The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-10 19:08:36

dRoyd

Favourite Campsite(s)?

Well I know from reading this forum a lot of you camp in lay-bys etc and sleep in your vans, but does anybody use campsites? If so any recommendations? I have a tent and would like to take a couple of bicycles in the back of the van. Maybe at some future date I’ll try doing a camper conversion!

#2 2020-01-11 01:52:51

tee_cee

Re: Favourite Campsite(s)?

I guess that you mean th UK, where the sites are either rubbish or expensive and usually both.
One option would be pubs that let you stay over if you have a meal. https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/nightstops

#3 2020-01-11 02:42:15

Casper

Just learn to use the site

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/

#4 2020-01-11 15:11:43

OAT

I don't use campsites or laybys.   I camp out in my van for hundreds of nights a year and find  pleanty of remote, and unpopulated places with spectacular views, wildlife, and few people.

I used to do a lot of backpacking and later cycle touring with tents or tarp and found it more difficult to find pitches than I now do with the van.  A pitched tent being more likely to attract unwanted attention than a parked van.  It's fine in the more remote areas as mentioned above, but not so easy in more populated areas.  Also best to pitch the tent late and put away early.

One of the worst things is to find yourself desperately looking for a suitable spot in the dark.  In a van you can in an emergency park up almost anywhere, but not with a tent.  Best I think to do some research before setting of.  OS or google maps are a good start.  Or do some recon in the van first.

Depending on what you are looking for, the online site finders can help.  I use them myself to find places to avoid. smile

I am still on my say no to Christmas tour.  From Skipton to Filey stopping high on the moors or deep down forestry tracks.  From Filey to the Humber Bridge, and over to Lincolnshire stopping at various fisherman's car parks down muddy tracks to the river.  Now heading back to the Dales.   Most of my stops would have been fine with a tent.

Where are you based?

#5 2020-01-11 16:14:31

dRoyd

Hi Oat
Based near Halifax, W Yorks. You’re right of course, much easier to sleep in the van, have a mate who does that all the time. He’s always in a forest up in the Lakes somewhere. I was just thinking of for little jaunts when I have to take my wife who worries about showers and toilets haha!

#6 2020-01-12 14:52:51

OAT

Sorry, missread your post.

There is a good search and reviews section here :-

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk

There should be some decent ones round Hebden Bridge, Todmorden area.  If you want to travel a bit further and don't mind basic facilities, Goredale Scar is in a great location.  Like most though, it can get busy in summer and bank holidays.

#7 2020-01-13 15:17:05

vaz2121

dRoyd wrote:

Well I know from reading this forum a lot of you camp in lay-bys etc and sleep in your vans, but does anybody use campsites? If so any recommendations? I have a tent and would like to take a couple of bicycles in the back of the van. Maybe at some future date I’ll try doing a camper conversion!

I will agree with tee-cee to a point and OAT..........
Having toured a bit with the bike 99% was campsite and as tee-cee says I/we came across some corkers ............
The other 1% would have mostly been bunkhouses because it was there and I/We had never dried out because of weather or had been drenched that day and it was still near strat of week............(Only twice have We {more than one bike} needed to bed down next to bike in 10 yrs)
Getting Soaked on first day or so and No prospect of weather lifting  can put a damper (Sorry No Pun Intended) on the week ...........

I've had good experience at campsites In Hawes,Glen Coe, Fort Augustas , Durness, Applecross to mark a few............ (Obviously these have been earmarked)
Apart from Fort Agustas I never had the Van at any........
By asking for recomendations as your doing is handy...........
Some forward planning and It's a bit of suck it and see........
Arrive in our case about 4.... 4.30 pm have a look and move on if needed ..........

Only once after a long and late day we didn't follow protocol when the Germans came over ........
Was a Campsite at Arrochar...........

The grass was about a foot tall (Ridiculous for pitching a tent on), Floor in shower/Toilet block was flooded with blocked Urinals and gone all that soft spongee way.....
The Smell was atrocious........
All 6 of us were awoken at arround 2.00AM with cars flying about site and the ensuing noise that sounded like a running battle ..........

