The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-14 10:30:55

Zippypilot

Power steering 'notchy' - 2002 2.0HDi

Hmmm, another problem has reared it's head! not a big worry as the steering is fine to use, however it feels resistant and notchy when first started up. Moving the wheel to full locks a few times frees this problem. It has had a new feed line from the reservoir to the pump (doesn't appear to be any leaks) as the line was leaking over the alternator, which has been replaced. Fluid level is all good.

I am guessing there is either air getting into the system somewhere or a new pumpmay be needed? Anyone had this problem please feel free to let me know your fix/experience.

Gary

#2 2019-07-16 15:19:52

OAT

Re: Power steering 'notchy' - 2002 2.0HDi

It does sound like air getting in while standing and being cleared when pressure applied.

But if air is getting in and out, there must be a leak somewhere.  If definitely none visible, could it be leaking internally back through the pump?  Don't know if they do a service kit.

#3 2019-07-17 21:28:52

Zippypilot

OAT wrote:

It does sound like air getting in while standing and being cleared when pressure applied.

But if air is getting in and out, there must be a leak somewhere.  If definitely none visible, could it be leaking internally back through the pump?  Don't know if they do a service kit.

Think you are right being air getting in somewhere, and as no leaks (visible as far as I can see) could be the pump. Further investigation needed and I will report back

Ps, this morning perfect operation until I got home 3 miles later. Love a good intermittent challenge!

#4 2019-07-31 19:57:22

Zippypilot

Ha! Just had a thought, seeing that the hose from the reservoir to the pump has be replaced, could be a split in the reservoir its self or the outlet where the hose fits to, check tomorrow and report, really hope it's not the bloody pump!

Ps, no leaks visible still

Last edited by Zippypilot (2019-07-31 19:59:52)

#5 2019-11-17 18:03:42

Zippypilot

After having the engine serviced, the mechanic had a look at the steering, turns out the universal joint from the steering column was dry as a bone! A good dose of duck oil grease and now smooth as can be! So glad it wasn't the pump.

#6 2019-11-17 20:14:05

OAT

Zippypilot wrote:

After having the engine serviced, the mechanic had a look at the steering, turns out the universal joint from the steering column was dry as a bone! A good dose of duck oil grease and now smooth as can be! So glad it wasn't the pump.

A good old fasioned problem with an easy solution.  I wonder what OBD would make of that?  Bet there is no grease nipple though.  wink

Cheers for letting us know, must do mine as it does seem to be a bit notchty one way.

#7 2019-11-17 20:29:43

Zippypilot

OAT wrote:
Zippypilot wrote:

A good old fasioned problem with an easy solution.  I wonder what OBD would make of that?  Bet there is no grease nipple though.  wink

Cheers for letting us know, must do mine as it does seem to be a bit notchty one way.

Hi OAT, yeah, no grease nipple, he had to pierce the rubber boot to get the grease in and seal it wit tape. I can now turn the wheel with one finger. He asaid to come back for the rubber boot change as they are not easy to find

Board footer