The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-24 21:49:56

popolopo

excess engine oil van problem

Here is what i did gentlemen, need your suggestions on what could be the issue

I have a expert 1.6 hdi 2011 with 107000miles on the clock. Changed the engine oil  and oil filter today. Unfortunately filled in5 ltrs of 5w30 and drove for a mile car gave oil warning light so thought may be less oil stopped after driving another 6 miles and topped up with another 1.5 ltr oil. drove another 5miles and car engine started making noise. Went to a nearby friends house and realised too much oil , drained around 3 ltrs of oil and then drove the car again for 500yards, car engine is still very noisy.
Also when i drove the oil red light keeps coming and going and stop light also come and goes with a message oil pressure low.
What could have i damaged?
In total drove the car nearly 12miles with excess engine oil, foolish me.

Please advise.

Thanks

Last edited by popolopo (2020-07-24 22:00:20)

#2 2020-07-25 00:36:20

OAT

Re: excess engine oil van problem

Never done it to the extent of causing damage but I would think blown seals or gaskets would be likely.
That would be obvious by loss of oil if external but could be some internal blow by.
The pump may be damaged.
Where is the noise coming from?  Top or bottom of engine, pulley end?
Did the oil look ok when you drained it?

#3 2020-07-25 01:14:11

popolopo

Appreciate your reply.
the noise is coming from top. The oil looked ok to me.

#4 2020-07-25 13:56:03

OAT

I think you will need to get añ experienced mechanic to have a listen.
Could be tricky as you don't want to drive it. 
Perhaps talk to a mobile mechanic and see if they will come and give a quote for any repairs necessary.

#5 2020-07-25 23:39:29

JohnDragonMan
Website

blocked oil strainer... these engines if oil changes are neglected can get pretty gummy internally. despite the oil feed for the turbo blocking up after an oil change it can also block the oil pickup strainer in the sump.

one trick i always do with these 1.6 engines is go by how the old oil filter looked. if it was blocked to hell the engine needs the sump off to give it a good clean out.

though its done at your own risk, another trick that i have done is do many flushes with red diesel.

heres what i am on about..
mini_oilfilter.jpeg

this is technically a sump off job, but i managed to just keep flushing red diesel till it started to become clear when drained. filling the engine up with nothing but diesel and running it for a few mins only on tick over. then draining out.
it took 25 litres of red diesel filling the sump till it just started to show on the dip stick. that engine had just 48k miles on it.. the oil change i gave it was its 2nd oil change since new in 2010. its first oil change being the compulsory service the dealer carries out.

if one was to do this engine flush one thing i recommend is to clean out the oil entrance to the turbo and flush through the turbo feed pipe. with diesel in the sump, unbolt the banjo bolt and stick the feed pipe in a empty pop bottle. start the engine for a few seconds (honestly it comes out quick if the strainer is not blocked so watch out), watch all the encrusted crap spew from the oil feed. then bolt back together with new copper washers. after a good few flushes i recommend doing it again as bits slowly being dissolved that is stuck on the oil pickup strainer in the sump will make it through the strainer and get stuck once again in the oil entrance to the turbo.

this is by no means the correct way of cleaning an engine out, but its now done another 4k miles and has been spot on. ill be changing the oil/filter in it in a month or two. nothing really cleans better than an engine oil with a high content of detergents.

a noisy top end is usually down to poor oil pressure to it. most engines use the hydraulic properties of oil to really quieten down the valve train. no oil = loud tappy valves.

like i say, nothing beats a sump off clean. hell ive even had the pressure washer in an engine crank case and rocker cover to clean it out!

hope this helps!

Last edited by JohnDragonMan (2020-07-25 23:48:28)

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

Board footer