The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-14 09:31:30

Tiree
Administrator

Post-Lockdown Freedom Trips

Hey folks,

I hope everyone's doing OK and staying safe & well.

Don't know about you but I keep finding myself thinking of getting on the move again.

Just wondered where you're all dreaming of!

I posted this plan in another thread at the tail end of last summer but haven't had a chance to put it into action yet - so this where I see myself heading when appropriate:

- Galloway to Ardrossan
- Ardrossan --> ferry to Brodick, Arran
- Tour Arran [night in Lamlash]
- Lochranza --> ferry to Claonaig on Kintyre
- Up through Kintyre [night in Tarbert or Tayvallich]
- Round Loch Fyne and down Cowal Peninsula
- Colintraive --> ferry to Rhubodach, Bute
- Tour Bute [night in Rothesay]
- Rothesay --> ferry to Wemyss Bay & home to Galloway

Subject to change  tongue

Nothing too crazy but packs a good amount into three nights I reckon

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#2 2020-04-14 19:04:36

Casper

Re: Post-Lockdown Freedom Trips

All trips cancelled even Croatia.  Sell convoy camper to use funds to build my Corona Bus camper. May get a long W/E away in it come September but this all depends on when the lockdown is lifted to allow folk to move and view my van and shops to open to allow me to buy wood.

#3 2020-04-14 19:05:53

Casper

Tiree wrote:

Hey folks,
Just wondered where you're all dreaming of?

White Christmas.

#4 2020-04-14 19:49:42

Tiree
Administrator

Casper wrote:

White Christmas.

Aye to be fair just a night down the pub would be good right now!

2006 Citroen Dispatch 2.0HDi bought in July 2013 - Partial camper conversion ........

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#5 2020-04-14 20:18:57

OAT

Hasn't entered my head.  It's impossible to have much of a clue as to what the transition to whatever the new "normality" might look like., but it won't be a straightforward "ok it's safe, you can go".  It's increasingly looking like an attempt is on the cards to sacrifice the vulnerable for the sake of the economy.  When they calculate that the nhs can cope with levels of new icu paitients, restrictions will be relaxed and it will be up to the vulnerable to fend for themselves and hope for the best.  I am currently in my 5th week of self isolation.  I can't see it ending in any meaningful way for me untill a vacine is available.

32 mile round trip for my first shop today in four weeks.  It's just a less mobile version of what I do all the time realy.  Never slept in one place for so long in over 20 years.  Quite happy to isolate for the duration "to protect the nhs and save lives", and quite happy to continue to do it afterwards to preserve my sanity.

I currently have St Mary's Loch and Loch of the Lowes virtualy to myself, except for a couple of shepherds.  The solitude, scenery and wildlife are incredible due to lockdown.  However, my enjoyment of it is severely tinged by the unimaginable pain and suffering so many are going through and the impact of being in lockdown in less pleasant situations that so many others are experiencing.

https://images.app.goo.gl/esYtV7vG5Mhf9niY9

Last edited by OAT (2020-04-14 20:19:30)

#6 2020-04-14 21:13:42

Shakes

If we survive Coronavirus, my wife and I are planning to drive up to Scotland in Brenda. Quite a trip from Devon...I used to do it regularly when I first had the van in 2011 on my epic courier trips.

Back then, I would do Devon to London, up through Yorkshire, on to Glasgow and Oban, then down to Merseyside followed by the Midlands and South Wales. Once I finished up in Cornwall after a week-long trip. That was when the van was younger and reliable...

To return to Scotland in the same vehicle years later will be an emotional moment. Eastern side of Scotland this time I think. European trips will follow if the van proves itself capable.

Best get on with fixing the steering rack first though.

#7 2020-04-14 21:25:08

Tiree
Administrator

OAT wrote:

Hasn't entered my head.  It's impossible to have much of a clue as to what the transition to whatever the new "normality" might look like.

I hope you didn't feel I was making light of the situation OAT - I'm lucky to be where I am but I'm far from immune to what's going on on both a personal level and with respect to those around me.

Like you, I have reservations about the way the government is approaching it and I don't for a moment think we'll all just be given a green light and told to go about our business anytime soon.

I just miss my trips away and look forward to doing it again.

Hope you stay safe and get more of what you enjoy - under better circumstances.

DSC_0360-1.jpg

#8 2020-04-14 22:11:04

OAT

Not at all Tiree.  Sorry if it sounded like I did. 

Just can't see past it all yet to even think what I might want to do myself.  But then again, I am not used to planning that far ahead anyway.  I did have Ireland in mind for the summer but that's out.  Europe too, and finding enough undisturbed seclusion in England gets tougher every year.
Looks like you may have to tolerate this sasenach a while longer.  smile

#9 2020-04-14 23:21:17

vaz2121

Tiree wrote:

Hey folks,

I hope everyone's doing OK and staying safe & well.

Don't know about you but I keep finding myself thinking of getting on the move again.

Just wondered where you're all dreaming of!

