The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-15 22:45:07

uxb443

Scudo - 2006 - Heater runs very HOT.

Temperature from heater is fine, most of the time, and then it starts coming out VERY hot. Could cook a sausage on it! Yep. Extremely hot. Temperature control slider suddenly loses all control, and does nothing.

Heater hot/cold knob doesn't push/pull a cable to control temperature. It is an electrical slider.

Hours of searching on this and other forums suggests there maybe one or more CONTROL FLAPS, rather than a plumbing valve type control.

All lower dash panels off. Heater control unit out. Heater vents out. Instrument cluster out. Radio out. Can't find anything yet that resembles a flap control motor.

Late model with air con. If that helps.
I'm familiar with the blower mechanism having changed the resistor pack on my old Scudo twice! Can't find it down there.
Engine temperature is fine. No coolant lost at all. Suggests problem is centred on the heating system.

WHERE ARE THESE CONTROL FLAPS? Has anyone any idea please? Do I need to pull the main dashboard out? Does anyone have another idea?

Thanks.

APOLOGIES FOR PUTTING THIS IN THE WRONG SECTION. NO IDEA HOW I DID IT.

Last edited by uxb443 (2019-12-15 22:52:17)

#2 2019-12-15 23:51:48

steve the grease

Re: Scudo - 2006 - Heater runs very HOT.

Up , down. Hot , cold . It's all done with flaps and electric motors. The hot water runs through the heater matrix all the time. On the air con models there will be a little vent somewhere around the dash area, behind it is a little unit with a fan and a thermister. Basically it pulls in and samples air from the vehicle measuring its temperature it then lets the AC ECU to decide on the flap positions.
These can clog up with fluff and stop working. Also check out the  temperature flap motor.  with engine running move setting from hot to cold , you should hear a little motor running . Find it and them check out and lub. Certainly on some older PSA stuff the heater is the first thing to be fitted to the bulkhead when the vehicle is built so removing is a lot of work. EG Change Xantia heater matrix 9 hours in the book ........

#3 2019-12-15 23:56:43

uxb443

Thanks Steve. Looks like I’ll be busy tomorrow.?

#4 2019-12-17 11:31:01

uxb443

Great progress. Took a while. Thanks Steve. Thanks Peugeot Service Box (Great diagrams). Took a while to piece it together.

The Heater Vent Flap Control and Actuator Motor is by your left knee, on my 2006 Scudo.

To get at you need to remove:
1. Left and middle lower dashboard panel.
2. Right hand lower dashboard panel.
3. Middle/centre bottom panel. (Where the heat comes out by the floor)

Takes me about 15-20 minutes to get it all off. I’ve done it about four times now, over the years.

With your head under the steering wheel, looking down and to the centre of the van you will see the BEHR motor sticking out under the edge of a protection panel.

Remove the four screws and the panel easily slips out, revealing all the motor and the big white cogged lever that operates the flap.

The motor is removed by removing three screws. Make sure you replace all three screws on replacing the motor as this ensures correct location, which is important.

The motor, which is tiny (about 30mm dia), is mounted on a small gear box. With a tiny flat head screwdriver gently ease the four retaining tabs and the motor and gearbox easily separate.

On the spindle that’s comes out of the motor is a spring and tiny cog. Don’t lose them! My cog was not showing any signs of wear.

Gearbox has a much larger cog that meshes with the teeth on the lever that operates the Heater Control Flap. There was no wear on the cog or the teeth on the lever.

Push the lever across. The flap inside the ‘box’ moves up and down easily. Very satisfying. It actually returns on its own. Spring or gravity - I have no idea.  NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS. If it fails again I’ll drill a hole in the lower dashboard and fit a cable, similar to the one that operates the gears on a pushbike, to the actuator lever. HaHa! I AM serious. I like a controllable heater!

When operating the motor with the control lever on the heater control unit there is a 2/3 second lag before the motor starts operating. The cog coming out the gearbox operates very slowly. From fully open to fully closed takes about 10 seconds. That is how it works on mine.

RE-FITTING of motor/gearbox assembly. Be careful. On mine I noted the direction of travel of the big cog in relation to the position of the heater control. When the heater control lever was fully to the right, moving it to the left made the cog rotate CLOCKWISE. So I pushed the actuator lever across, against the return pressure, slipped the motor/gearbox assembly into place and fitted the screws. I have no idea if these vehicles are all the same so be careful, go back to first principles and a bit of logic and you should be fine.

[Not related to this job but info that may be helpful another time: On the one photo to the right of the motor you can see a rectangular thing with cables coming out the base. That is the Air ConditioneD Thermostat. Per the Peugeot Service Box diagrams. Just underneath it to the left, and partially hiding behind the vertical steel tube, is the Evaporator Sensor.]

If I have problems loading the photos they may follow on a later post. Here goes!

D139B0BC-B703-4902-A382-034BDC5D1AF1.jpeg

Flap actuator motor manufacturer and part number is - BEHR 61500 d    ECO553

When you have removed the Heater Control Unit the top panel (the one with all the resistors, lamps, micro chips etc) unscrews from the unit. Small screwdriver to gently depress the retaining tab and it comes off very easily. Turn it over and you can see the brass contact surfaces. Mine were very mucky. I cleaned the contact surfaces with cotton buds and gin (cos I didn’t have any meths). Don’t use white spirit or petrol due to the oily residue they leave behind. I wiped the contacts first very gently with some 1200 grade wet and dry.

Incidentally, just in case I couldn’t get the heater control unit working I searched around for electronics people/businesses who could do a repair. I phoned around for an hour and popped to see an electronics whizz kid. No luck. If you find someone who can fix these units for goodness sake let us know.

The result? It’s all working again for the moment, but most importantly I understand most of how it works. Smiley face.

Last edited by uxb443 (2019-12-18 05:45:58)

#5 2019-12-17 11:47:30

uxb443

Another photo.

687895E5-FB43-44ED-8D89-9CC52F1F425B.jpeg

F68CEB6A-8611-47B9-AB6C-5E7334CAD05F.jpeg

#6 2019-12-17 11:52:23

uxb443

One of the heater control unit

It is the bottom right slider that was NOT responding (intermittently).

79F52B26-97E5-4725-8523-986F71DE7C0B.jpeg

#7 2019-12-18 02:33:14

OAT

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting the info and pics.
I am sure they will come in useful.

Board footer