The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-27 15:24:54

Tiree
Administrator

Knocking Under Acceleration

Alrighty all ..

During the last week or so I'm hearing a dull repeated knocking under acceleration .. it's noticeable in 3rd, 4th & 5th and especially when the engine is laboured.

I'm fairly sure the knock the is on front passenger side and occurs once per wheel revolution.

I've checked that the wheel nuts are correctly tightened.

Is this a CV joint issue? CV joint issues I've experienced in the past sounded similar but seemed to be apparent only when the car was turning. This knocking happens in a straight line.

Any thoughts?

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#2 2020-01-27 17:17:06

vaz2121

Re: Knocking Under Acceleration

Tiree wrote:

Alrighty all ..

During the last week or so I'm hearing a dull repeated knocking under acceleration .. it's noticeable in 3rd, 4th & 5th and especially when the engine is laboured.

I'm fairly sure the knock the is on front passenger side and occurs once per wheel revolution.

I've checked that the wheel nuts are correctly tightened.

Is this a CV joint issue? CV joint issues I've experienced in the past sounded similar but seemed to be apparent only when the car was turning. This knocking happens in a straight line.

Any thoughts?

That was my thought also .... Is it doing so (making noise when turning also) .........
I've had a CV joint fail on me in past where I just had no drive.........

I'd experianced that clicky CV ball noise on and off with it many times both straight and turning  It did many thousands of miles before giving up ghost and seemed to do it's Boot/cover in... on a regular basis ......
It just let go one day without any apparent warnings.......... But then I wasn't driving on said day it happened.........
And it's about 25 yrs ago too ...........

#3 2020-01-27 17:41:21

Tiree
Administrator

Hey Vaz - ta for reply ..

There's nothing apparent when turning at low speed but it'll continue to make the noise under acceleration if I'm on a bend - but again that's usually upwards of 30mph.

I had car about 30 years ago that made a ropey CV joint noise for about 5 years. The car died before the CV joint did.

However, the fact that this is happening at higher speed and I can feel vibration from it - and it's come on quite suddenly - has got me a bit nervy .. so I think it's going to the garage to get looked at ...

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#4 2020-01-28 10:50:14

scotchjoe

Possible inner CV joint at gearbox.

#5 2020-01-28 11:51:14

Tiree
Administrator

scotchjoe wrote:

Possible inner CV joint at gearbox.

That sounds like a possibility Joe.

Is that a case of replacing the whole drive shaft?

If so - anyone any idea what kind of pain I'm going to feel when the garage price this up?

Parts look reasonable - but how big a job?

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#6 2020-01-28 13:46:06

scotchjoe

The inboard CV joints are fitted to the half shaft in the same manner as the outside CV's.Draining the gearbox is usually needed to remove the joint,otherwise it's fairly straight forward.Hope it's nothing major anyway.

Last edited by scotchjoe (2020-01-28 14:01:18)

#7 2020-01-28 15:11:20

Tiree
Administrator

scotchjoe wrote:

The inboard CV joints are fitted to the half shaft in the same manner as the outside CV's.Draining the gearbox is usually needed to remove the joint,otherwise it's fairly straight forward.Hope it's nothing major anyway.

Thanks again Joe - whatever it is it's deteriorating fast.

Just went to the shops and it's now much more audible, more vibration and happening at slower speeds.

Even at 2mph while parking I can now hear almost a mild grinding noise as the wheel turns.

Just over a week ago everything seemed fine.

Booked into the garage on Monday but think I might need to stop using the van in the meantime ...

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#8 2020-01-29 00:43:20

vaz2121

I'll go with Scotchjoe and it could well be an inner CV as they do much the same job as an outer but only half the movement say...............
Eventually it will sucum .... Much same vulnerability as outers under circumstance............

your right "it's deteriorating fast" obviously with use ..........
Is there any signs of oil {telltails} or such on floor or anything..........

Yes it may be an idea to stop using or mega curtail use as you've still to get it to garage ...............

