The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-25 17:15:38

Algenon2019

Dispatch 1.6 2015 - Filter Clogging Problem - Help needed

Please can someone advise - I recently purchased this van from my workplace, so I know the history, it's done 250k miles, There was a problem with an engine fault and the message "Danger of filter clogging" and into limp mode with the radiator fan always coming on. The company had it cleaned and the message went, it flew through an MOT and then 2 weeks later bang, the same thing happened. They again had it cleaned and same happened. So they decided to sell it. I purchased it, took it to a garage who cleaned the egf? Valve, replaced the fan sensor. Cleaned the DPF again and it was ok for 3 days, then the engine management light came on, then the same problem occurred.
Please can someone advise me as I have been told the problem is that although the people who cleaned them can remove fault messages even if the filters are cleaned/replaced the messages will keep coming back until I get someone with the ability to tell the computer that the DPF is CLean or Replaced. Sorry to sound like a dummy but I'm stuck with a van I cannot drive.
Thanks in advance.

#2 2019-11-25 23:54:48

vaz2121

Re: Dispatch 1.6 2015 - Filter Clogging Problem - Help needed

The DPF needs to be removed from vehicle and cleaned of all soot if this is done on van through regen and its been heavily clogged it might still be 70% full......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv01BlfqXoY

If cleaning off the van was done It could be a software problem and not recognising the instruction or as you a say needing one  more specific OBD reader to Citroen....
Could maybe be a faulty sensor either at the front or the rear of the DPF registering incorrect pressure reading and tripping warning ......
In which case a proper full OBD scan/reading and not just a generic one..........

Also is it one of those PSA Vehicles that needs the FAP/DPF fluid refilled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyEpmE5MfWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUszaEYFYc

you get the idea

Last edited by vaz2121 (2019-11-25 23:55:44)

#3 2019-11-26 10:07:26

Algenon2019

Thank you very much for the reply. I think the dpf is clean but the garage only had the generic lights out info gone computer and I need to take it to a main dealer. Can you advise if it's ok to travel in limp mode with the fan constantly on.

#4 2019-11-26 12:50:14

vaz2121

Driving it would be very much your decision............
1.If DPF is clear and in Limp mode it sounds as though it's not doing job properly..............
2. if it's FAP (DPF) Fluid bottle is empty it's definitely Clogging at a faster rate and bottle needs refilling and reset.............

The safest option is obviously have it trailered/recovered there ...........

If the Dpf is fully blocked I would  have thought engine wouldn't run ( Had a Cat do that on a petrol engine  vehicle before) ........
But if it's restricting exhaust flow greatly  engine damage could follow.....
Hence limpe mode..........

I Dear Say the question is "How longs a bit of string " .............

I'm Sorry I can't really answer your question .... Don't know what I'd do..........

#5 2021-03-02 16:41:02

Galinirob

I am having a similar problem with my 2012 Dispatch L2H1 HDI 95.1997cc  98,000 miles
After the fuel cooling tank needed replacing ( ploughing through deep puddle at high speed), my local garage replaced that, all was good.
But, on refilling my almost empty fuel tank, the 'Risk of Filter Clogging' appeared on the dash; with the warning triangle of death too...so, back to the garage who found this P1442 error code with "additive system low or adding impossible"
Took it to Citroen dealer next week as advised, diagnosed again  (kerchang..£125 please) which resulted  'additive fuel pump fault out circuit, checked wiring and power supply all ok, recommend to replace pump/tank.'
the cost i'm quoted from Citroen is £672  yikes
Help please!!
1. can the just the pump be replaced and tank simply refilled? Or is my model fitted with a non serviceable  additive tank?
BTW, this is nothing to do with the Adblue!

#6 2021-03-02 19:02:18

tee_cee

The test for the pump is to fire it off with Lexia and listen to pump - you should be able to hear it clicking. I just wonder if they actually did that.

At 98k there probably isn't much fluid left and indeed the filter may be close to end of life - as per the amount of unburnt additive left in the DPF. Citroen should be advising the fluid level and unburnt additive as part of their £125 fee.
Everything I've read indicates that the pump is part of the tank.

Ultimately the pump dispenses a small amount of eolys (4ml per tank in my case), so there is nothing to stop you doing this manually for now.

I'd suggest that you get a ODBD adapter and install the FAP app to monitor how the regenerations are going. If things are not right then the regens will be frequent, and triggered by the FAP pressure rather than the calculated soot content.

https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/foru … hp?id=1283

#7 2021-03-04 12:38:24

Galinirob

Thanks for your detailed reply tee_cee, very helpful smile

I will query Citroen about the levels and the pump.

I drove the van yesterday after almost a week of it resting ; the warning light and the message didn't flash up !!

The last time I drove it, I took advise after reading about the regen thing, and drove about 9 miles above 2500 revs; Does this mean its 'fixed'?

You mention the filter might be close to its end; are these serviceable ? Ive seen videos of steam cleaning and using a fluid but dont know about which vehicle..

Re the ODBD and FAP app.. I'm sorry I'm completely out of my depth there!

#8 2021-03-04 13:35:16

tee_cee

Hi, additive pump is only activated when you add fuel - so if the ECU thinks that this has failed, or thinks that the tank is empty, then it will will light the "risk of blockage" light.
Frankly the Italian tuneup advice on the net is not really that helpful. I goes back to the early days when the manufacturers hoped that soot would be burned off during the normal driving. With these engines the main regen process is kicked off when the (calculated) soot level hits a predetermined limit (5g/l in my case). During this process the exhaust temperature will rise to over 500c. If there is no eolys fluid being injected into the fuel, the soot will not burn off as effectively - and the exhaust will eventually block up.

Regarding the life of the filter, again this is part of the diag "Distance remaining before replacement of the FAP" along with "Additve Remaining". Did they give you give you a printout of the diag?

In my case with 2015 DW10CD the readings suggest that the filter should last for 150k miles, but I think earlier engines may be less. The fluid Peugeot used, changed at some stage from Eolys 176 to Eolys Powerflex which lasts longer.

Yes, the filter can be cleaned - which is what Citroen\Peugeot will do with reconditioned DPFs (at eye watering prices). There are independents that do this, but I have no experience of them. I would not recommend after market DPFs (smaller size, lower precious metal content -> shorter life)

ODB2 adapter and trial app
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-OD … 4476388363
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … .c.faplite

#9 2021-03-04 16:21:18

Galinirob

Thanks again for this ; Citroen didn't give me the detailed print-out! Just an advice note..

Ive swotted up on the ODB2 and have got the faplite app now; should get the adapter Monday so I will have a go as looks like something i can understand!

I didn't know the pump was activated when you refuel..hmm, so squirting in 4ml per tank is another great bit of helpful info, thanks

Going to ring Citroen later today

#10 2021-03-05 11:47:17

tee_cee

From what I recall FapLite won't give you all of the data, but enough to see that the app will work. I bought the full version, only for it to stop working when the ECU was updated at the dealer sad. If it does work, then its worth the £8.14 - oddly only from the Amazon app store.
I worked out the typical additive usage based on the Powerflex datasheet https://www.solvay.com/en/brands/eolys-powerflex, however the older eolys 176 appears to use more than this - I've seen 8ml per tank being quoted. You can tell which you are using by looking at the colour of the quickfit connectors on the tank Blue = Powerflex, Green = eolys 176.

Board footer