The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-15 16:14:50

lincolnexpert

My very basic Stealth Van

Only bought it in January. It had been used for moving Motorcycles about and previous owner had it for 12 years.
Since January I've insulated & carpeted it. Made a few cubby holes and Fold down tables for little stove etc. I'm in two minds whether to put windows in the back as I quite like being cocooned and also shows no sign of being a little Camper. Have decided to just use fold out foam beds instead of fixed rock & roll as we have a huge Akita/Gsd cross who takes up a lot of floor space.
Quite like the idea of an awning though. Wife is considering making something to fit over rear doors when both open.IMG_20200314_151707621_HDR.jpegIMG_20200314_151747244_HDR.jpegIMG_20200314_151816537.jpegIMG_20200314_151834763_HDR.jpeg

#2 2020-03-15 22:17:49

dRoyd

Re: My very basic Stealth Van

I like it. It’s surprising how basic it can be. An awning would give you more space though but no longer stealthy!!

#3 2020-03-16 00:59:26

Casper

Never seen the point in trying to hide (Stealth) This was my last one big_smile

01.jpg
52.jpg

We did get the hang of it and managed to put that awning up straighter but the issue was the height. Awning tracking on the van needed to be higher.
BTW that little bulkhead on the floor will come out. If not bothered about three seats you can get a single and swivel plates. Having the extra seats open up the van space a lot more.

20160527-125703.jpg

And if like me (Tight) make yer own thermal blinds. This is what i did in my convy

https://poormansthermalblinds.blogspot. … linds.html

#4 2020-03-16 01:39:02

kenbw2
Administrator

Looks very nice inside. Your carpeted panels look very neat and tidy, and those tables look super handy.

I'm with you in having a fold out foam mattress on the floor. Space is at a premium in our vans!

With windows, I went to a lot of effort to add some side ones in, and I already had rear ones. I like it for the view, but I know exactly what you mean about feeling cocooned. What sort of places do you park in?

Last edited by kenbw2 (2020-03-16 01:41:00)

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#5 2020-03-16 02:35:36

OAT

Does the job and will get you on the road.  smile

I think that's the best way myself.  There is no better way to find out what is best for you than doing it.  It's a constant process.

If unsure of windows, best try without first.  Easier than putting them back to tin.  smile

It realy does depend on your personal preferences and what you intend to do.  Personaly  I wouldn't be without windows.  But if you are active and expect to be outdoors in all weather's,  just intend the van for sleeping, Iit wouldn't matter.

As for stealth, I am sure it's appropriate to some peoples needs, but for the vast majority of people, and the use they hope to make of a van, it is not relevant.  It may be if you expect to camp a lot in urban areas. Apart from that, there are few places in UK remote enough, that however isolated you are, you won't be noticed.  In such places, an unmarked van is probably the most suspicious thing around.  Where's a solo camper appears much less a threat.

I like to think of "discrete" camping myself.  smile

But the best advice I could give is don't just follow some bloke on the Internet.   Not even me.  smile

Suck it and see, and have fun.

EDIT... My new best advice is :-
If you ever sterilise your pee bottle with neat bleach, don't forget to rinse it out.

Last edited by OAT (2020-03-16 03:16:40)

#6 2020-03-16 06:22:06

vaz2121

I think it's brilliant Quite "homely" and a lot less basic than some of the things we knocked up over the years
But that was work related {I've Shared floor space with a Diff and half shafts before or come think:........ I probably looked like an early version of an Illegal in back had I been at a ferry port}..............

personally:

I would'nt bother with windows at rear but I would at least have one on (N/S) Passengers sliding door as I find it very handy at junctions and I tend to be  too Lazy and leave the curtains closed on the Rest inc rear doors, Also taken interior rear view mirror off (This could  could be a consequence of Driving Lorries for so long .. I Don't miss it in van and only ever use outside mirrors to reverse)............
But windows are handy for investgating around outside at times..........

