The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-04 19:16:15

Paulc

Timing pulley

IMG-20200504-WA0001.jpg ]Hi, I'm doing the timing belt on my 2006 Citroen dispatch van. It has a solid pulley instead of the one with 4 small bolts, When I've took bottom pulley off to reveal the timing pulley, the slot in the pulley looks too big for the key. When I've looked the pulley up online is says a 9mm slot for a 6mm keyway, Is this correct??  Thanks in advance. Paul

Last edited by Paulc (2020-05-04 19:19:43)

#2 2020-05-05 08:51:51

scotchjoe

Re: Timing pulley

Yes you have the correct crankshaft sprocket.
The instructions that came with my gates timing belt kit say....
Fit crankshaft sprocket aligning tool.Ensure aligning tool remains against the left hand side of crankshaft key.
So you have to fit a suitable home made aligning tool in the gap of the slot to keep the crankshaft sprocket hard against the right hand side of the crankshaft key.This locks the crankshaft sprocket in the correct position for fitting and tightening the belt.

#3 2020-05-05 09:03:19

scotchjoe

A picture speaks a thousand words,numbers 13 and 14timing-belt.jpg

#4 2020-05-05 10:58:52

vaz2121

scotchjoe wrote:

A picture speaks a thousand words,numbers 13 and 14https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/forum/img/members/1017/timing-belt.jpg

I'm glad you came up with the answer ......

I'm still a little confused (French though) as the diagram in the repair manual section is the same but different for a DW8..........
I'm sure Paulc was thinking same thing .............

Unless ofcourse it's because DW8/B........
It might just be handy posting that diagram of yours too there also……………

(I admit I was somewhat perplexed when first coming across a shaft Without a woodruff  key .............

Was also involved in a remedial cam-belt fitting as first couple had failed after a very short period with a lack of applied torque on the Fiat based diesel  in a (GM) Vectra
“We had to use A Torque Wrench for Lorry Wheel nuts just to be able to attain a high enough reading and I wasn’t the only one convinced bolt would strip or break before  reaching Torque setting (But No)……………

#5 2020-05-05 12:09:54

scotchjoe

vaz2121 wrote:
scotchjoe wrote:

A picture speaks a thousand words,numbers 13 and 14https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/forum/img/members/1017/timing-belt.jpg

I'm still a little confused (French though) as the diagram in the repair manual section is the same but different for a DW8..........

(I admit I was somewhat perplexed when first coming across a shaft Without a woodruff  key .............

Was also involved in a remedial cam-belt fitting as first couple had failed after a very short period with a lack of applied torque on the Fiat based diesel  in a (GM) Vectra
“We had to use A Torque Wrench for Lorry Wheel nuts just to be able to attain a high enough reading and I wasn’t the only one convinced bolt would strip or break before  reaching Torque setting (But No)……………

The crankshaft key is just a removable woodruff key.Gates choose to call it a crankshaft key,so went with that to avoid confusion.

Last edited by scotchjoe (2020-05-05 12:10:16)

#6 2020-05-05 12:33:44

scotchjoe

My van is a 2006 DW8B,the same year as Paulc's van.Like his my damper pulley was bolted directly to the crank,unlike other DW8B engines that have the damper pulley fixed to the crankshaft sprocket by four bolts.
My van only had an adjustable(slotted) fuel pump sprocket,any pictures of DW8B engines I could find online also had an adjustable (slotted) camshaft sprocket.
I put it down to the fact that my van was a late 2006 and the factory using up what they had left,even had thoughts that the engine may have been swapped out due to the differences of my engine to the pictures of DW8B engines on the web.The engine number is correct on the V5C,but that can easily be changed
So my mind has been put at rest due to Paulc's 2006 engine having the same arrangement of pulleys and sprockets as mine.

#7 2020-05-05 13:05:09

vaz2121

scotchjoe wrote:
vaz2121 wrote:
scotchjoe wrote:

The crankshaft key is just a removable woodruff key.Gates choose to call it a crankshaft key,so went with that to avoid confusion.

big_smile big_smile big_smile   Sorry:~ Why I was really perplexed and meant was NO KEY Woodruff or otherwise Named............
But to be fair IIRC it had a tapered shaft ................

#8 2020-05-05 13:38:54

vaz2121

scotchjoe wrote:

My van is a 2006 DW8B,the same year as Paulc's van.Like his my damper pulley was bolted directly to the crank,unlike other DW8B engines that have the damper pulley fixed to the crankshaft sprocket by four bolts.
My van only had an adjustable(slotted) fuel pump sprocket,any pictures of DW8B engines I could find online also had an adjustable (slotted) camshaft sprocket.
I put it down to the fact that my van was a late 2006 and the factory using up what they had left,even had thoughts that the engine may have been swapped out due to the differences of my engine to the pictures of DW8B engines on the web.The engine number is correct on the V5C,but that can easily be changed
So my mind has been put at rest due to Paulc's 2006 engine having the same arrangement of pulleys and sprockets as mine.

That's very interesting as my Van is 2005 and belt done at around purchase time which was 5----6 years ago (not by usual garage) so is looming soon It''ll be interesting to see if it's different to the 306 which is fast approaching also IIRC it's 3rd in our ownership............

{I'll keep it short but a Long drawn out story) I've a 95/96 Golf MK 3 1Y Diesel and last year I had pump sent off for resealing as it was leaking Diesel............
On it's return there was some hystreia on the Loss of the Woodruff key......................
What a PITA that became as :~ "Has a slot cut for a key in shaft but not on sproket"..... so doesn't use one
This is separate incident to confusion of NO woodruff key on crank }

#9 2020-05-05 15:08:25

scotchjoe

Paul has not actually said that his van has a DW8B fitted,so may be jumping the gun a bit.

#10 2020-05-05 17:57:39

Paulc

Hi, thanks for getting back to me guys.  Mine is a 2006 , 1.9d.  how do I know if it's a dw8 or dw8b? Does it make a difference as to where i set this bottom timing pulley in relation to the key slot? I'm just putting it back together as we speak.   Thanks again paul

#11 2020-05-05 20:01:08

scotchjoe

Paulc wrote:

Hi, thanks for getting back to me guys.  Mine is a 2006 , 1.9d.  how do I know if it's a dw8 or dw8b? Does it make a difference as to where i set this bottom timing pulley in relation to the key slot? I'm just putting it back together as we speak.   Thanks again paul

Same engine and year as mine Paul.It's a DW8B.
The bottom timing pulley(crankshaft sprocket) is as in posts 2 and 3 of your thread.

Board footer