The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-26 15:02:39

Perfectionist
Member
Registered: 2018-06-26
Posts: 13

54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

Hello everybody, I’ve recently purchased a dispatch which isn’t being nice to me  neutral
Basically drove fine and cluster was fine on the 40 miles trip home.
But after taking the seats out to wash and giving the interior a good clean, it failed to start for several hours while I did the usual of priming the pump, making sure enough fuel in tank, even sprayed brake cleaner into the intake but nothing worked.
But as I was putting the tools away I gave it one last shot and it fired straight up and idled/drove fine.
Parked it around the front of my house and when I went back to start it after an hour or so, it didn’t start again.
Came back at midnight after work, and it’s been firing straight up since.
But the clocks/cluster is showing no readings (temp, fuel, time, speed).

Can anyone help? Or know of any common issues with these vans that could cause the above symptoms?

Thanks

Nas  cool

Last edited by Perfectionist (2018-08-29 00:03:58)

Offline

#2 2018-06-26 16:04:56

tee_cee
Member
Registered: 2016-03-18
Posts: 265

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

re the staring issue , do a search on the forum for Stop Solenoid

Online

#3 2018-06-26 16:53:25

Perfectionist
Member
Registered: 2018-06-26
Posts: 13

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

tee_cee wrote:

re the staring issue , do a search on the forum for Stop Solenoid

Thanks, I’ll give it a bash next time it doesn’t start.

I wonder if the cluster playing up  is just a coincidence  neutral

Offline

#4 2018-06-26 16:58:56

Casper
Member
From: East Lothian
Registered: 2015-12-20
Posts: 1,486

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

When you failed to start was this also no starter turning or turning over but just not firing? If nothing is happening i blame a poor earth. Take battery earth off and clean up both ends and get under the van as you should have a 2nd one. Passably gearbox to chassis.

Offline

#5 2018-06-26 17:16:53

Perfectionist
Member
Registered: 2018-06-26
Posts: 13

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

Casper wrote:

When you failed to start was this also no starter turning or turning over but just not firing? If nothing is happening i blame a poor earth. Take battery earth off and clean up both ends and get under the van as you should have a 2nd one. Passably gearbox to chassis.


Was turning over fine, just seemed as though no fuel getting past injectors.

I’ll check earths Just in case, thanks.

Offline

#6 2018-06-27 11:17:22

vaz2121
Member
From: SW. Scotland
Registered: 2015-08-31
Posts: 793

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

Perfectionist wrote:
Casper wrote:

When you failed to start was this also no starter turning or turning over but just not firing? If nothing is happening i blame a poor earth. Take battery earth off and clean up both ends and get under the van as you should have a 2nd one. Passably gearbox to chassis.


Was turning over fine, just seemed as though no fuel getting past injectors.

I’ll check earths Just in case, thanks.

I'll agree with Tee-Cee on stop solenoid .... It'll turn over all day or until battery is flat if solenoid is sticky ............ try energising the starter a couple times when it does it again ....... It'll probly fire up on second atempt if it's not fully opened first time.......... It'll want changing  obviously this tact may just get you out a hole.................

Offline

#7 2018-06-27 15:25:09

Perfectionist
Member
Registered: 2018-06-26
Posts: 13

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

vaz2121 wrote:
Perfectionist wrote:
Casper wrote:

When you failed to start was this also no starter turning or turning over but just not firing? If nothing is happening i blame a poor earth. Take battery earth off and clean up both ends and get under the van as you should have a 2nd one. Passably gearbox to chassis.


Was turning over fine, just seemed as though no fuel getting past injectors.

I’ll check earths Just in case, thanks.

I'll agree with Tee-Cee on stop solenoid .... It'll turn over all day or until battery is flat if solenoid is sticky ............ try energising the starter a couple times when it does it again ....... It'll probly fire up on second atempt if it's not fully opened first time.......... It'll want changing  obviously this tact may just get you out a hole.................


Thanks guys, it tried not starting this morning but a couple of on-offs of ignition and it started up  smile
I’ll have to cut/break off the armour plate when I get time.

What about the clocks/cluster?
Is there anyone who tests and repairs them?

Thanks  cool

Offline

#8 2018-06-27 19:11:07

tee_cee
Member
Registered: 2016-03-18
Posts: 265

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

When I had the same problem with the solenoid, a couple of tanks with injector cleaner sorted it out.

