The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-11 09:28:51

Scudo Beastie

Hello and a bit of Scudo front Vibey help please.

Hello, just fond this great little forum.

On my third Dispatch 99, Expert 04, now Scudo van MK2 2006 HDI

But stuck with my local garage on some front left vibey and knocky doings !!! if you will.

It started slowly but I have a front left vibey/ bad knocking sound on, seems to be the road bumps causing the noise but also some engine revs go through.

Now getting very loud and crashey on bumps.

I told my local garage I thought it was at the top of the shock, but they said track rod end, so got both done there.

But its still the same.

I thought maybe the stop axle mounting plate and bush, lots of knocking now on bumpy roads, rural here.

But also as you drive it goes through it oddly.

Anyway hoping someone handy here may have an idea or experience of this.

Must admit I don`t think it was the track rod end, but I suppose rule things out etc.

Thanks and hope in advance.

Last edited by Scudo Beastie (2020-07-11 09:30:12)

#2 2020-07-12 00:18:34

kenbw2

Re: Hello and a bit of Scudo front Vibey help please.

I had something similar with wishbones, could be those Not cheap though, about £90 each as I remember

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion + full time home
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#3 2020-07-12 01:12:46

JohnDragonMan
Website

Welcome Welcome.

ive just done a full front end rebuild on my van, everything off and replaced. my wishbones were loose at the bushes.

things i would check:

wishbone bushes, as said.. common to go. not horriffic to replace if you have a good sized pry bar. just be careful when trying to get the bottom ball joint back in.. its real easy to damage the ball joint dust cover/rubber boot thing.

bottom ball joints. when ever i had a knock on a previous car, it was always the bottom ball joint. get a crowbar in between the bottom arm and CV and gently put pressure on it all around. if you see movement get it changed. you do not want to see what happens when they pop out.

Strut tops. yes. let me tell you that up there, they rust pretty bad. mine was bad. glad i found it when i did and prevented future failure.

anti roll bar bushes if you have one fitted. not very common to fail though. mine were like brand new under the metal, all be it very perished externally visually.

Drive shafts. know its crazy but worth just checking. friend had a moon miles 206 HDI with an odd knock. ended up being the drivers side drive shaft support bearing (back of the engine) XUD and HDI have these.

finally, check to see if your sub frame is OK. heard that they can rust and may even snap.

if you have a pair of ramps, its all easy to do big_smile if not just jack up one side and secure with an axle stand while going at it with a pry bar.

if the knock is as bad as you say, just jacking up so the wheel is off the ground and trying to move the wheel around should tell you everything you need to know. a time where tyre kicking is actually convenient.

hope this helps!

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: There's always user serviceable parts inside. Molten metal "hot". In my defence, i was left unsupervised. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My Crazy Mk2 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#4 2020-07-12 13:36:51

Scudo Beastie

Hi thanks for the help etc, its a bit of a beggar.

Sadly down cash with an off we go to the right van now with the new track rod ends, but it was tracked !!!

I`m going to order a Bilstein top bearing and holder and go for that.

It does sound as if its up there to me.

Still love the Van though.

Thanks again

I think they checked all of the lower down things.

It does sound pretty bad now.

#5 2020-07-12 14:05:09

JohnDragonMan
Website

if you can jack it up with the wheel off and visually inspect what it looks like in the strut tops. get your hand in and give things a tug. see if the spring is still good. forgot to mention that, if they are rusted they may have fractured.

20200621_175507.jpeg

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: There's always user serviceable parts inside. Molten metal "hot". In my defence, i was left unsupervised. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My Crazy Mk2 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#6 2020-07-12 23:14:30

woodbine

Had a broken front spring last year - a first for me on any vehicle. Parked van on drive normally evening before. Got in van in morning and van wouldn't move and steering was jammed. What the hell?? - or words to that effect. Spring had broken near bottom and had come down the strut and was jammed hard against the inner wall of tyre. Luckily it had missed brake pipe and pad sensor wire. Would normally have got garage to change, but there was no way to move van up narrow drive for recovery so did it myself. Got a Monroe spring to go in.

Wasn't too difficult, but the spring took some compressing - I'm thinking van springs are a bit tougher than car ones. One problem was when I came to put it together I couldn't get bottom of strut in place. Couldn't work it out until someone said to take the weight of the other front wheel. Jack other front wheel off the ground and strut went straight in. Never thought that with the weight on other wheel, it would twist the anti-roll bar and make it impossible to get the strut in.

I often wonder what would have happened if the spring had let go at the exact moment that I was doing 80 mph in the fast lane.   yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes

Anyway, I digress - back on topic.    wink

Last edited by woodbine (2020-07-12 23:22:27)

Fiat Scudo 2004 (54) 2.0 Jtd Dynamic Van

Board footer