The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-25 21:39:24

Shakes

Mystery coolant smell...

Hi forum

Brenda the Dispatch continues to be worrisome....

After recently fitting a low-mileage replacement engine and new turbo/MAF/radiator, I've now enjoyed a few thousand miles of high speed, trouble-free usage. But there's now a hot coolant smell coming from somewhere which i can't account for.

The van is showing no signs of losing water from the system, it doesn't overheat and all hoses and the radiator and water pump are all brand new.

Could this be heater-related I wonder? The heater and fan still work, but I've noticed it doesn't quite demist the very top of the windscreen any more.

The coolant whiff is strongest after the van has been parked up for half an hour after a run.

I had a mate with a Berlingo who had a similar problem, but I never found out the cause. Any thoughts would be welcome

cheers all x

#2 2019-11-26 00:50:24

vaz2121

Re: Mystery coolant smell...

It does sound very much like your heater matrix starting to leak ...........
Normally one second your fine the next is steam and scalding water all over carpet and floor hopefully on other side and nobody's sitting there.........

#3 2019-11-26 08:54:19

Shakes

Yikes! I had a feeling that could happen...think I might drive around with the heater switched off for a while. From what I can see though, a new matrix is dirt cheap. Another thing to add to the list. do you know if this can be done without removing the dash?

Last edited by Shakes (2019-11-26 09:26:22)

#4 2019-11-26 13:37:27

vaz2121

Sorry I've no idea.........

I was about to say before reading all your post " Dirt cheap matrix .... really expensive labour " is the norm

{You picked the right time of year to spring a matrix leak}......

#5 2019-11-26 19:29:48

Shakes

There's a cowl under the dash with 2 screws, gonna start by removing that and putting my head up there....

For serious work on Brenda, I am lucky enough to have a mate who fixes lorries for Mercedes. He is happy to take my money on occasion and will hopefully be rebuilding my front suspension soon.

Board footer