Online

#9 2018-06-27 19:12:51

Perfectionist
Member
Registered: 2018-06-26
Posts: 13

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

Oh well, it’s not starting at the moment  sad
As soon as it does, it’s going straight into the garage for surgery  wink

Offline

#10 2018-06-27 23:12:22

Perfectionist
Member
Registered: 2018-06-26
Posts: 13

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

Right it started so it’s in the garage.
One thing I did notice maybe a minute after switching it off, I heard the clicking of a relay on the drivers side in the engine bay.
Straight away I thought let’s see if it starts now and guess what? It didn’t start.
I know the glow plug relay is there but what’s the smaller relay below it? And is  the big flat thing fitted on the inner wing some kind of ecu?
It’s a 1.9d non turbo just to remind you.
Thanks.

Offline

#11 2018-06-28 01:09:12

vaz2121
Member
From: SW. Scotland
Registered: 2015-08-31
Posts: 793

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

Perfectionist wrote:

What about the clocks/cluster?
Is there anyone who tests and repairs them?

It's not unknown for these binnacles to have problems

I phoned this crew when I was having issues

http://www.akspeedo.com/

Had a bit of a chat with them and took their advice and managed to get a good used unit ................. Haven't as yet bothered to send it off for mileage correction or check over (Seems to operate OK) as van has done next to nothing since last (August) MOT as other things took priority ..........

Offline

#12 2018-06-28 09:47:15

Casper
Member
From: East Lothian
Registered: 2015-12-20
Posts: 1,486

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

I had a split in the fuel line what was taking in air causing all the starting problem you are having. Bloody split had to be just over the tank though. You also need to be air tight around the fuel filter or your fuel will end up returning to the tank through the feed pipe.

Offline

#13 2018-06-28 14:03:11

Perfectionist
Member
Registered: 2018-06-26
Posts: 13

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

Casper wrote:

I had a split in the fuel line what was taking in air causing all the starting problem you are having. Bloody split had to be just over the tank though. You also need to be air tight around the fuel filter or your fuel will end up returning to the tank through the feed pipe.


I’ve tried running it through a jerry can but still only started when it felt like it, but thanks for the suggestion.

My obd reader was showing a coolant temp reading even though the gauge isn’t, so maybe it’s the cluster not playing ball anymore.

On a positive note, I’ve managed to break off the armour plate and removed the stop solenoid, so hopefully get another one today and see what happens (fingers crossed).

I shall report back, thanks  cool

Offline

#14 2018-06-28 21:34:00

Perfectionist
Member
Registered: 2018-06-26
Posts: 13

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

Right it’s back together and starting ok, but the new solenoid has a leak at the top so fuel draining back into tank  roll

Was a bit of a mission getting the solenoid locally tried about 5 different shops.
I’m gonna have to find a better quality solenoid or I’ll just plug the hole and stall the engine from now on  big_smile

Right, next is speedo before I get done for speeding.

Thanks

Offline

#15 2018-07-04 08:01:15

Casper
Member
From: East Lothian
Registered: 2015-12-20
Posts: 1,486

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

Got an android phone with GPS? Say yes and use this till you get a new cluster

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … t&hl=en_GB

Offline

#16 2018-07-12 03:11:00

Perfectionist
Member
Registered: 2018-06-26
Posts: 13

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

Casper wrote:

Got an android phone with GPS? Say yes and use this till you get a new cluster

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … t&hl=en_GB

Thanks, I’m using a speedo app on my iPhone until I get it sorted  wink

I’ve tried a couple different clusters now but the problem is still there, so I know it’s not the cluster itself but another problem  neutral

Offline

#17 2018-08-29 00:02:22

Perfectionist
Member
Registered: 2018-06-26
Posts: 13

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

Right guys, it’s sorted  yikes
Basically a fuse was missing, it always has been missing so I don’t know how everything was working when I bought the van.

Cluster is working fine now (touch wood).

Thanks for your help  wink

Offline

#18 2020-01-19 11:45:14

Rabnudj
Member
Registered: 2019-05-04
Posts: 22

Re: 54 dispatch 1.9d now starting and cluster working :)

Wow- interesting read....

I thought the whole pump needed removing to change the solenoid. Mine is having cold starting issues (no fuel delivered) and highly suspect the stop solenoid is sticky in the cold.

Can you share in more details how you changed solenoid and how you broke armor

Pictures would be great

Offline

Board footer