The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-08-27 14:44:42

pabblo

Re: Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD 2004, Orange K light illuminating on the dash?

Tiree wrote:

Fingers crossed for you Pabblo!

Can I ask how much the new pump cost?

I'm going to try to diagnose mine a bit further this weekend by hooking the pump electrical supply to a meter to see if it's getting power when it fails.

This will hopefully point to, or rule out, a wiring issue or some other issue back up in the engine bay.

Good luck!  big_smile

Hi Tiree, thanks we've ran the round round at the weekend.

Not too far, just in case it did play up. And touch wood etc.. it seems to be behaving itself.

My dad noticed the van ran better too, and made less of wirring type noise on start up if that makes sense?

Which it was was doing before, so will see how we go over this week.

The in tank pump wasn't cheap cheap, cost was about £148 inclining the VAT for a Bosch one... Ouch.. so with labour etc.. the bill was enough shall we say!!

But a quick look on eBay / Amazon, shows the same part number can had for a shade under a £100. Right up to £170 depending who, and where you buy from.

I dare say Euro car parts, GSF etc.. or a local motor factor maybe able to help in supplying one too.

Certainly worth shopping around, before splashing out.

Will keep you posted on how our Scudo goes, and hope all is well with diagnosing the fault on yours smile

#27 2019-08-28 10:12:19

Tiree
Administrator

Aaw that's good new Pabblo smile hope it continues to behave!

I got cold feet splicing the wires to the lift pump [reluctant to introduce any further weak points!] - so have ordered up an extra plug & socket so I can splice without breaking the existing wires.

Unfortunately they're coming from China so might take a while!

Thanks for the cost info - I reckon I can stomach that sort of price if I'm sure that's the culprit .. we'll see!

Thanks again for the update.

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#28 2019-09-02 10:28:46

pabblo

Bad news.... the van has broke down yet again...

Seemed okay the last few days, no troubles at all since it's return.

Then yesterday evening a few miles up the road, it just cut out and has refused to restart. We noticed when cranking, there is no wirring type noise from the pump.

That is normally present, when we crank it over?

And the K-light is permanently on, with the stop symbol.

Tried leaving it a few hours, and then trying again to start it but the van won't have it.

To say I was annoyed was an understatement sad so feeling pretty deflated with the situation.

As I thought we was all sorted now, oh well.. back to the drawing board it seems..

#29 2019-09-10 17:38:26

pabblo

After trying for two nights on the trot, to get the van to start in a lay-by.

We gave up and ended up towing the van to the garage, since the RAC said it was too close to home to come out to tow it.

An unhelpfully, the garage didn't want to get it either!!

So after the tow hook snapped just over half way there, on the tow vehicle in comedy style.

Leaving my poor brother rolling along in the Scudo, with no van towing it yikes

We had to revert to plan B and tow it the short distance, with a borrowed estate car.. sorry mum..

But finally the Scudo is back at the garage, they said that after testing it the diesel pump is getting no signal.

Which I already figured, since the brown relay does not click on. When you flick the ignition on like normal, but the million dollar question is.

If the problem is with the relay, or is it with the wiring itself.

They are checking the wiring first, before trying a relay.

Hopefully they find a break or some kind of corrosion in the wiring, as I'm not 100 % sure it's the relay myself.

Since Tiree has replaced the relay, due to similar issues and now has the non starting we have.

We'll see, at the moment it's doing a great impression. Of a giant Fiat Scudo shaped giant paper weight, which isn't ideal.

As I could do with the van, for an important car part buying mission.

But is what it is, will post up once I hear back off them wink

#30 2019-10-08 12:25:41

pabblo

A little bit of an update, after some time and effort. The local auto electrician, seems to think he has the answer.

He's bypassed the brown relay for the pump, and the van now fires up no problem. So in order to solve our non starting issue, a new brown relay has been ordered.

Although it is on back order!! typical. I'm not sure personally 100%, this is going to solve all the issues with it cutting out. But what else can we do, since the van doesn't start now.

All I can hope for is some miracle, that this is actually it and I won't be towing the flipping thing again to a garage!!

#31 2019-10-08 21:50:21

Tiree
Administrator

Aah Pabblo .. I was wondering how you were getting on ..

I haven't updated my thread for a while either as I've been holding my breath after getting a new lift-pump fitted ... and ........

mad sad

I'll update my own thread with the details ...

If your van is still a total non-starter - you should be able to confirm if the relay is the problem or not.

First - do you hear the relay click when you turn the ignition to ON [ie - just before you turn it to fully to start cranking]? I can hear mine from the cab - it's pretty obvious.

** EDIT Pabblo - see next post! **

If you don't, then the problem will likely be the brown relay itself - but could possibly be some other electrical item further up the chain [ECU?].

