The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-16 11:15:55

tee_cee

Eurotunnel

I see that Eurotunnel have linked their booking engine to the DVLA database, so you when you enter your reg number, it knows that you have a van.
However the good news is that they then ask if it's a camper, and what length it is. So under 5m and it's the same price as car.
Still double the price of the ferry but it's good to fill in the booking without having to wing it as a MPV etc.
Maybe the ferries will start doing the same.

#2 2019-11-17 23:05:45

Firemoth

Re: Eurotunnel

I always use p&o on Dover / Calais. (I used dfds once because they were £10 cheaper, but by god never again!) They save all your vehicle and passenger details so it's a simple drop down list to select which you've got this time.

I got moved into the tunnel for free once when sea France were in strike and blocked the ports. It's the only time I've used it and I honestly can't see the point in paying the extra. It might be a bit quicker but just sitting there in your car means you'll need to stop for an extra rest, therefore losing the time saved. On the ferry you can have a stroll, have a kip, have a beer (half going out, fill pint coming back  smile ) and you leave the ferry rested and ready to drive however many hours you feel comfortable doing

If in doubt, give it a clout!

#3 2019-11-18 01:00:10

vaz2121

Firemoth wrote:

I always use p&o on Dover / Calais. (I used dfds once because they were £10 cheaper, but by god never again!) They save all your vehicle and passenger details so it's a simple drop down list to select which you've got this time.

I got moved into the tunnel for free once when sea France were in strike and blocked the ports. It's the only time I've used it and I honestly can't see the point in paying the extra. It might be a bit quicker but just sitting there in your car means you'll need to stop for an extra rest, therefore losing the time saved. On the ferry you can have a stroll, have a kip, have a beer (half going out, fill pint coming back  smile ) and you leave the ferry rested and ready to drive however many hours you feel comfortable doing

What did DFDS do wrong I've sailed with them  either calais or of late on the Dunkirk route for last 5... 6 trips.... I find them a much of a muchness..........

In the days of Duty free and before the fire...
I had a frequent traveler card for the chunnel and a Mate of mine from Polegate and I would do day trip return (Easily once a month) on chunnel for £9 (I was based and living in Lewes E. sussex for 3 months at a time)
(I'm afraid I go far enough back using sealink and Townsend (to Ireland) even servicing (supplies) to the Hearald (I sailed out of Zeebrugger the week after when she was still lying there)

I've always said the sail might be more expensive than the drive to Dover (from up here) but especialy with the bike you arrive ready for a days riding/Touring as oppossed to first thing looking for a campsite (Either side)........... Yet again assess your needs YOU PAYS YER MONEY

As to tee_cee's original statement ......... It doesn't Surprise me............ This or a version has been carried out before ............ If you had a van the channel carriers (Inc even like a Corsa.... Fiesta van It would incur commercial vehicle rates) Although unlikely linked to DVLA data

Last edited by vaz2121 (2019-11-18 01:03:20)

#4 2019-11-19 10:52:10

tee_cee

I always use P&O too, because they have more ships, it's common to get on an earlier boat - as opposed to DFDS who will leave you sitting on the dock, hours late without any info on what's happening, nor an apology or explanation when you get on board.
Only used Eurotunnel at the weekend because were we doing a booze run, and Pidou booked and paid for the return crossing. However they said that they could only book as a high car - else it was the commercial van rate. Eurotunnel did pick up on it before boarding and said that in future they would enforce purchase of a new ticket if I was booked as a high car.

#5 2019-11-19 11:33:26

Casper

I only cross at Newcastle (DFDS) or Hull (P&O) i will have to be stuck to go back to DFDS. I used them last year only due to me not knowing about the cookie scam.
Being in the Convoy last year we were on up the back with all the coaches. Little Filipino guy who had some sort of chip on his shoulder was barking at up about parking and was guiding up to the doors for upstairs he was taking us between two coaches what meant rubbing agents them both were caked in road dirt what never bothered him due to wearing overalls. We never went through so he started shouting at us. That got my back right up to shouting back in a rage o offered him to come back so i can kick his ******* *** ** for talking to us like that. We found another way up stars ignoring this little shit. The rest of the staff were no better. Only ones who treat you with respect were the European girls up on the bar but even then they had at least six jars out with tips writing on the sides. Ill decide if i want to tip. I never do TBH. Only one who gets tips is the folk changing the rooms in the morning.