But as for using sites with Van ......... Rarely and as OAT says I don't think I've ever Used a lay-by with it

(If you want to enquire about using a lay-by with the Lorry: "I'd rather not but wherever possible is the answer")

#8 2020-01-13 17:10:26

dRoyd

Well everyone makes very good points, thanks for the replies! Definitely want to see a bit of Scotland this year at least. Perhaps the answer for me is to do a bit of both ie, take the tent but be prepared to sleep in the van on other nights :)

#9 2020-01-13 20:48:36

Casper

Since a few like to roam the area and one (Open link in new tab) Lives that way i need a recommendation.

I seem to be the sucker who organises meets on our LDV facebook page. 2nd one organised for Somerset this April but later in the year we will have another and i am thinking Galloway Forest Park or around would be great for the Jocks and English/Welsh coming up. I need a site what allows groups,dogs and little horrors kids. BBQ and raised fire pits. Must have loos with shower, cheap and having a pub close would be nice but not essential. Think we are talking about possibly 20 vans.

What you got? big_smile

#10 2020-01-13 22:09:41

Tiree
Administrator

Casper wrote:

Since a few like to roam the area and one (Open link in new tab) Lives that way i need a recommendation.

LOL angel

Well thing is I've only been down this way for three and a half years and most of my nights away in the van are in the forest or the towns.

However .. a couple of places spring to mind and should be worth a nosey - you'd need to check with them on numbers / rules.

https://www.lochkenholidaypark.co.uk/ [right click & Open In New Tab!]

Loch Ken Holiday Park is just down the road from where I live. I've stayed there in a static when the family came to visit and it's really good. There's a big field for camping / vans and the facilities are decent.

Best of all it's all on the shores of Loch Ken which is pretty spectacular.

Nearest pub is about 4 miles along the A713.

https://www.glentroolcampingandcaravansite.co.uk/

Not stayed at this one and know less about the place - but it's right on the edge of Glentrool / Loch Trool which is a stunning spot.

Hotel / Pub is apparently 8 mins walk away: https://www.houseohill.co.uk/

Will shout if I think of anything else - other folks might have some ideas too I guess.

T

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#11 2020-01-13 23:41:21

Casper

Ha. Your 2nd link i was looking just as a left here and thought that would do. First looks a bit posh for us but Glentrool is shut just now but i will fire away an email asking about group meets as not everyone is into that due to folk sitting up late playing a bit music round the fire. The pub i think that is the one that has free hookup if you use the bar/restaurant. I did think bout that for the venue but that would be limited with no fire being a car park and they might live there also but aye. Its a start. When we do get sorted ill give you a shout and come along for a beer

#12 2020-01-14 01:21:11

vaz2121

Just up the road a bit from Tiree's Loch ken suggestion is The Kenbridge Hotel it was venue IIRC fairly recently for an Adventure bike weekend camp/meet up and ride out..........
I'm fairly sure they have a field pretty much next to the pub/hotel...........
Where the bikes/tents were............
No idea of website /email ETC but I'm sure it shouldn't be hard to track down a contact..........

#13 2020-01-14 01:44:41

Casper

vaz2121 wrote:

Just up the road a bit from Tiree's Loch ken suggestion is The Kenbridge Hotel it was venue IIRC fairly recently for an Adventure bike weekend camp/meet up and ride out..........
I'm fairly sure they have a field pretty much next to the pub/hotel...........
Where the bikes/tents were............
No idea of website /email ETC but I'm sure it shouldn't be hard to track down a contact..........

No power, raised fires or dogs what is a shame at £13 a night big_smile Looks good if anyone else is thinking of the area

http://www.kenbridgehotel.co.uk/

There is a small GPz750Turbo forum i was in Vas and someone mentioned a place down that area for a bike meet what was in the woods. Had lots of cleared area for camping and round areas with log seating and a fire pit in the middle. I have been back on the forum and cant find the post but that would be great. More so if you have the place to yourself as the gennys can come out for more power.

You doing spain this year? Looking to take the Convoy to Slovenia and Croatia for a few days in September. Do a bit of Germany and Italy on the way down and up.

#14 2020-01-14 04:54:52

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

Had lots of cleared area for camping and round areas with log seating and a fire pit in the middle. I have been back on the forum and cant find the post but that would be great. More so if you have the place to yourself as the gennys can come out for more power.

