The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-02 17:01:04

steve the grease

Bed width question.

Planning a mark one camper conversion, but I'm very much aware that space is at a premium, especially width. Every inch of extra kitchen width is an inch off the bed width. So I'm looking for opinions on what is the minimum width for a 2 person sleeping space , I know it doesn't have to be as wide as a normal bed as you are not going to fall off, but it looks to me that to be reasonably comfy, you will end up with a very narrow kitchen.  Other peoples opinions very valuable here, I only want to build it once! Thanks.

#2 2020-02-02 17:40:45

OAT

Re: Bed width question.

Never built one in an expert myself but I tend to agree, an acceptable double bed size doesn't leave enough cupboard space.  Whichever way you go, it will be a constant irritation.

What type of bed are you planning?

#3 2020-02-02 22:12:09

dRoyd

Not sure who it was on here that posted this link to somebody doing a camper conversion.
http://blue-van.blogspot.com/p/bed-frame.html
I saved the link as it’s quite an interesting read. As you say, not much room to play with!

#4 2020-02-02 23:12:41

kenbw2
Administrator

For what it's worth, the distance between the wheel arches is 120cm which is exactly the same as a "small double" mattress size. Doable if you're happy to be very cosy with each other.

If you could have it above the wheel arches it would be better.

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#5 2020-02-03 01:00:46

tee_cee

That was my conversion above. The width of our bed is 104cm. This was the max I could get and still fit the compressor fridge in. I also decided to put the bed on the drivers side to make use of the extra few cm gap behind the door pillar thats taken up by the fuel tank filler on the other side
Im 5ft10 and 75kg on a good day and toh is 5ft1 and 55kg and we find the size no problem at all.

Last edited by tee_cee (2020-02-03 01:01:44)

#6 2020-02-03 02:32:03

vaz2121

steve the grease wrote:

Planning a mark one camper conversion, but I'm very much aware that space is at a premium, especially width. Every inch of extra kitchen width is an inch off the bed width. So I'm looking for opinions on what is the minimum width for a 2 person sleeping space , I know it doesn't have to be as wide as a normal bed as you are not going to fall off, but it looks to me that to be reasonably comfy, you will end up with a very narrow kitchen.  Other peoples opinions very valuable here, I only want to build it once! Thanks.

Bought our van already converted (Handy)............

My first thought was Beggars can't be choosers.............
And that the bed was a stupid Layout ............

In use it's been much better than first thought.......... I have on occasion had the corner of the sink unit up my A***
But it's all to do with how your lying..............

If the truth be told I'd like it a little wider as I'm .... Maybe We are not the slimest in the world .............. (it's time I took cover!)

But as compromises go I sleep far better in van than probably at home  ............

dispatch-2_Snapseed.jpg

I'm going to say narrow part will be in tee-cee's region Don't have any measurements (Sorry)

DSC_2889.jpeg

This will give you an idea of daytime set up

DSC_2890.jpeg

And how bed forms

DSC_2891.jpeg

We used two Quilts one below and one a top .............
We've since put a memorey foam topper in a quilt cover ..............
Either works well for us.............

{Quilt covers for ease of removal and washing}

Make sure you check out tee-cee's origonal build............
Don't forget Caspers origonal tin tent {that was just what we were looking for when we got van The benifits of "A Tin Tent"}

Last edited by vaz2121 (2020-02-03 02:33:27)

#7 2020-02-19 02:19:40

steve the grease

Thanks everyone....

#8 2020-02-19 08:33:42

Casper

Put the kitchen in the slight recess of the sliding door. Sleep with head at back doors and you can make the feet in thinner. Measure yourself between the shoulders and your partner and that is your bed width. Most nights folk sleep on there sides anyway.

I made this

https://mytintent.blogspot.com/p/page-six.html

Page 4 is the stolen idea of the frame. 5 shown the bed down and a small video on 6. Never bothered going posh as i cooked in the awning.

Board footer