Before it sits down

#9 2020-01-29 01:29:17

Casper

More chance of inner than outer CV But any vibs up the wheel? Drife shaft balance weight came loose, Bush, roll bar or even wishbone starting to go. Burst spring even or the bearing up top of spring. Any of the bolts up there loose? Done work on brakes recently? caliper bolts. Disk dust cover any vibs up peddle when breaking? basically it can be a lot of things so get under for a good look and wiggle preferably with that corner lifted rather than taking a 2nd guess from some bloke on the internet.

#10 2020-01-29 02:07:13

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

get under for a good look and wiggle preferably with that corner lifted rather than taking a 2nd guess from some bloke on the internet.

Well Said That Man

#11 2020-01-29 09:27:28

scotchjoe

Yes its all keyboard guesswork,probably not helpful at all.
Only way to find out whats wrong is to actually look at the van.Now that the symptoms are so bad that you are reluctant to drive the van will work in your favour,making it easier to find by rotating the wheels.

#12 2020-01-29 11:03:09

Tiree
Administrator

Casper wrote:

get under for a good look and wiggle preferably with that corner lifted rather than taking a 2nd guess from some bloke on the internet.

Well fair enough - but as you've probably sussed by now I'm not that mechanically minded - and it's been feckin freezin out there recently!

I did have the wheel off at one point to have a nosey but only had a minimal poke about. I really have very little understanding of what's going on behind a wheel.

It's booked in at the garage so really I just wanted to know if the symptoms rang a bell with anyone so I might have a better idea what to expect.

Maybe I'll take another look ..

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#13 2020-01-29 12:15:57

scotchjoe

Hello Tiree,if you are considering having another look please don't go underneath a jacked up car and start wigging and poking.If you have no axle stands just wait until it goes into the garage.I feel we are pushing you out of your comfort zone,stay in it.
The front drive and suspension components are all relatively cheap to buy,so no need to sell one of your kidneys.

#14 2020-01-29 12:53:10

Casper

Tiree wrote:

Well fair enough - but as you've probably sussed by now I'm not that mechanically minded - and it's been feckin freezin out there recently!

Tell me about it. Got a few job on the convoy to do what will wait for another month big_smile rear wheel arches to rebuild also what im just paying a mate to do as i hate that job unless its the middle of summer.

If you do go back out also check the bearing. Grab the wheel top and bottom and push in with one hand while pulling out with the other. Do it hard a few time to feel for movement. Also pull the whole wheel out and watch for any movement in the strut.

#15 2020-01-31 11:54:16

Tiree
Administrator

Cheers guys - it's literally not stopped raining for days here and I've got access to another vehicle so I'm just leaving it be!

Might try the bearing check Casper at some point but otherwise will just limp it into the garage on Monday and see what they have to say  ...

Not sure how much my kidneys would be worth but glad to hear I should get to keep them big_smile

Thanks again

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#16 2020-01-31 13:09:15

scotchjoe

tongue

#17 2020-01-31 15:00:17

OAT

Tiree wrote:

Not sure how much my kidneys would be worth but glad to hear I should get to keep them big_smile

Unfortunately, I suspect Scottish kidneys may not be in great demand.   wink

#18 2020-01-31 18:39:45

scotchjoe

They are in more demand than Scottish livers.

#19 2020-01-31 18:51:27

Casper

OAT wrote:

Unfortunately, I suspect Scottish kidneys may not be in great demand.   wink

scotchjoe wrote:

They are in more demand than Scottish livers.

hmm

#20 2020-02-03 22:42:34

Tiree
Administrator

Well I'm returning to this thread feeling a wee bit sheepish - but there are lessons here so it's good to share!

Got the van back from the garage today - the wheel was loose.

neutral

It was the first thing I thought of [see my original post] and I not only checked the wheel nuts but had the wheel off, and then back on making sure the nuts were solid.

Symptoms persisted so thought I'd ruled that out.

The wheel hadn't been off the van since it was at the garage for MOT work in Nov. Somewhere along the line [seemingly] it's taken enough of a beating to get loose and enough crap has got in between the wheel and the hub to mean that even when I've tightened it all up again - the wheel's not sitting properly up against the hub - and so works its way loose again.

The wheel's been cleaned up and all's fine.

Tempting to wonder if they didn't tighten things properly back in November but I'd be very surprised if that's the case. They use impact guns and I've seen them double-checking these things.

