The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-01 13:32:07

soulfly83

Dead scudo

Going to try help out someone with a 1.9 d non turbo scudo. Being new year I've not had a chance to see it yet. All I know at the moment is it was driving, he heard a sound like driving over a box and it cut out and hasn't started yet. Any common issues with these engines to look out for.

Cheers

#2 2020-01-01 18:12:36

OAT

Re: Dead scudo

Can't think of anything sounding like running over a box!  smile  Noise from the engine or literally underneath?

What year?  There were a lot of changes in over 20 years with the introduction of engine management, etc.

#3 2020-01-01 18:14:14

vaz2121

soulfly83 wrote:

Going to try help out someone with a 1.9 d non turbo scudo. Being new year I've not had a chance to see it yet. All I know at the moment is it was driving, he heard a sound like driving over a box and it cut out and hasn't started yet. Any common issues with these engines to look out for.

Cheers

The 1.9D is about as basic a diesel as you can get even in its last incarnation (DW8/B) .........
But even the computer influence it had was minimal ..................
{None at all if it got an XUD}

I'm afraid your description is a little vague..........
I can't think of anything common that would fit the bill............
Other than "Cam belt Failure" which is common to all if neglected ............
{Or as life often deals..... Sh** Happens}

All I can say about a "Cam Belt" is that it's usually that transition from power on to power off when they snap ...........
Even at effectively slow speeds/RPM's ...........(it''ll break on the Over run)

Sorry not very useful.

#4 2020-01-01 22:51:01

soulfly83

Once I get a look at it I'll have a better idea and description for you. It's a 54 plate, 124000 miles. Bare with me, I'll update asap. Cheers

#5 2020-01-02 15:26:53

soulfly83

Sounds like it's not turning over fast enough, no saying that's the problem but I'll need to start there. Going to charge battery up. Did try jump leads but it's been sitting a while

The cam is turning over with engine,  so belt must be intact?

Going to charge battery and get a can of easy start, that will help rule out fuel pump or fuel issue if it doesnt start

He also said he topped up collent with a different colour anti freeze, red mixed with green, collent is also below minimum. Mixing those two isnt good..

He also had some fit a another gear box very recently but I cant see that causing issue starting

#6 2020-01-02 15:50:40

soulfly83

Tried my 4x4 battery, its turning over a little better but sounds weak. Guy who fitted gearbox said to owner thought it was only trying to start on two cylinders.

#7 2020-01-03 03:01:42

Casper

If it had a new gear box then look fo rthe earth starap. You have a battery to chassis one but a sncong one from starter to chassis. This may not have been replaced. Due to your engish i am confused. If this started to happen after running over a box the look for pulled wires

#8 2020-01-03 10:51:02

soulfly83

Sorry the owner described it as,he was driving , it made a sound like he had driven over a box then the engine cut out.

The engine is turning over weak, like it has a poor battery or starter. As the engine turns over, it slows down, then picks up  slows down, picks up..

#9 2020-01-03 22:08:59

vaz2121

It's sounding quite ominous..........
There appears no reason why a starter would be working OK to start an engine and then after the engine cutting out become weak...........
(It's not impossible)..........
First of can you determine how difficult it is to rotate engine............
To eliminate a weak starter or low power feed ...........

This is total guess work..........
but it's sounding to me like the engine has suffered a partial seizure .............
The description of what happened is still a little vague on the run up to this event ..........

Ordinarily with your test turn of events I'd go right along with Caspers theory .......As I've had that very thing myself .... starter earthing through throttle cable or hood release cable..................

Could do with more information on chain of events on run up to this calamity...........
Check oil see if any traces of metal and level inc water..........

Engines tend to give subtle messages out of what's happening............
That's assuming we understand or the chain of events don't happen to rapidly........

As I said total guess work.......
But sounds internal like spun a bearing or nipping the rings... ETC ........
Something that allows engine to turn over but requires a lot of force to do so..........

I.E. when engine is hot it virtually locks up........

I think to find out an autopsy at least ........
Or a strip down with intent to rebuild........

Drain oil and check for sparklies ........
Metal particles large or small.........
{It could even look like a little silver paint on what at first glance is Normal...... silver sludge at bottom of bucket on emptying or bits like panning for gold}.........
Eliminate as many simple tests before committing to dig deep......

Sorry long way for a gloomy shortcut.........

#10 2020-01-03 22:32:36

vaz2121

I've just remembered your saying about mixing Antifreeze .........
Mixing Red with any other colour is a No No as it can cause the Antifreeze to curdle for the want of a better description.............
Which in turn could block water passages or radiator and cause overheating and to continue blindly if gauges indicate this could lead to what were talking about here .........

Board footer