting pistons etc when egt hits 600.... 650+c

Last edited by vaz2121 (2019-10-15 23:30:16)

Offline

#32 2019-10-16 08:38:49

tee_cee
Member
Registered: 2016-03-18
Posts: 236

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

Yes I totally agree that the reality will be total and utter panic. But its worth having a plan, and if something as simple as switching off the ignition then thats something.
I do wonder though how to stall the engine when you are already in high gear and accelerating. Jump on the brakes?

Offline

#33 2019-10-16 09:19:55

k_wyndham_t
Member
Registered: 2018-06-01
Posts: 92

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

tee_cee wrote:

Yes I totally agree that the reality will be total and utter panic. But its worth having a plan, and if something as simple as switching off the ignition then thats something.
I do wonder though how to stall the engine when you are already in high gear and accelerating. Jump on the brakes?

Wont work in high gear basically you have to stop, with clutch probably in as otherwise will try and carry on going without braking, then put in 1st and drop clutch suddenly with brakes applied.
And yes if this happens and you dont know what is happening then total panic is what usually happens, luckily I was aware of what it might be and best course of action (and have a famously calm deminia too)

Offline

#34 2019-10-16 09:21:00

k_wyndham_t
Member
Registered: 2018-06-01
Posts: 92

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

On a lighter note Muffin 2 did the drive to work this morning and really doesnt seam like a 320,000 mile vehicle smile

Offline

#35 2019-10-16 15:17:23

vaz2121
Member
From: SW. Scotland
Registered: 2015-08-31
Posts: 688

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

k_wyndham_t wrote:

On a lighter note Muffin 2 did the drive to work this morning and really doesnt seam like a 320,000 mile vehicle smile

That's really good to hear and it just shows that given just normal TLC (What ever that is) how  long/many miles a vehicle can remain perfectly Servicable.................



I'd like to point out (under-normal circumstances) a Diesel runaway is most certainly not the Norm ..................

Offline

#36 2019-10-18 08:13:16

k_wyndham_t
Member
Registered: 2018-06-01
Posts: 92

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

vaz2121 wrote:

That's really good to hear and it just shows that given just normal TLC (What ever that is) how  long/many miles a vehicle can remain perfectly Servicable.................

Although that does include a brand new engine at 300 odd thousand, I've not quite worked out what it was destined for, its definately not an Expert Mk1 facelift engine, its a 2.0HDI 8 Valve brand new crate engine from Puegeot 2 years ago that Bristol City Taxis had fitted (weirdly with less than a year of its 14 year service life left) but layout is quite different from usual.

Offline

#37 2019-10-18 14:11:55

vaz2121
Member
From: SW. Scotland
Registered: 2015-08-31
Posts: 688

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

Even 300 odd thousand is not to be sniffed at................
{When I started out selfemployed in 1990....... I got my 2yr old Mercedes artic unit ran it for 4yrs and sold it to an exporter .... I put 600,000 Kms on it ..... it totaled 980,000 something kms [About 609,000 Mls] by then to start a new life in Africa somewhere}

Two things really ........... It's not necessarily the millage but in a taxi Environment there hard stop start Town/City miles......... and the good news for you a new engine rather than a good low mileage used......... Which I would have thought the norm......

They possibly couldn't get a good used but a taxi or any piece of equipement that has to earn its crust is in the bin if its unable to or would have to much down time awaiting repair ..... Oviously repair costs to investment comes into it..............
But when is as door not a door ? ............ When its ajar

Offline

#38 2019-10-23 13:16:32

k_wyndham_t
Member
Registered: 2018-06-01
Posts: 92

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

So my MOT went well, failure points below, on "Muffin 2" so over the winter it will be full steam ahead on the conversion going to make a few changes, going to utilise the Taxi's existing seat rails for the Rock and roll after moving one nearer th middle as seat will be less wide than existing taxi seat, this potentially should allow people to sit on the rear facing seat of the rock and roll while back doors shut so in theory it can remain an 8 seater like it is now.

I also intend to only construct a "single" height cupboard down offside this will have an oven with twin hob (yes actual oven), fridge and sink, but to be honest not much storage as water tanks and aux battery are likely to be in there too. No roof rack this time but the twin solar panels will be on there again and maybe a solar shower.

Mileage
321,729 miles

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
•Offside Rear Tyre has ply or cords exposed (5.2.3 (d) (ii))

Repair immediately (major defects):
•Nearside Front Wheel bearing rough when rotated (5.1.3 (b) (i))
•Offside Front Service brake excessively binding (1.2.1 (f))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
•Nearside Rear Wheel bearing slightly noisy (5.1.3 (b) (i))
•Offside Rear Wheel bearing slightly noisy (5.1.3 (b) (i))
•Front Play in steering rack inner joint(s) both ()
•Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))

Last edited by k_wyndham_t (2019-10-23 13:18:46)

Offline

#39 2019-11-04 10:30:11

k_wyndham_t
Member
Registered: 2018-06-01
Posts: 92

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

Muffin 2 update, so its going in for its MOT retest today.

Finnaly got the front bearing out wouldn't come out with my neighbours 20 ton rated ratchet press, frame was twisting and I just ran out of strength.

Bought a 20 ton hydraulic press, again frame started to twist, heated the swivel hub up on the cooker hotplate until almost rosey red and tried again, still didn't budge.

Despite the big warning sign saying do not use excesive force I lifted myself up on the arm for the 20 ton jack (I weigh nearly 300lb) and there was a loud bang, which was either the bearing moving or the jack bar cracking into my head as it gave way, and the bearing started to move.

Turned out the outer raece had started to rust into the swivel hub and thats why it was stuck so badly, the frozen replacement slipped in nicely into the still glowing swivel hub and after leaving in the freezer for a day the outer hub slipped into the bearing ok.

In other news after my wife kept slipping off the flap down passenger seat I have bought a single standard passenger seat from Cornwall which will go in at the weekend.

Offline

#40 2019-11-04 11:10:19

Jowettdriver
Member
From: Norwich
Registered: 2018-09-27
Posts: 5

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

Hi,

I really like what you did with the windows on Blueberry Muffin.

Looking to do something similar to mine so I was wondering where you got them from?

Cheers Tim.


2004 Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD SX

Offline

#41 2019-11-04 14:58:04

k_wyndham_t
Member
Registered: 2018-06-01
Posts: 92

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

Jowettdriver wrote:

Hi,

I really like what you did with the windows on Blueberry Muffin.

Looking to do something similar to mine so I was wondering where you got them from?

Cheers Tim.

https://www.vanwindowsdirect.co.uk/cate … UP-TO-2007

The one on rear panel behind door is just a door window upside down, also worth mentioning is that although they are listed as different parts on website actually left and right are the same.

Offline

#42 2019-11-04 15:03:07

Jowettdriver
Member
From: Norwich
Registered: 2018-09-27
Posts: 5

Re: Blueberry Muffin, the camper, the build!

Brilliant, thank you.
This is exactly what I was looking for, most of the aftermarket van window suppliers don't stock anything for the pre 2006 Scudo/Dispatch


2004 Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD SX

Offline

Board footer