The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-04 18:00:34

RachelHG

Alternator replacement

Hello,

i'm new to the forum. I hope everyone is well and coping OK during current crisis. My battery warning light came on the other day on my fiat scudo 2004. After checking the alternator it didn't appear to be giving out any current. As such I bought a second hand alternator from ebay, supposedly from an identical vehicle to mine. However after removing the current alternator and comparing it with the one I have just received from ebay, I noticed that the connections are somewhat different. My original alternator has one pole labelled B+, it also has a clip in sensor. The replacement has two poles, one labelled B+ and one laballed D+ (but no socket to insert the plastic sensor). Has anyone else encountered this problem before ? What do people think of the idea of attaching a ring terminal to the sensor and connecting it to the D+ pole?

Any help and advice much appreciated.

Rachel

#2 2020-04-04 18:46:52

kenbw2

Re: Alternator replacement

I replaced mine and I'm pretty sure it only had two connections on the alternator.

Actually I just checked to make sure, and yes there are only two. Mine's an older model - 2000 1.9TD.

PgZ2SNE.jpg

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion + full time home
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#3 2020-04-04 21:11:23

RachelHG

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, your alternator looks exactly the same as my replacement. Unfortunately the defective one i've just taken off has only one pole and what I take to be some kind of sensor (as it is attached to a super fine piece of wire going into the loom). On my original alternator both thick wires (one from the loom and one to battery (via starter motor) are attached to the same pole B+.

Otherwise the alternators seem the same in size, shape and mountings. I presume they produce the same amps although one has no data sticker on it.

Anyone out there have any thoughts on putting both thick wires to the B+ terminal and the thick sensor wire to the D+ pole using a ring terminal? Or putting the thick loom wire to the D+ and the other thick one to B+ and just sacking off the 'sensor'? 

Ken re: your how to on replacing the oil cooler i'm in the same boat and i'm really grateful for your detailed guide which i'm just reading now smile

Last edited by RachelHG (2020-04-04 21:21:27)

#4 2020-04-04 22:14:00

kenbw2

I did think maybe you could just put one ring on there. Like, I bet the one pole on yours is positive and it grounds to the engine. Sounds theoretically possible but maybe very carefully! Maybe you couldbe clever with a multimeter or something?

Glad the oil cooler post is helping, I was very pleased it resolved my issue as I was thinking head gasket otherwise =/

Last edited by kenbw2 (2020-04-04 22:14:27)

#5 2020-05-01 19:58:44

RachelHG

Hello, after much back & forth with eBay sellers I got a brand new alternator for my van. I diagnosed a malfunctioning  alternator based on the fact that the battery light was permanently lit when engine on & the battery is def not charging (monitored with voltmeter). Plus all connections & wiring seemed in tact. Hwr, having installed the new alternator today it still does not work :-( I presume it is failing to excite but can't ascertain why or how to fix it and it's doing my head in as all such problems do. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I guess I should add that it did work for all of about 30 secs when I first started it & produced 13.8v (although after an afternoon of banging my head against the problem i'm querying whether this was a hallucination)

Rachel 2004 Fiat Scudo 1.9D

Report Delete Edit Quote
Pages:1Post reply
Index» Maintenance» Alternator not exciting or charging battery :-(

#6 2020-05-01 22:22:08

OAT

Are you getting no output at all at the alternator itself?   Could it just be a dud?

I know little of electrics but perhaps try giving it a bit of load with lights.blower. etc all on.

I also thought my alternator wasn't charging recently.  Turned out I had my cheap, non self ranging meter on the wrong range.  Wouldn't register on 20v range but did on 200v.

As you think it may have worked briefly, have you checked all relevant fuses.?

#7 2020-05-02 01:08:17

kenbw2

Does sound like a dud to me unfortunately, but you could verify it by putting your multimeter on the alternator's terminals itself - one on the positive and one somewhere grounded.

What voltage do you see on the battery with the engine running?

Mine does need 'waking' up with a high rev blip before it starts charging, You could try that

Last edited by kenbw2 (2020-05-02 02:29:19)

#8 2020-05-02 14:09:29

vaz2121

On reading this thread and looking at kenbw2's photo it looks the same as mine from memorey.............

DSCF0456.jpeg
This very mankie alternator is off my 306 DW8 (It did manage over 200,000mls and is awaiting refurbishment =my laziness) and I'm sure it's the same although in this instance haven't looked on Van...........

Then I saw your van is badged as a Fiat and then wondered at your description.............

Tiree-fitted-alternator.jpeg
This alternator is fitted to Tiree's van and also like mine and kenbw2's badged as either a peugeot or Citroen .......

But Tiree's fittmen is clearly modified ..........

Is it a Fiat version  ?............

Which inturn on kenbw2's and mine the large pole is for charge and the Small pole (thin wire) for battery dash light..............

P.S. As Casper pointed out to me Recently 14.4 is nearer the mark with engine running and charging battery

Last edited by vaz2121 (2020-05-02 14:12:54)

Board footer