You doing spain this year? Looking to take the Convoy to Slovenia and Croatia for a few days in September. Do a bit of Germany and Italy on the way down and up.

That could be Ae forest it's got lots of open space a teepee thing and log bench table seating but also sounds wrong for there.........
Maybe this is a question for "Tiree"........
Could that be up the Raiders road say near the otter pool?

Up next to Mabie house hotel ........... Mabie Forest main carpark which is terraced has individual parking bays and brick built Bbq things  don't know about any fire pit  ..........
It's been about 5 yrs since I was up around the hotel and there ...........
It has plenty walks a sawmill display and lots of adventure type stuff  for kids or kid like- zip wire, climbing nets, log house ETC inc swings and sand pit right near by.......

I'd say any facility down this way that would invovle "The woods" has got some conection to the Forestry commission in this area including driving The Raiders road.........

Funny you should ask about Spain.........
We had just been dicussing that very subject.....
What with us missing out on better part of 18 months of using the Van like it was meant to .........
With my partner going through 6 months of treatment then assosisted follow up tests for a couple months after and then when geared up and dates sorted for travel etc ......
We were asked to hold fire as her step mother was none to well..........

Sadly about 6 weeks after that we lost her step mum and that kiboshed that..........
So in that time we've had a few days but 1 week away in van..........

It would be about either May or Septemberish for us ... we're in process of sounding out travel plans possably for then or do we go on some other trip
So things still pie in the sky but I'm determind to do/go somewhere

#15 2020-01-15 11:38:07

Tiree
Administrator

vaz2121 wrote:

That was my first thought too Vaz - not sure there's a designated fire pit as such but it has picnic benches and brick barbecues kicking about. To memory the signs around the place ask you to be careful with fire, rather than not having fires at all.

There's a toilet block too I think - not sure of opening hours.

Beautiful spot - you might take up half the car park with 20 vans, which might get you a bit of attention .. not sure!

Maps

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#16 2020-01-16 01:15:56

vaz2121

Tiree wrote:
vaz2121 wrote:

That was my first thought too Vaz - not sure there's a designated fire pit as such but it has picnic benches and brick barbecues kicking about. To memory the signs around the place ask you to be careful with fire, rather than not having fires at all.

There's a toilet block too I think - not sure of opening hours.

Beautiful spot - you might take up half the car park with 20 vans, which might get you a bit of attention .. not sure!

Maps

It's been a while..........

A couple.... but your right 20 vans rocked up on the Raiders road for the w/end  won't go un-noticed and if anything like Mabie there will be a parking charge machine somewhere......... I do remember The Raiders Road being used in an episode of "Scrap heap challenge"............ And lots of Stage rallies (Paid obviously) Used the roads ..... The Scottish, Solway Coast, Roger Albert Clark etc ...........

"Casper" Don't know which office .......
Maybe a quick call to the forestry commission might steer you into right area and charge now dout or tell you to F*** off ............
Everthing is worth a try inc over by Samyeling way or kielder> .... it's just over border and It might be classed as a dark park area ......

#17 2020-01-16 15:23:20

OAT

Don't think Kielder would work.  Since they introduced permits for vans the rangers are keener doing the rounds.  Apparently you now even need to book for a free backpacking pitch.

#18 2020-01-17 01:05:28

vaz2121

OAT wrote:

Don't think Kielder would work.  Since they introduced permits for vans the rangers are keener doing the rounds.  Apparently you now even need to book for a free backpacking pitch.

(Casper)

Scrap the Kielder idea looks like it's went same way as Loch Lomand...............

(Suggestion)

This may be much further North than you antisipated .................Applecross............

If you go all the way over the "Pass of the Cattle" into Applecross its self and turn right at the T- junction (Only one) and basicly head back out village within a Mile there's a large Grassy area right next to Beach ..............

No power I'm afraid but Fire Pit on Beach ......... Pub in village........ far enough  out kids, dogs and grown ups can play on beach ..have a party.......