I will agree with OAT  and Casper......... That
If you want park in a town on a street and nobody to be the wiser don't shout about it and being just a van helps with/does that........ Other than that nearly every one knows what your up too (And being overly just van like might get you a refusal to stop on a camp site if required)

Considering we used the 306 or a tent to camp out for many a year ..........
Being built by others to a degree and with adding some of our own touchs of needed things, I feel our van has spoiled us somewhat and although it's basic in Motor home terms it's put a sort of minimum expectation of what we'll accept/require in future ...........[Having more than before {and the more you've got the more you want}]

But age and Health I suppose creates a list .........

As for the Awning for us.... Having a side door ..... Although we chose only to have a sunshade  and rarely use it ..........we tend to frequent there now

If it Does the job you want and your happy with what it gives .............
I don't see anything wrong with it  ...........
That's the Beauty of self built..........

And as OAT say " Suck it and See" ...........
You or somebody will Probably change your mind tommorow ...........

#7 2020-03-16 09:22:38

lincolnexpert

Oh I've let this slip..so many things to reply to smile
Thanks for all your feedback.
I'm still not sure about Windows. My Last Van was a Talbot Express purpose build Camper with windows everywhere. I found I tended to have a lot of the curtains closed most of the time anyway unless I was somewhere lovely & quiet. If I'm parked up somewhere peaceful in the Expert and weather permitting I can just open a Side door. I don't think I'd have them in the back doors but could go for one on the side  like Ken has and Casper had. A bit scared of cutting holes in doors though. I did want a skylight but I can't trust myself to cut a hole in the roof!
I've never used Campsites in any of my Vans. I like to find Solitary spots and quiet car parks. I feel less Conspicuous like this. I was somewhere recently parked up where Campervans weren't allowed to stay overnight but mine was fine and I was left alone. Like someone mentioned it's a Constant process and in 6 months I might have windows everywhere!
Would love to change the double seat for a single but that is only in my capabilities if the holes in the floor are the same. Would love Swivel seats.
Good to know that bulkhead on the floor will come out. I've been looking at it but I'm just not mechanically minded and wasn't sure if it was important lol. Will it just unbolt?
I tell you what I have found really useful... fitting Wind deflectors. It means I can have both side windows open a bit regardless of weather and it stops the condensation and allows me to have a brew without worrying about ventilation. Only thing I found is I had to buy extra clips to fit them as you only get 4 and it's not enough to secure them properly.
The brackets I used to make the tables are really cheap https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pcs-Heavy-D … 3759216494?  Used an old chopping board for one and a bit of ply for the other.
Well thanks again for all your comments. It's great to be able to share ideas.

#8 2020-03-17 17:24:48

GRIFFIN

IMG_20191013_121822.jpegmini_IMG_20191013_121704.jpegmini_IMG_20191013_121739.jpeg

These are mine and damned handy they are too. The green one looks made to measure but is actually a dome tent extension by trespass I think. The Grey one is from ebay and fits into my homemade awning rail. Check out details in my previous post on the subject. I also have a flat sheet that fits onto the other side and is perfect for cooking under.

Just as a side issue, I made the roof awning bars for my Scudo which expired last year and it had windows to which I fitted silver film to ensure privacy. Now I have my Dispatch van which has no windows and I prefer the van. Firstly it's more private and secondly, I have insulated the side panels with 20mm adhesive foam before covering them and the door cards with fabric, so it allows a much higher degree of insulation and warmth.

I have also considered painting the upper door panels black on the rear and side doors to give the illusion of blacked out windows and this may make it look like a camper van, allowing easier access to campsites.

Last edited by GRIFFIN (2021-03-17 01:26:28)

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same

#9 2020-03-18 09:46:19

lincolnexpert

Hi Griffin, The green one is a great fit and I think I prefer the idea of one attaching at the rear doors more. I was just planning on getting something like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-DISP … SwmY1dUGDA
I too insulated everywhere with adhesive foam panels before carpeting and found we were much warmer than in my old Camper with windows all over it.
We also enjoy the Privacy that you don't get with a Windowed Van. Have you considered fitting a Skylight? That's an interesting idea re painting panels to look like windows.