If you can hear it click, then 12v power should be getting towards the pump [for a few seconds while the engine primes] - you can confirm this:

-  About half way down the passenger side of the van - look underneath and find the fuel tank [it's easy to spot!]
  -  Towards the forward-end of it you should see a connector hanging - if you unplug it, it should be a 6-pin connector
  -  Put a voltmeter into holes 3 and 4 [the middle two] on the connector coming from the front of the van
  -  Get someone else to turn the ignition to ON
  -  You should get a few seconds of 12v reading before the primer sequence completes

If you do, then the problem is either the connector itself, the wiring from the connector to the pump, or the pump itself [hopefully not since it's brand new!] .. I don't think there's anything else in between.

All of this assumes that the van does not currently start and that you don't hear the lift-pump activate at ignition-ON.

FWIW I replaced my fuel relay with an ebay used item and it made no difference with my van - but our paths aren't quite the same!

Head here to see my updates shortly ..

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#32 2019-10-08 22:30:08

Tiree
Administrator

Tiree wrote:

If you don't, then the problem will likely be the brown relay itself - but could possibly be some other electrical item further up the chain [ECU?].

Just re-read your previous posts Pabblo, sorry, I now remember that you had no relay click.

I actually thought you'd replaced it already as I got the part number from your post!

Think that should definitely be your next move.

I have a 2nd hand spare sitting here if the garage don't have any luck.

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#33 2019-10-10 12:32:12

pabblo

Tiree wrote:
Tiree wrote:

Just re-read your previous posts Pabblo, sorry, I now remember that you had no relay click.

I actually thought you'd replaced it already as I got the part number from your post!

Think that should definitely be your next move.

I have a 2nd hand spare sitting here if the garage don't have any luck.

Thanks for that Tiree, the garage has finally got a new relay and it has been fitted.

When the van broke down, that relay couldn't be heard clicking at all.

My dad fetched the van last night, so fingers crossed.

As we could do with a good result, after all this hassle and money!

I'll see about doing that the test you mentioned, I'd of hoped the garage would of done something similar before.

When they replaced the pump, as they did drop the tank to check for corroded / damaged wiring.

But whether they tested for 12v's at the connector, is the million dollar question!! So where's there's doubt, best to play it safe and check myself.

Just to be 100%, that we are not in for anymore grief!

In hindsight I should of just got a relay, but as it wasn't always not clicking when the fault occurred initially.

Or at least I think it wasn't, hmm...

I assumed, perhaps wrongly it was something else.

But you live and learn I guess, and as Fiat couldn't get me a relay in as it was on back order or something.

And every scrap yard I went too, any Fiat's, Peugeot's or Citroen's had been heavily raided for the brown relays!!

That should of got my alarm bells ringing, certainly worth hanging onto your spare one just in case.

Incidentally if anyone else, is looking for one of these relays at the local scrap yard.

As well as the Dispach, Expert & Scudo models, try the Citroen Berlingo / Xsara Picasso / Relay & Peugeot Partner, Boxer, 306, 406 with the 2.0 HDI.

Since some of these have those relays too, I believe the Peugeot / Citroen part number to be 1920 7L if that's of any use ?

It did cross my mind that the in tank fuel pump, if it was the real cause. Maybe could of possibly caused the brown relay to go some how, but that's just a wild guess.

The garage were pretty certain that the in tank / lift pump was a strong culprit, but after breaking down again. It was maybe just a part of the problem, rather than the actual answer.

Anyway, will try and check that wiring connector and see what I get. If all appears to be fine, I'll risk running it round at the weekend and see how we go. 

Whether we are at the final fix, well... that remains to be seen.

But keep your fingers crossed, and I'll post up when we've got some miles in on the Scudo.

Again cheers for the tips Tiree, and that view on your post from Kerrera was amazing!!

#34 2019-11-25 19:38:44

pabblo

Hi all, a quick update on this!!

Touch wood the van has been running, starting and going okay over the last month or so.

So I think the issue was in two parts, first the in tank fuel pump or lift pump as some call it.

The second, the brown relay located on the passengers side of the engine bay. Just behind the headlight, as since that was replaced with a genuine new part. Which took several weeks to arrive, the van starts and runs okay every time.

I assume the pump was starting to malfunction in some way, or that the brown relay. Was putting some sort of strain on the pump, by not working correctly.

So my best advice is to replace the brown relay at first, then check the wiring loom between the relay and pump. And then the in tank pump, and go from there if the issue persists.

Hopefully we can enjoy some hassle free motoring now, and get back to sorting some the little dinks, dents and scratches on our van!!

Many thanks for all the help and advice, and I'll try and post up some photos of a our shiny van once it's all tidied up.

#35 2019-11-25 21:22:37

Tiree
Administrator

Pabblo!

Good to hear all's been well!

Looking forward to pics!

DSC_0360-1.jpg

Board footer