The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-03 10:07:41

k_wyndham_t

Throthy Coolant

So after discovering my old resevoir had a split along the seam and thats why I had been slowly loosing coolant I bought a new resevoir from Lithuania and it arrived last week so I fitted it over the weekend.

Now when I fitted it and fitted the original radiator cap I noticed the cap didnt fit that great but did screw down firmly (think it had been crossthreaded at some point on old resevoir)

Last night on way home I could smell coolant, wasnt running hot only 90 degrees despite being stuck in trafic jam so waited till I got home.

Opened bonnet and was greated by pink throth and a now slightly crooked cap, went to tigten cap and it burst off in my hand and showered a twenty foot area backwards from the resevoir (good job it was the rear threads that had popped otherwise it would have been covered in pink foam at 90 odd Celsius.

After the shock, the resevoir (now open) looked normal but the red coolant looked a bit throthy but otherwise normal and the engine (which I had left running) was still at 90 degrees.

I checked this morning once it was cold and topped up the coolant (was missing maybe a litre)

I fitted my spare rad cap and went to work, got up to about 80 C on my 4-5mile trip to work and when I checked the resevoir at work it looked at bit throthy inside but OK.

So do you think I have an issue (worth mentioning the previous owner had reported it had overheated twice, once was a blocked thermostat, but 2nd time garage couldnt find what was wrong but said might be blocked radiator) he had a sniff test done and it was fine, and neither the garage or myself have ever seen it overheat since.

At the time I bought it it was running a brand new crate engine but original Radiator and expansion bottle, and water as coolant, before driving the 90 minute trip home I blead the coolant system in case someone had not done it.

It has always been fine on water except the slight loss from crack in resevoir, but obviously wanted proper coolant after changing the resevoir especially as getting cold now even in sunny Devon.

The coolant is Halfords red coolant.

#2 2019-12-03 14:59:19

Shakes

Re: Throthy Coolant

Hmm. Sounds familiar. Check some of my 'Brenda' posts out from 2016-17....I had very similar issues. Could be the head gasket or a leak from the inlet manifold into the coolant system. These engines don't seem to be able to cope with overheating; my system suffered for two years with over-pressurisation. Keep an eye out for white deposits around your cap.

#3 2019-12-03 15:27:13

k_wyndham_t

Shakes wrote:

Hmm. Sounds familiar. Check some of my 'Brenda' posts out from 2016-17....I had very similar issues. Could be the head gasket or a leak from the inlet manifold into the coolant system. These engines don't seem to be able to cope with overheating; my system suffered for two years with over-pressurisation. Keep an eye out for white deposits around your cap.

No milkyness or traces of oil/water combining, and it has passed sniff test for head gasket, and hoses do not go hard so dont think its too much preasure well not to that extent anyway. But what is this inlet manifold issue, does the inlet have a water passage?

Not sure how that would fail so soon on an engine, it was a crate engine inc all ancillaries less than 3k miles ago so basically brand new so no signs of corrsion or wear.

Might be worth a mention that the engine is not the correct one, its what ever 2.0 HDI engine that Peugeot still sells as a crate engine so its not a Mk1 Expert facelift engine its an 807 engine maybe or a Mk2 Expert engine or similar, not quite sure what to be honest.

Last edited by k_wyndham_t (2019-12-03 15:30:12)

#4 2019-12-03 20:34:07

Shakes

Have a look at my thread on here from 7th January (coolant level rising and falling) see if anything there chimes with what you're experiencing

#5 2019-12-03 20:36:30

Shakes

There is an interesting reply from Steve the Grease which may or may not be relevant....I hope your new engine is under warranty.

#6 2019-12-03 23:10:24

Tiree
Administrator

Shakes wrote:

Have a look at my thread on here from 7th January (coolant level rising and falling) see if anything there chimes with what you're experiencing

here smile

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#7 2019-12-04 09:42:22

k_wyndham_t

Shakes wrote:

There is an interesting reply from Steve the Grease which may or may not be relevant....I hope your new engine is under warranty.

Does sound a lot the same, just seams so unlikely as engine so new, I will check the receipts but suspect unless Peugeot are going to warranty the engine itself (unlikely if fitted by independant to wrong vehicle) that there wont be a valid warranty, it was probably self fitted by Bristol City Cabs but will check.

Also it has just had a sniff test done before I bought it just to confirm it wasn't the head gasket.

But I have ordered a sniff test of my own just to confirm if it is the bad news, if it is then will have to hope a dose of k-seal or steel seal will do the job, they tend to work reasonably especially if you run the engine without boost for a few hours then leave for a day or so before driving.

#8 2019-12-08 13:40:49

k_wyndham_t

OK did another sniff test, this time me, not garage last owner used. But although looks like fumes are going through the liquid it stayed blue so not head gasket.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ … =679818063

#9 2019-12-11 21:41:04

Shakes

That's a relief. Or a partial relief anyway. I never did find out what was causing my water system to pressurise. Still got the old engine, 187k on it, it's on a pallet at work so I may examine it thoroughly in the new year. Will definitely get the head off. One thing I know for sure is that there was air getting into the water system, but no water getting into the oil system.

Last edited by Shakes (2019-12-11 21:44:56)

#10 2019-12-23 10:22:49

k_wyndham_t

So having read some report on car forums where they use the Pug 2.0 HDI apparently the water and oil basically almost never mix on these engines as the water and oil galleries are a long way apart but but coroded fire rings blowing into the water gallery is very common failure point and weirdly often still pass sniff tests if still fireing well on that cylinder so looks like it is probably the head gasket sad

#11 2019-12-24 19:11:37

Shakes

Ahhhh shite

?

Get that gasket done. Plenty of garages will tell you it's not worth it due to having to drop the subframe/engine. But you don't have to do that. You can go in from the front and tilt the engine forwards.

Yes it will cost, but cheaper than buying a new van

#12 2020-01-02 15:15:09

k_wyndham_t

Shakes wrote:

Ahhhh shite

?

Get that gasket done. Plenty of garages will tell you it's not worth it due to having to drop the subframe/engine. But you don't have to do that. You can go in from the front and tilt the engine forwards.

Yes it will cost, but cheaper than buying a new van

Really so it can be done by tilting it! Never realised that, I looked at it and just thought shit its an engine out job.

If it can be done without a lift I might just do it myself.

Board footer