The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-26 23:22:50

Father Stone

Bike carrier?

Hello,
I'm struggling to work out the best method or type of bike carrier for a 2013 Dispatch LWB with twin rear doors.
Can anyone recommend either a roof bars /rails system or better a rear carrier?
Many thanks

#2 2020-06-27 07:06:09

Anchor1979
Website

Re: Bike carrier?

Hi Father Stone,

I've a lwb high roof model, I have the rhino bar roof rack but it's to high really to put a bike rack on.

I'd probably look at the range of towbar mounted racks from thule if I was to have a call to have one.

Or are you looking for a more permanent rear mounted cycle rack?

#3 2020-06-27 08:18:30

Father Stone

Hi Anchor 1979,
Thank you for the message.
I am not too worried if it's permanent or provided it doesn't interfere with doors being opened.  I haven't got a tow bar fitted so maybe that's the way to go?
I was put off by the cost (quoted £320 by a local garage)  I will try getting  cheaper quote.
Your high top looks the business,  mine has a seats/bed in the back but it's a bit lacking in head room!

#4 2020-06-27 09:50:07

tee_cee

On my old 2002 van I had a door mounted Fiamma Carrybike 200D, but the read doors on the newer vans are so thin I'd be worried that they would take the weight.
My 2015 already had a towbar so I fitted an Atera Strada DL2 rack. These slide back to allow you to open the doors as per this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6spSWoezqc
Unfortunately the doors won't open fully when the bikes are slid back, but enough to reach in to get stuff out. Bought 2nd hand for £225
Towbar material costs should be about £140 for a witter bar & towball - £35 for wiring kit + bypass relay, or PF Jones sell dedicated wiring kits for about £120, which would make fitting a lot easier

#5 2020-06-27 13:38:04

Anchor1979
Website

Thanks Father Stone,

Just in the process of converting it to a day/camper van all be it slowly due to work, wife and kids ?

Got new leather front seats to fit, well new to me at least. Then move on to the rear interior, as got all the plastic door fitting etc from a window van to fit before doing the bed/seat and units.

I fitted my towbar myself, very easy to do as it just bolted straight on.

To be fair u purchased the wiring as a 13 pin kit from the dealer as the price wasn't to bad. I'll find the receipt out and check later.

#6 2020-06-30 07:13:08

Father Stone

Thanks for the reply Tee_cee, sounds like a tow bar is best.  Might need to wait a while though.
I'm a bit wary with electrics so might get someone to fit it.
I did look at Fiamma 200D and wondered if it might fit?  The doors do seem a bit flimsy as you say, would they take the strain of two or three bikes levering it especially as you drive over bumps?
Like the idea of leather seats Anchor 79!

#7 2020-06-30 07:22:31

Anchor1979
Website

Just a side note on the electrics, if you purchase the kit from Peugeot then it's a plug and play kit as long as you have the module at the rear of the van nearside.

You may also need to activate the trailer module as well. I didnt need to on mine it just worked, butchecked it with my brothers snap on diagnostic thing once done.

Father Stone hoping to start fitting the leather seats this weekend. Will do a thread once done.

#8 2020-07-01 07:39:28

tee_cee

Father Stone wrote:

Thanks for the reply Tee_cee, sounds like a tow bar is best.  Might need to wait a while though.
I'm a bit wary with electrics so might get someone to fit it.
I did look at Fiamma 200D and wondered if it might fit?  The doors do seem a bit flimsy as you say, would they take the strain of two or three bikes levering it especially as you drive over bumps?
Like the idea of leather seats Anchor 79!

On my 2002 expert with rear windows I filled the door frame around the rack fixing points with expanding foam. This really stiffened the door quite a bit. In the end I was more worried about the door bursting open than buckling. 2 bikes were fine at about 27kg, but I would not have gone for 3.

#9 2020-07-01 10:32:29

16vdady

I’ve had numerous things over the years for carrying bikes.
Tow bar mounted is definitely the best all round.
Tucked away behind van is fav. Roof mounted is a pain especially with a high top van!
I did have one of those fiamma racks tail gate mounted on a previous camper which worked well.
But tow bar mount favourite as I say. Take it off put in van when not in use and good value second hand.
Have you searched eBay for used rack and tow bar?
I have bought used tow bars before and just bought a new plug in wiring loom and fitted myself.

#10 2020-07-01 12:09:31

tee_cee

Just remembered that I posted a pic of the 200D on someone's Citroen here https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/foru … php?id=733
You would of course need a lighting board also.

Board footer