The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-28 13:18:41

markm49uk

Leisure battery in 2014 Citroen Dispatch Combi

Hi,

Last year I purchased a 1 year old Combi (9 seats) L2 as I have a large family.  We used it to transport ourselves around the Uk last year camping and as I had recently had a hip replacement (old injury!) I slept in the bus while we used a driveway awning for the remainder of the family.

One of the challenges is that we prefer camp sites that are fairly remote/basic with perhaps a toilet block and fresh water only - this brings challenges in that keeping phones, iPads etc charged is a problem when the only source of power is the bus.  I would like to install a small leisure battery that would help with this without flattening the main starter battery.

Now I know that split relay kits are available on Ebay but my question really is about where to position the leisure battery - the starter battery is located under the drivers feet and it's a really tight fit so no chance of installing in there.  Has anyone installed a leisure battery in a 2007 on Dispatch?

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 2016-04-28 15:45:07

Casper

Re: Leisure battery in 2014 Citroen Dispatch Combi

How about under one of the back seats? Put it in a nice box. OK you will need larger cables for the live and i think a smaller one to the alternator but its out the way. Get a gel or sealed battery if worried about fumes. I have the older version of these vans and the battery will be at the back doors and cables drilled though floor and running along under the van. As long as you are using rubber grommets you will be fine.

#3 2016-04-28 15:54:54

markm49uk

Casper wrote:

How about under one of the back seats? Put it in a nice box. OK you will need larger cables for the live and i think a smaller one to the alternator but its out the way. Get a gel or sealed battery if worried about fumes. I have the older version of these vans and the battery will be at the back doors and cables drilled though floor and running along under the van. As long as you are using rubber grommets you will be fine.

Thanks for the reply.  Fumes were a concern so will make sure it's a gel or sealed battery.  We move the seats about quite often depending on how many of us are going out - we have built some wooden storage/seating units that fit in the back with the very back row folded over.  I did wonder about maybe the engine bay if I could find a location for a battery tray - is there any reason Citroen fit the battery under the drivers seat?

#4 2016-04-28 16:33:23

Casper

This is the older van but gives you an idea that if there is a will there is a way

http://blue-van.blogspot.co.uk/p/fittin … ttery.html

BTW i would be getting into the habit of charging while on the move as your leisure battery will drain quite quick with lights, radio and kids charging a few phones or netbooks. I always take a spare phone battery when away just in case.

#5 2016-04-28 22:45:13

markm49uk

Casper wrote:

This is the older van but gives you an idea that if there is a will there is a way

http://blue-van.blogspot.co.uk/p/fittin … ttery.html

BTW i would be getting into the habit of charging while on the move as your leisure battery will drain quite quick with lights, radio and kids charging a few phones or netbooks. I always take a spare phone battery when away just in case.

Thanks - yes charging on the go was the order of the day but only so many charging points available - 3 12V sockets in the bus and these used to charge two devices each where possible.  Some days though we stay on camp so need something as a backup power supply for those occasions.

I'll have a look in the engine bay tomorrow.

#6 2019-11-05 23:48:27

Happy camper

I have a 2001 expert that I have converted into a weekend camper and I have put a 75ah battery above the rear wheel of the drivers side boxed in and wired to a fuse box with the split charge relay for the same reason as yourself if you want you can just park it and get in back we have a tv/dvd, led lighting, USB sockets 12v sockets a 12v fridge and a power inverter and we can charge 2 phones a tablet and watch TV all day with little change to the voltage also has the advantage of being charged while travelling or just running the engine

#7 2019-11-06 23:19:08

vaz2121

It's a Mk1 (Facelift) I've got also...........
But ..........
I would agree with Casper on this one .............
You could make a simple wooden box or buy a plastic ready made one from the likes of eBay ..................
How about measure how much space you have under front passenger seat if your moving the rears in and out/about ...........
Also add about some extra USB and 12V power points on ignition for charging on the move should help ..........

The same as you would for a Leisure battery

Board footer