The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-23 14:24:13

Shakes

Possible loose front subframe??????

Still getting the occasional loud 'crack' noise from Brenda's front end, when manoeuvring at low speed, especially when backing into a parking space. This is despite a full front end rebuild, complete new front legs, top shock mounts, track rod ends, drop links and a thorough check of the steering rack.

Tracking was also done last week. Was perfect at first, now I can feel there is something loose. No vibration through the steering wheel, but you can see a vibration in the dashboard.

Wondering if this could be a loose subframe ? The frame was removed a few years ago to enable a flywheel replacement. The mechanic who did the work is now retired and unavailable, but I know two things. Firstly, he reattached the subframe  with the original bolts. Second, he mentioned that the back end was welded on.

How easy is it to check the subframe bolts on the van?

#2 2020-02-24 06:19:12

vaz2121

Re: Possible loose front subframe??????

Shakes wrote:

Still getting the occasional loud 'crack' noise from Brenda's front end, when manoeuvring at low speed, especially when backing into a parking space. This is despite a full front end rebuild, complete new front legs, top shock mounts, track rod ends, drop links and a thorough check of the steering rack.

Tracking was also done last week. Was perfect at first, now I can feel there is something loose. No vibration through the steering wheel, but you can see a vibration in the dashboard.

Wondering if this could be a loose subframe ? The frame was removed a few years ago to enable a flywheel replacement. The mechanic who did the work is now retired and unavailable, but I know two things. Firstly, he reattached the subframe  with the original bolts. Second, he mentioned that the back end was welded on.

How easy is it to check the subframe bolts on the van?

It doesn't sound clever/right that subframe was once welded to van.........
Being the removal requirement  I.E. for clutch change ETC ........

They are well known and are at an age getting that bolt and or captive nut within chassis rails break on removal attempts...........

I'd assume your going for a visual inspection as well as a big bar and socket on fitting bolts..........
(Decripting your comment that it's a flexing loose rather than one thing fell off and now has gone loose)

Personally I'd say it would have to be several or all slack bolts (mouting points) rather than just one or even possibly a fracture to/on subframe.......
To get this crack noise as you call it  on a slowish manoeuvre..........

The Subframe bolts (IIRC) are 2 in front  and 4 at rear of Subframe and have fairly easy access to .......(one or two at each side)

If you can gain access to Citroen service box (Or photos of..on eBa*) there are images of whats fitted to your van but is refered to there (Servicebox) as a cradle ..............

I'd also take it from your descripton that there's no delay or lots of steering input to maitain vehicles route/Status Quo or suggest loose rack mountings?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have just gone over your description again and wonder ........
Was the now retired Mechanic saying he'd Welded the rear of the subframe to the van and that's what's broken loose..............
{My apologies if I've taken this phrase incorrectly}

Last edited by vaz2121 (2020-02-24 06:29:09)

#3 2020-02-27 22:35:13

Shakes

Thanks for the reply Vaz. Hoping to get some pit time with my mechanic friend next week. We'll carry out a thorough check of the subframe and hopefully the rack if we can get to it.

The van steers very well with no corrective input needed when in a straight line. Hoping a couple of new tyres will improve things further. I had the tracking done two weeks ago; thing is, it felt spot on at first but following a recurrence of the low-speed 'crack', a very tiny vibration and an extremely slight pull to the left became evident. Nothing that a reasonable person would necessarily notice, but I'm hypervigilant with Brenda and I would probably feel it (and start worrying) if I ran over a gnat.

This is virtually a new van now, with two and a half grand spent. I hadn't realised how well they go round corners on fresh shocks and springs...

But tis best to be sure...so off to the garage we go again

#4 2020-02-27 22:46:27

Shakes

Regarding the weld, from what I remember, the old chap who did the solid flywheel conversion  (about 5 years ago) said at the time that he had a nightmare lowering the subframe after coming across the welded part. The job took two days, he only charged me £120 but told me he never wanted to see my van again neutral .

I can only assume that he reattached it using the right bolts...it's been through four or five MOTs and not been picked up. This is one of the areas we'll check but never had any problems with it up till now.

Board footer