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.44103 … 6656?hl=en

As a young Lad used to go down onto Croy shore ...Near the electric brae south of Ayr (A719?) or Culzean beach Away at far end of Maidens village for a beach party but don't know if your allowed or have vehicle access any more

#19 2020-01-17 21:21:36

Casper

Cheers guys but it looks like wild camping is out. Ill the whining started about folk with no loo yet these are the people who follow the wild festival group. That is a hit or a miss if they have loos. Anyway. Hunt is on for a site and we got a knock back from Glentrool. Not that they dont do groups just not at the high season. FWIW i mailed the Borders council and they allow wild camping so if you find yourself around St Marys Lock or the area you can camp. Raised fires is also allowed but just be careful and clean as you go.

#20 2020-01-18 05:50:44

OAT

I'm surprised that Borders Council say ok to wild camping.   Did they say in general or just mention St Mary's Lock?

Is Tibbie Shiels open do you know?  It's been a bit hit and miss for the past few years but they could easily take 20 vans.

Last edited by OAT (2020-01-18 05:52:35)

#21 2020-01-18 12:15:42

Casper

I spoke to the council direct and in general was asking about the Loch more so along at the Glen cafe as i have seen overnights before when passing. You have the front and large side areas and to the left of the cafe is what looked like a toilet block. Unfortunately i never kept the e mail but i got the impression they were talking borders area in his answer. Only warning i got was they were having bother with boy racers in the area around the cafe and started to deploy rangers for this purpose so Waring us there could be noise. Might be better asking the ranger for clarification

https://www.scotborders.gov.uk/forms/fo … ide_ranger

#22 2020-01-18 13:17:20

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

I spoke to the council direct and in general was asking about the Loch more so along at the Glen cafe as i have seen overnights before when passing. You have the front and large side areas and to the left of the cafe is what looked like a toilet block. Unfortunately i never kept the e mail but i got the impression they were talking borders area in his answer. Only warning i got was they were having bother with boy racers in the area around the cafe and started to deploy rangers for this purpose so Waring us there could be noise. Might be better asking the ranger for clarification

https://www.scotborders.gov.uk/forms/fo … ide_ranger

Your right there is a toilet block there next to cafe little else and I too have seen a van or two parked up opposite the Glen cafe and I think there's a kind of "overspill"? area next but on Selkirk side of Cafe.........

That road is not especially busy But not quiet either if your Talking Summer at weekend I've seen it overflowing with bikes and cars even if Cafe wasn't particularly full ...........
That road out of Moffat - Selkirk Has had a Speeding "Problem" for quite a whle.........

I've Done the Moffat 3 Lochs Route (Moffat - Tweedsmuir - Talla & Megget Resevoir to St Mary's Loch - Moffat) quite a few times on bike and I've always Seen or been very aware of the Traffic cars on that section back into Moffat especially in the season and W/ends obviously.............

Not looking to dampen your intentions but be Aware.............

#23 2020-01-18 21:57:12

Casper

Did the road may a time myself on bike and car. This was my typical Sunday afternoon out only stopping at the Sun Inn at Newtongrange for a Pint and bite to eat on route home. Did that also in my 125 days big_smile

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Edinb … !3e0?hl=en

Aye that last section you are on about heading back to Moffat you forget i am in a convoy and the chance of speeding and keeping your crockery on that road is pretty slim big_smile My just end up heading south and doing the lakes or back to the Peak District.

#24 2020-01-18 22:46:24

OAT

Camping was allowed near the cafe, then the signs went up and they clamped down.  Sounds like they relaxed it again.  Definately be very busy during the day in summer though. 

I was thinking more of Tibbie Shiels Inn over the bridge near the Glen Cafe.  Last I heard (May 2018) the pub was closed but they were still running the campsite.  Ideal for a meetup if they are still open.  Wild camping feel on lockside but facilities on hand.  Fires ok too.  Might be worth a phone call?

Also, anyone doing the desolate reservoir road, there's a good stop at Megget Dam, at the St Marys Lock end of the reservoir.  No good for Caspers convoy though.

Last edited by OAT (2020-01-18 22:46:53)

#25 2020-01-19 13:41:45

Tiree
Administrator

Casper wrote:

When we do get sorted ill give you a shout and come along for a beer

Aye! Keep me posted.

DSC_0360-1.jpg

Board footer