I posted this plan in another thread at the tail end of last summer but haven't had a chance to put it into action yet - so this where I see myself heading when appropriate:

- Galloway to Ardrossan
- Ardrossan --> ferry to Brodick, Arran
- Tour Arran [night in Lamlash]
- Lochranza --> ferry to Claonaig on Kintyre
- Up through Kintyre [night in Tarbert or Tayvallich]
- Round Loch Fyne and down Cowal Peninsula
- Colintraive --> ferry to Rhubodach, Bute
- Tour Bute [night in Rothesay]
- Rothesay --> ferry to Wemyss Bay & home to Galloway

Subject to change  tongue

Nothing too crazy but packs a good amount into three nights I reckon

Like you I have been dreaming of getting away...... But Covid-19 is I'd suppose only a part of it {Big Part}.....

I'm very lucky in the respect at my age I still have both parents and I think it's safe to say they have both (both in 90's) entered second childhood and Mother who you will have a perfectly lucid conversation with is Away with the fairies {In her mind still does many things and accoding to Father you'd be convinced he can do a four-minute mile}

And then We didn't get the best news after my Partners recent CT Scan...........
We have been itching over these Last weeks to get down to Spain {Human nature is go check out all is OK ...Where right now best option is stay away} to at least visit her dad.........

I don't fancy that first escape and running out after the OK Boy's N Girl's............
That's assuming there's going to be free cross-border movement allowed  hence forth...........

So... I think a Tiree style trip is in order .................
Scottish highlands is going to be a busy place even without advertising The NC500

I'd tend to agree with OAT and the economy saving type measures He describes..........
(I've family in the States And looking at the fatality percentage rate out there and I'd say that was down to the statements of one man)

I stated before some of the stupid things I'd heard .............
But I'm convinced that the kids (under 30's mostly) are just not taking this seriously and are still in holiday mode.............
A Statement I was given "how brilliant it is not being at work was"..........

I made the comment  "I was from 1979 never at home because I always had to be somewhere with that F***ing Truck
I always just wished I was at home (My kids were babies one day then 25yr old the next)............. Look at us all now ..... Be carefull what you wish for"

Yes sorry:~  We can dream but Anything Local ish and then Suck it and See as ambitions grow

#10 2020-04-17 22:27:33

vaz2121

I think Stir Craziness is setting in...........

I did my usual sort of plutter about today........
(Put some weedkiller down ...But I'm sure weeds think it's Baby Bio and thrive on it)

And while having a walk around the block (On my own) I suddenly had the greatest desire to be in the Costa Brava...........
Not that I felt that was particularly unusual ............

Once I eventually got out of bed and going it seemed OK ..........
But its been a sleepy NON day and Motivation is getting harder to find ..................

I'm only on day 22 I think ........... How many more weeks/Months have we to do?.....

#11 2020-04-18 11:29:38

Ricko

I'll do my usual trip to Dumfries and Galloway over a few days. Then I think the usual tour of North and Mid Wales.
Creature of habit me!
I will do a longer journey crossing to Dunoon, overnight by Loch Awe, on to Inveraray (love the bridge there), keep heading up to Ft William and beyond.
I must do the NW500 at some point...

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

#12 2020-04-18 11:35:14

Casper

vaz2121 wrote:

I think Stir Craziness is setting in...........

I did my usual sort of plutter about today........
(Put some weedkiller down ...But I'm sure weeds think it's Baby Bio and thrive on it)

And while having a walk around the block (On my own) I suddenly had the greatest desire to be in the Costa Brava...........
Not that I felt that was particularly unusual ............

Once I eventually got out of bed and going it seemed OK ..........
But its been a sleepy NON day and Motivation is getting harder to find ..................

I'm only on day 22 I think ........... How many more weeks/Months have we to do?.....

Not as bad as i am still out working but.... Stopped for 5 minutes on Thursday and overheard a bunch of old women talking about how to sex snails and worms neutral It was quite funny as they were coming up with all strange ideas but never had the heart to tell then that they were hermaphrodite's big_smile

#13 2020-04-18 17:07:15

vaz2121

Had many a discussion:~
Where anybody overhearing thought WTF are those old Far** talking laughing about .....

But I'm having a little difficulty in figuring how and why they got onto discussing "how to determine sex of snails and worms" ....

I've more than enough trouble with figuring Cats ............

#14 2020-04-18 18:28:34

OAT

Today I have mostly been sniffing otter spraint. 

No one to discuss it with though and no one to overhear if I did.

#15 2020-04-18 23:53:38

kenbw2
Administrator

OAT wrote:

Today I have mostly been sniffing otter spraint. 

No one to discuss it with though and no one to overhear if I did.

Not your friendly host?

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#16 2020-04-19 10:34:43

OAT

Well he is friendly enough now, but out all day lambing.

Did give me an impromptu outdoor concert for the NHS last night.  Him playing bass at one end of the Loch and ex Metalica guitarist 2 miles away at the other end.

This place is like Brigadoon twined with Royston Vasey.  ☺

Last edited by OAT (2020-04-19 10:35:57)

Board footer