The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-19 17:35:57

Jowettdriver

Leaking fuel filter

Hi all,

Just got back from an abandoned MOT attempt!!

Did all my usual checks before heading to my MOT place and all was fine, when I got there the chap doing my MOT had only been at it 2 minutes when he came through and said there was a puddle of diesel on the floor under the van. I went through and took a look and there was diesel dripping from the fuel filter at a rate of perhaps a drip per second. I have a great relationship with the garage I use so we tried a few things to fix it. After cleaning it and re-starting it we could see the leak was coming from under the locking ring on the top of the filter. We tried to tighten it but couldn't get any movement on it. At this point the MOT was abandoned as it was only going to make a mess over the workshop floor and was a fail anyway!!

I am about to order a replacement fuel filter and seal in the hope that its just a faulty seal, but I just wondered if anyone else had come across this problem before? Also looking on ECP website it lists two different filters, one for the Bosch system and one for the Siemens system, anyone know how to tell the difference easily?

I should add this is for the 2004 Fiat JTD (Peugeot HDI?) turbo engine.

I couldn't believe it as it was fine when I had left home!

Cheers Tim

Last edited by Jowettdriver (2019-11-19 17:36:27)

2004 Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD SX

#2 2019-11-19 20:09:21

woodbine

Re: Leaking fuel filter

I don't know the solution to your problem, but I have the same model, same year. The housings on these filters don't seem to be a very good design.

Took it in for a service some time ago, and was leaking on the way home. Went back to garage and mechanic tried everything to stop it, but no luck. In the end, he rummaged around in the bin and found the old filter's seal. He swapped the old seal for the new one and all was well.

Next time I took van for service, I reminded him of this and asked him to keep the old seal in the housing when he changed the filter. Still leak free 14 months on. Maybe these filter housings prefer some seals to others. Good luck!

Last edited by woodbine (2019-11-19 20:19:07)

Fiat Scudo 2004 (54) 2.0 Jtd Dynamic Van

#3 2019-11-19 21:50:45

Tiree
Administrator

This has happened to me twice - once after a service at a garage and once after I serviced it myself.

On both occasions nothing worked - everything seemed fine but a very slow leak persisted.

On both occasions the leaks stopped on their own after a day or so.

No explanation. As woodbine says it's clearly a bad design and maybe the new seals just take a while to settle?

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

mini_citroen-dispatch2.jpeg

#4 2019-11-20 00:18:58

vaz2121

I'm assuming it's the screw on lid type rather than the ratchety clip type Ive got on the DW8.............
I've come across that type in Few makes Inc on The ill fated 307 I had.... It too Leaked but as my Luck usually goes  it required another filter housing..........
You can get a "C"  spanner or Ratchet adapter   A bit like the type for adjusting Pre-load and rebound on Motorcycle suspension and Coil Overs ...........

And here lies some of the Problem IMHO
It and others I've seen (Being plastic and probably getting brittle with all the under-bonnet Heat cycles) had just been tightened way way to much and either broke because of that or the force used to undo it......
This appears to be the trait of those plastic screw on lids on Gm, Fords too.......

Oil filter housings also ...........
God knows why folk think it's got a 30 something mm Nut on top for Rumping it down tight ... Either spliting lid but usually cracking the alloy casing it screwed into.......

#5 2019-11-23 12:30:53

Firemoth

I had a similar problem on my wife's xsara picasso (same engine, same filter). I put the old seal back on and it was fine again. Kept that seal every time I've changed the filter and it's still ok a year ish on

If in doubt, give it a clout!

#6 2019-12-04 10:31:10

Jowettdriver

Just thought I'd give you a quick update with this. So it turned out to be two issues, the first being that as suggested the seal was badly crushed/the wrong size and no longer able to seal. The second issue was that the threads in the plastic housing were completely choked up with road grime and grit, this made turning the threaded collar very difficult, as soon as any pressure was applied to the threads the whole thing locked up and couldn't nip up the seal.

5 minutes with some diesel and a paint brush (being bloody careful not to get any grit in the filter housing!) and a new seal/filter and the leak is fixed.

Flew through its MOT so all good for another year.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers Tim

2004 Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD SX

Board footer