P&O are wayyyyyyy better staffed. They still look filipino but seem to be trained in hospitality a lot better and always treat you with a smile. OK Hull is another 100 miles or so down the A1 but the difference in the trip over is night and day. Food is nicer also and the rooms seam cleaner. I can kind of understand the DFDS guys being pissed off as they get all the idiots doing the Amsterdam weekends but that is n reason to treat all your passengers the same. DFDS are never interested with complaints either so sod them. Ill never be using them again.

#6 2019-11-19 14:16:50

vaz2121

I'm going to have to Say I still find them Much of a Muchness ............
I Also have to concede  that yes P&O is probably a better overall operator But as only DFDS are on the Dunkirk route .....
However Ive arrived and DFDS have given me an earlier sailing ... all be it there and then to Calais instead of Dunkirk ......... And on an earlier boat on retrun  via Dunkirk............
It's been several years (11/12yrs?) since sailing  Newcastle-IJmuiden so can't really comment But vaguely remember picking up a trailer somewhere about 2004/5 which IIRC came in from Norway ...........
I've also done the Hull-Zeebrruge route.......... Last time admitedly took the car on there was 2012........
Felixstowe-Europort :    Was on board for 4 hrs before sailing ............... that was late eighties though..........
I wriggled out a trip Sailing from Plymouth- Santander (freight boat) again Mid-late eighties only  for it to sail 12 hrs late because of bad weather ... The boat then had an engine fire and the stand in driver for me had fled the scene (Back to Scotland claiming he was poor sailor) before boarding had commenced and the other driver fell off the ferry during the Abandon ship operation...........
So I ended up going Via Portsmouth-Cean (after recovering Vehicles) and what now is areally funny story .....
Living it at the time was an utter nightmare (I left home on 2nd Dec allegedly for 4 or 5 days {I was only going to Gatwick... ended up in Andalucia}..... Returned at 5.35 pm Christmas eve)........
(That other guy was a Jonah........ First trip out in New Year the Boat Run aground)

That was my first Time down the Mulsanne Straight at Le mans ........... And also first time through which of late has been a regular......La jonquera -Le perthus and almost arrest....... But I digress...........

Back in the day when buying multi sailing pre-purchase tickets I admit to having a favorite and at time was Townsend Thoresen .............
Although we used many opperators..........
(Seen me going from window to window looking for first ferry across channel)

Since then and the advent of 1992 and the implementation of the Schengen Area....
Ferry sailings and Ports have diminished quite a bit ..........

Good or bad Brexit might see a rise in choice again ..............

Last edited by vaz2121 (2019-11-19 14:22:09)

#7 2019-11-19 17:46:46

vaz2121

I'm going to Say don't knock the chunnel.............
During it's construction I was Anti tunnel for many reasons............
It was open about 6 months or so when I Drove my Family to Euro Disney .....
It was an option that I refused and as it turned out was a Fairly rough sailing (January  95) and the kids and ExMRS (who was expecting at time) Plus lots of others were suffering.........
In 96 I was routed on chunnel for first time...........
1. Nerves about underground/water and doing it at Approx 100mph soon past............
2.I found the overall process smoother ............
3. Don't know if still the case ...Doubled Tesco vouchers value against ticket..........
4. Winter time and any time of year your guaranteed NO Rough Sailing ............
(From that point of view it can be a godsend if any traveling member gets jippy tummy aboard ship).........

But still It's part of your Journey/Adventure.........
Probably not the most Cost effective  (relatively speaking)............
(speed/ time costs........ "How fast do we want to go?".............. "How much you got?")

You pays yer Money

Board footer