#10 2020-03-24 00:48:55

GRIFFIN

yeah, looks a bit basic and expensive plus you have to have the doors open to use it which can get a little draughty at times. My green one was a tent extension I got from Argos clearance a couple of years ago for £35 and I think its been discontinued. I've looked on eBay and you can get various caravan porch awnings from between £50 and £100 second hand or new and some are similar to my green one, so if you keep an eye on the size, you'll get one pretty close.

#11 2020-06-08 15:57:10

citroencamper06

Wow! The swivel seats are awesome. Does anyone know a way to reverse a three seater for same result?

#12 2020-06-18 11:28:02

lincolnexpert

My very cheap(and nasty lol) Sunshade!  Keeps the Sun & Rain out and gives the Dog & me plenty of fresh air!  A waterproof picnic blanket (xl size) about £8  & some magnets off Amazon for a fiver. Stays where it is no problem. This was taken yesterday in Mablethorpe.mini_IMG_20200617_123513404_HDR.jpegmini_IMG_20200617_123523313.jpeg

#13 2020-06-18 21:03:43

OAT

citroencamper06 wrote:

Wow! The swivel seats are awesome. Does anyone know a way to reverse a three seater for same result?

I haven't seen one in our vans but swivels for dual seats are available if that's what you mean.  Would be expensive though.

Lincoln... can't see your pic.

#14 2020-06-18 21:15:58

lincolnexpert

Not sure what I did thereIMG_20200617_123523313_20200618-2114.jpegIMG_20200617_123513404_HDR_20200618-2115.jpeg

#15 2020-06-20 00:35:25

GRIFFIN

Not really sure a double seat would spin in the restricted space of the cab on one of these vans, as where the base fixes to the floor is offset rather than central.

The blanket and magnets do work pretty well though, I like the idea and may get some magnets for mine to keep the awning flaps down in the wind.

#16 2021-03-01 22:32:17

Tranzformer

Casper wrote:

Never seen the point in trying to hide (Stealth) This was my last one big_smile

https://i.postimg.cc/Xqcw72wN/01.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/8cBgBnJr/52.jpg

We did get the hang of it and managed to put that awning up straighter but the issue was the height. Awning tracking on the van needed to be higher.
BTW that little bulkhead on the floor will come out. If not bothered about three seats you can get a single and swivel plates. Having the extra seats open up the van space a lot more.

https://i.postimg.cc/h4yMdLvD/20160527-125703.jpg

And if like me (Tight) make yer own thermal blinds. This is what i did in my convy

https://poormansthermalblinds.blogspot. … linds.html

I like the look of that flooring you used. What is it please?

#17 2021-03-02 00:08:54

Casper

It was a few years back. God knows the code but it was B&Q own laminate if that helps

#18 2021-03-02 00:26:33

Tranzformer

Cheers bro.

I was toying with the idea of Altro flooring but perhaps laminate would be another alternative.

#19 2021-03-02 00:39:36

Casper

Its cheap and hardwearing. It was in my black Convoy and will also be in the next one. Only downside is if you have a dog but saying that, depending on how sick you are it could be funny big_smile In tin tent one the dog had her bed on a non slip mat. That was between a home made R&R bed and the front seats. Was traveling through Belgium and some arse trucker just changed lane without looking so i had to slam the anchors on. On the R&R bed was a box with some food and tins of beer. Poor dog got that on the back of get Nut as she was sliding between the front seats. I managed to start driving again as on a fast lane and truck was a few yards forward to us now but the beer started to roll under the bloody pedals and one was pierced and spraying beer over the cab big_smile wife was bending down trying to fish it all out what must have looked a comical sight. Look it easy to a service area for a good clean out.

#20 2021-03-02 00:53:26

Tranzformer

Ah so its slippy and possibly scratches easily ? (I intend to use my van for van stuff too). Is it heavy?

At least Altro vinyl is light, durable and non slip.

Board footer