I've done 3000 miles since then.

So a bit perplexing as to what's actually happened. Maybe there was some crap between the wheel & hub when they put it back together in November - but there were no symptoms of that until a couple of weeks back.

Ultimately it took someone who knew what they were doing to be able to see movement in the wheel. I failed to spot this.

I reckon the real giveaway here was how suddenly the noise appeared and how quickly it got worse. I doubt a CV joint would deteriorate that fast.

Kind of wish that I'd been able to suss this myself - but glad I parked the van up for the last week and didn't use it.

Anyway - kidneys intact! Onwards ....... big_smile

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#21 2020-02-03 23:43:37

OAT

devil

At least it was a cheap fix.

#22 2020-02-04 00:50:34

Casper

Last year for the wifes car i bought tyres from black circles and get the local garage to do the job. Collected the car a and decided to do a wee job for a friend in the next town. Half way there the car started to knock and slowly get worse. Got to friends and started to wobble wheels but no movement. Did the wee job for a friend and started to drive home. Knocking turned to wobble up the steering then quickly car was vibrating where the rear view was a blur. Got home to check wheels again only to notice a very loose wheel. Went back to garage to Kick up F*** but they were all gone for the night apart from the two girls behind the desk. Told them i was pissed off and angry as i had been on 60mph roads. "Ill tell the boss" they said. Did i hear back from them, did i hell. Never been back since. Turns out your tyre work is done by an apprentice and there is no one around to check there work if the garage is busy.

Christ i have used quick fit back in the 80's and never had this kind of issue

#23 2020-02-04 01:57:15

vaz2121

Tiree wrote:

Well I'm returning to this thread feeling a wee bit sheepish - but there are lessons here so it's good to share!

the wheel was loose.

neutral

big_smile

All's well again ? ....  Don't feel Sheepish....(Maybe easier said than done)....... It happens to the best of us.....

I remember after reversing into the yard of a waste paper place  and as I walked down the side of my trailer to open curtains I was kicking wheel nuts out the way and muttering something about  Idiots and imbeciles to then realise they were off my trailer..............

One thing:- I'm not sure if it applies to our style of wheel fitment....Probably...........(The open end tapered variety).........

But certainly on spigot wheel nut fitment.........

Definitely not advisable to paint the wheels especially with the likes of Hammerite type paint where the wheel nuts grip as it's(Hammerite) just thick enough to crack and fall out with wheel rotation/vibration and the nut becomes loose and you loose a set of wheels ..............

This was a problem for many years and many wheels were lost for No apparent reason at the time ............

I lost a set of drive wheels once I believe because of this very reason .......... Luckly they never hit anyone (Very dangerous and Messy) And they went on forever more  across the railway line and field next to M6 just South of Tebay Never to be seen again.......... (By us)

{Very expensive repair}........... Also I've had instance where a Set of wheels (Spigot wheels and nuts) have been run slack and need tightening every 150....200mls as they forever slacken until new wheels and studs or a whole hub as well has been replaced..............

It's one of those things I'll preach about checking are OK along with brakes and not to be blasé about
{Even if I've pulled some stunts to keep mobile in the aftermath}
prevention is far better and safer (For you) than cure

(I had a Driver in a 3 week old Tractor unit Fresh out paint shop that morning .....{Cut a long story short}  who lost a set of tailer wheels that over took him ........... One wheel hit a Lamp post and rebound into front of Tractor Unit)

#24 2020-02-04 09:42:59

scotchjoe

Good to hear the van's sorted and your decision not to drive it was a good call.The only way to know whats wrong is to look at the van.Nothing can be ruled out until then.
Not all CV joints click away merrily for many years.They can deteriorate fast.Nothing should be ignored or assumed.

#25 2020-02-04 17:59:37

OAT

I once lost a wheel from a Renault 5 at about 45mph.  As Vaz said they do go.  The car stopped quite quickly as the disk ploughed into the road but there was no sign of the wheel.  It had gone about 25yds down the pavement and punched through some brand new woven lap fencing.

The car only needed a steering rack but repairing the fence was the most expensive.

Thanks for the tip about painting vaz, I am just considering doing mine.

Board footer