The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-26 11:14:05

Numeric

Hi All,

A Newbie would like to ask some advise about a potential purchase a 2004 plate Citroen Dispatch Enterprise

I am looking to purchase the van from a work mate that I have know for a number of years. The van details and background is as follows :-

1. 2004 plate Citroen Dispatch Enterprise
2. 63000 Miles from new
3. Full service history.
4. 2 owners from new, the 2nd owner being my mate. The vehicle was owned from new by a retired business owner, who used it to potter about.
5. My mate had it to tow his scrambler bikes about for the last 6 x months, but has gone the "Motor Home Route".
6. He is offering it to me with 12 x Months MOT.
7. He has put new starter motor, battery and off side coil spring.
8. He has ran the van for the 6 x months of his ownership with no issues out side of the above.
9. The Vehicle is fully ply lined with a full ply bulkhead.
10. I am paying £900.00
11. The only existing fault is a digital Odometer reading that goes on and off, but stays on when hot.

My mate is straight as the day is long, but would like some help on what to look for in terms of historical issues with this make and model of van. I will be using the van as a run about.

Regards

Pete

#2 2020-01-26 17:01:01

OAT

Re: Newbie

I am not too up on current values but the service history and the fact that it has been used for 6 months by your mate suggests that it could be a good buy.  You might get one cheaper, but it would be more of a gamble as to history and condition.

If it hasn't been recently done, a timing belt and water pump change should be factored in.

Apart from minor niggles, like the binnicle,  locks, heater, random fault codes, etc, there don't seem to be any major common issues with these vans.  With a good service history and reletively light use, it should last you years.

#3 2020-01-26 19:15:46

steve the grease

Sounds like a bargain to me . The old boy will have run the vehicle through the business , but used it as if it was a private car, I bet the business was still going , run by his son or someone > Write van off against tax, costs virtually nothing to run if the business is large enough to hide another vehicle in.   Light use , its what you want.

On the old XUD it was cambelt at 72k miles, I see no reason why the DW8 ( same block, different bore and head) would be much different, so due on age NOW if not milage . Most people now do belt, waterpump and idlers all at the same time. At 16 years old , the belt is absolutely due to be changed , 5 or maybe ten years at the most, it may have been done.......

#4 2020-01-27 14:04:17

vaz2121

Sounds all good to me .... "For you and peice of mind" As OAT says {unless you know better} A Cam belt and water pump as a starting point...............
As for the Binicle They seem to be notoriously Garbage ..... I'm on my 3Rd or 4th Ive Fettled/fitted in about 6yrs on a 2005 van and is barely over 100,000mls in total now.........
If everything else works on binnicle try changeing bulbs and see if it been a bit of dampness causing that blue gunge and causing a poor contact......
Annoying ...But if all else works it's worth living with if you can.........

#5 2020-01-27 14:11:22

kenbw2

Sounds like a good deal to me. Last I checked, the Mk1 Dispatches were going for £800-2000 so I'd grab that one if it were offered to me.

Which engine is it?

- 1.9D DW8 - slow but very simple bulletproof engine
- 2.0 HDi - more oomph, better MPG, more engine electronics but still pretty good
- 1.6 HDi - a bit slow, iffy turbos, same enign electonics as the 2.0

Last edited by kenbw2 (2020-01-27 14:11:52)

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion + full time home
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#6 2020-01-27 20:58:04

Numeric

Hi All,

Done the deal and paid my mate. It's got the 1.9 DW8 engine.

Not particularly fast, but will do for a plodder like me.

A couple of questions :-

1. What should I expect to pay for a service. It was serviced July 2019, but would be interested to know.

2. What should I budget for a cam belt, water pump and tensioner change. I am OK with A series engines having pulled apart and rebuilt a number, but not to confident with a diesel engine.

3. I am looking for 2 x pieces of scuff trim, one for each wing. Funny every dispatch I have seen appears to have them missing. Is this a breakers yard job.
I

4. Any body got any advise on additional security. I am told that security on these vans is laughable.

Thanks every one for the replies so far.

Regards Pete

#7 2020-01-29 02:00:48

vaz2121

1.Unless you really want a stamp in your book servicing yourself is not that hard..........
Or as I do get parts and have garage use them (Garage owner is friend)...........+ about £25.00 and book stamped
I pay about £33.00 for 20Ltr of 10W/40 semi synth in 5Ltr tubs slightly less if in a single 20Ltr tub.........  try eB**
Oil filter, Air filter and fuel filter usually off carparts4less (look out for larger discount near end of month bank holidays ETC and obviously use at least there supplied  discount code or use Honey code finder etc) service parts just now about £ 12.00 with oil add about £16.00..........

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/

2.Try for a Gates cambelt kit .......... it's for many the Glold standard kit.............
But I've had No troubles so far touch wood with a Dayco kit  and sourced as above  at under£73.00 with water pump and about a tenner less on eBa* (But becareful how long it's been on shelf and what make with eB**) and probably about £100-- £130.00 to fit

3.your scuff trim would be a breakers probibly, eB** or 1st choce spares (Had decent results over years) ...........

https://www.1stchoice.co.uk/

4. Yes they can be easily gotten into by those in the know (But like every thing else "if they really want it")  Maybe fit additional van deadlocks

https://www.avrmobiles.co.uk/acatalog/s … IgQAvD_BwE

Board footer