The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-05 21:52:52

davidw6092

Alternator sometimes not charging

Hi,can I access your collective minds?52 plate scudo diesel.Starts and runs brilliantly.Alternator light is sometimes on,so not charging always.At the same time as the alternator light coming on the heater fan stops working.
I am guessing there is a relay in the circuits somewhere that is playing silly buggers,or else its a wiring fault.
Lights and wipers work as normal.
There has in the past been an issue with water coming in through the roof aerial,now fixed.
checked fuse boxes under dash and in the engine bay,both seem good.
it doesn't help that most of the important wireing seems to be all the same colour!
Is there an engine running relay somewhere?
Thanks for your help.

#2 2020-04-05 22:11:13

Casper

Re: Alternator sometimes not charging

Do a search mate for posts from Tiree. I remember his alternator having issues and im sure playing silly buggers with other electrical items. Turned out to be a broken wire if i remember correct.
Dono about an engine running relay but look in the download section as there is a owners handbook available for download and that lists all the fuses and relays what should save you scratching yer nut thinking "Whats this for "

#3 2020-04-07 21:41:35

davidw6092

Not having a lot of success with wiring diagrams,The index is a bit iffy,I am used to audi ones that seem better laid out.
Have been looking at double brown relay on nearside inner wing.I see it does the in tank primer pump,anyone any idea what the other side of the relay does?My other thought is main connection block between the main wiring loom and the instrument panel loom,I guess that is up behind the dash.

#4 2020-04-07 23:22:15

Casper

#5 2020-04-09 03:54:49

vaz2121

I remember that very thread Casper as my van did something the same Either just before or just after (did it couple times at night....never since) I've had one of those cheap china volt meters plugged into cig lighter power socket and constantly maintains 13.8v (Or so it tells me) ................

Anyway something I've noticed van doing that the 306 doesn't when starting is it stops the heater fan blower {Also read this somewhere as well} from working until it's fired up ............
(Unable to tell you about anything else)
Not very helpful I know but it may indicate it's actually operating correctly and that indeed you have a faulty Alternator ............??

#6 2020-04-09 08:35:03

Casper

I would have though 13.8v is low Vaz2121. My three vans are in the 14.4/5v region as is the wifes car.

#7 2020-04-10 15:29:28

vaz2121

Casper wrote:

I would have though 13.8v is low Vaz2121. My three vans are in the 14.4/5v region as is the wifes car.

I took on board what you said about being low but it's better than nothing as still maintained 13.8v even with lights, heater blower, ETC everthing I could think of........ON

Again : China The Curse of strikes back .........

1st I looked in cig lighter and is covered with crap even though we've never used it as a cig lighter.........
I moved volt meter to extra power sockets I'd enstalled both back an front to get a slightly higher and a lower reading..........

I then took it to the 306 and got the same ish (13.6v) ........

I'd bought two of these cheapo volt readers ............
But it's one wasn't plugged into 306 ..... (Been charging her phone)
(306 hasn't been used in about a month) ........

I eventualy found volt reader in 306 glove box and plugged it into one of the separate power sockets in van and Hey Presto 14.4v (14v on button in sh*** cig-lighter)
{wondering whether to buy another or not} (No point at moment)

#8 2020-04-10 16:27:48

Casper

I have these but without the USB slot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-in-1-12V-D … SwBUtcvuPn

I notice they do read almost a volt less at the fag lighter than sticking a meter over the battery. Bloody Convoy only reads 10.6v what when i fist seen a cacked it as it was a new 120 quid battery. The realy clocked off and it jumped to 12v big_smile

Board footer