The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-04-26 11:32:20

vaz2121

Re: Newbie

I can't remember ever burning so much Diesel in a conversation and enjoying the Reminiscing .............
Thanks for that ... and listening to an old Fa** and his Rose tinted glasses........

I was never a big fan of the ERF and allways felt the winscreen to be a Piller box small slot ........
I have/had a couple of freinds that were keen on the Olympic I never gelled .......
I probably saw ERF's as the plastic Gaffers motor {they were reliable and cost effective ... you could buy an engine rebuild kit in a wooden box  and it had everything you'd need in there to virtually have a new engine.... An Olympic is going back a bit now}

My first year or so I had a log book and It was of all things an ERF Ridged with a two speed back axle ........
My first Artic unit they let me loose on was quite old at the time .........
It was a F86 Volvo {Bubble} and  they had managed to Shoehorn a F10 engine in it from a wreck when its engine had passed on .............
Most of the F86's work was within 20 miles of base so it was just regarded as a shunter and kept mobile........
Even though at the time it was thought quite highly of with that MOD...................

You mention the twin split.........
Nobody told me it was a twin split when I first came across one even the sticker on the window was for a single split gear ...........
I was incensed with what I thought I was doing wrong.......

I did a bit of consultant work for quite a time after my divorce ........
And I was asked if I could take out or find someone too.......
What was basically their local shunter {P93 Scania 280 ...Wendy house} which they affectionately Called Dino because of it reg {DNO}
Their problem was every one that ever Drove it Popped a half shaft out it..........
Because its gearbox pattern was split 6 Range change 4 .............

To their Delight when telling me about this I informed them the first unit I ever drove to (Silla, Valencia) Spain and did so on and off (2yrs) for Oranges was a P92 275 with that Very Gearbox.........
Guess who was requested often for Dino ...........

As youv'e probably worked out I like my Scania's ............
At first I was very Volvo I'd by then made progress to newer F7's (Junior Globetrotter big_smile ) and F10's
Until I started a new job and they gave me a p82 210 ? which was then converted into a wagon and drag and I got the 92.........
I Did have a MAN waggon and drag on with a company called Westerman who's UK office was in Basildon..........
I never ever got more than about 10 foot in reverse with that, it had a scissor action dolly on it [giving 3 fulcrums]

I did for a month have a FM 10 Volvo, my memorey is it came with a bent factory stack that just made the fridge black
The earliest F10's after the F88's I drove you had to split the gear from the Dash.........

I'd better wind up with a couple admissions now that everyone is bored to tears
Iv'e never driven a F16 Volvo or any Foden of any description.....
I don't have a diggi card.............
As the last truck I drove from jan o6 for a good bit was  a 55 plate MAN [Mean And Nasty] and was the last reg IIRC that didn't require fitting one at time..........
And Although I have a CPC for national and international Road haulage operation.........
I never took My drivers CPC when my Grandfather rights expired and I gave up my operators license in late 2017.............

#27 2020-04-27 00:35:17

vaz2121

Ah :~ Welcome along Dispatcher big_smile  and Sorry ........For hijacking thread and going of on a tangent .................

#28 2020-04-29 12:17:51

Dispatcher

Hi Anchor, good to hear you like yours, all vehicles need something smile never had a vehicle that I haven’t had to spend something on smile the joys lol
When I bought it had a few missing/ broken/ parts needing serviced etc but I did get it for a good price so I just bit the bullet.
Since then it has encountered a bit black smoke from the tailpipe so I’m going through everything at the moment
Meanwhile I have done the following
New
Airfilter
Oil/filter change
New glow plugs
Stripped and cleaned egr
New genuine maf
Tightened down injectors
Injector cleaner put through system
New rocker cover and pcv valve
New turbo seal between rocker and intake hose
New oil cooler and gaskets
Removed dpf heat sheild
New tyres
New tail light
Sprayed door rails
Tracking done
New side mirror
New window motor and mechanism
Drained and refilled steering fluid
Drained coolant and renewed
Cleaned all sensors
Checked turbo for play (all good)
Stripped out intercooler cleaned with acetone for any oil residue( wasn’t much as was fairly clean

Mostly because I take care of my vehicles and because I like to maintain and repair( it’s in my bones I have to tinker lol)

On order and to be fitted/ to be done

New turbo seal (orange turbo side) my one is split sad
New window wipers
New 3rd rear light(on door) big crack on mine
New window switch( driver side doesn’t open passenger on switch hmm
New air intake sensor
Wishbones with all seals / cv joint
Anti roll bars
Injector cleaner
Strip down rear drum brakes clean and reassemble
Clean front brake setup while doing wishbones
Cambelt water pump kit
Clean throttle assembly
Possibly blanking plate although it’s arrived I’m in 2 minds at moment

I’m waiting on parts and the lockdown is a great time to do it all before mot. It’s my workhorse and cosmetically it’s good for year and has the usual scratches here and there but hey I’m not too fussed as it’s going to get knocked about but mechanically I want it to be as good as I can, mostly the aim would be to get it to not have the black smoke under load but I’m eliminating what I can at the moment.

Hasn’t cost me much as long as the list looks I’ve done all the work myself so saved me a fortune lol

#29 2020-04-29 12:21:09

Dispatcher

Hi Vaz  wink

#30 2020-04-29 12:53:09

Anchor1979
Website

Hi Dispatcher,
That's a fairly comprehensive list, I can tick a few of them items off having been done on my own van over the last couple of years.

Need to do a little paint work on mine too, the side loading doors sills as they get rubbed alot. Then the leading edge on the rear wheel arches.

Like you I wanted to get rid of the black smoke under acceleration, that's when I ended up replacing loads of items.

Like to tinker abit myself, but having a brother who's a mechanic is good as he has all the tools etc that help get stuff like wish bones, changed mine last year along with drop links etc. Always doing little things and adding bits to it, much to the wife's annoyance.

Latest accessories are led side bars, front A bar, wolfrace alloy wheels and the new sony xav-ax8050d bead unit.

To be fair it's coming up due for a service, so will probably get on to that over the next week or two.

#31 2020-04-29 13:37:38

OAT

Hello and welcome Dispatcher.  smile 
That should be a very sound  and reliable van when done.

#32 2020-04-30 11:30:55

Dispatcher

Hi Oat

Thanks for the welcome  smile  yes should be good once everything is done, it only has 69k on the clock too which is ideal smile just waiting for the rain to bugger off so I can do a bit more smile

Board footer