The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-10 22:38:24

JohanWinas

Odd problem with gauge cluster....

So I have had this van for a good 6 months now and fixed quite a few things. It now runs and drives perfect, up until Thursday...
The engine has been replaced by the previous owner, a mechanic as Peugeot that rebuilt needed parts.
And just before I bought it they replaced the gauge cluster as the temperature gauge would not go past 70C. I got the old, broken unit with the car.

I know its not an uncommon problems on the gauge clusters for the fuel and temperature gauge to fail.

After some time I noticed that the fuel gauge did not always work if the tank was more than half full, it then shows an empty tank.

So, I took the gauge cluster from my donor car, this worked fine, all gauges working as they should.
But after some time the problem came back, have to be the fuel sender or a bad connector. Hey, now big problem, I can live without a fuel reading for when the tank is full..

Then last Thursday the engine cut out after driving for 1-2min, the gauge cluster was black, not even the LCD was showing anything. Few seconds later it all came back, costed for a bit, turned the ignition off, not all the way to lock up the steering, turned it back on and cranked the engine and everything started up again. Was on the motorway when this happened so stopped and checked if everything was working, no problems, stopped, started, all ok.

On Friday we had a massive heat wave, not had the car with that high temperatures and the temperature gauge went up to around 100C instead of hovering around 95C as it normally does. Stopped, checked the engine, found that the fan was not running but the engine did not feel over warm.
So drove on carefully, all seamed ok apart from the temperature gauge showing around 100C.

So let the car cool down a bit, and went to work on it.
Before starting the engine I noticed that the temperature gauge was not resting on its peg to the left, instead it was at 5 o clock, odd.
Turned the ignition, the needle moved to its starting position, and then up to 90-100C. Started the engine, and it stayed there. Turned it off, and it went back to rest on the peg.
Did this a few times, and every now and then when turning the engine off the needle would swing to the right and rest at about 5 o clock.
At one time the RPM gauge did not go down to 0, it rested at around 500rpm...

So I swapped the gauge cluster to another one. And presto everything worked.
My conclusion was that it had to have been the gauge cluster that died there on Thursday and that killed the engine, on Friday it was just showing the wrong temperature all along.
The gauge cluster installed comes from my donor, a car I know was working fine.

So drove Sunday and some now on Monday. And now on Monday afternoon when I turned the engine off, the temperature gauge rotated clock vice to about 5 o clock...
It shows the correct temperature. But sometimes when I turn the engine off it rotates to 5 o clock instead of resting on the peg.

Having both of these clusters behave the same tells me something else is going on....

Anyone have any idéas?? Anything I could check??

Sorry for the long post :-)

#2 2020-08-10 23:19:11

vaz2121

Re: Odd problem with gauge cluster....

You have me totaly stumped on this and it's cause .............
But I 'd guess it's a HDI and not A DW8  version..........

If this is correct and it is an HDI ..........
I would be inclined to have a look at the engines controling ECU which will give you the same info it believes is happening within engine.........

Anything after that including the electronics in an ECU is some form of Black Magic JuJu

#3 2020-08-11 07:18:48

JohanWinas

Yes, its a HDI with the DW10...+ engine, sorry for not writing that.

I design electronics and do automation systems so I'm good with electronics. Cars however is a bit of a black hole due to all the odd solutions and shortcuts being made...

My thought is also towards the ECU, as it's common for both situations.

I have also been thinking of some kind of ground fault and a broken cable.

I replaced the parking break switch a month or so ago. The light came on now and then on the dash, so replaced the switch, made no difference and the old switch was fine. Figured the problem was a broken cable then. Then the problem fixed it self, light works as it should. This goes straight to the gauge cluster so the ECU is not involved.

I get the car back in my shed on Thursday so will check the fuel sender cable then, as well as connect up the OBD diagnostics and see what the car says, Just got the full Peugeot kit.

Is there anything in the ECU that is vehicle specific? Or is it just a swap to another unit?? As I have a donor car I got an extra ECU :-)

#4 2020-08-11 12:25:50

vaz2121

I think the bad/cruddy earth theory is a good start .............
Hence odd behavour as it looks for a ground even through what effectivly is another's live...........

Ive no idea if ECU's are vehicle specific and need introduction/pairing.........
But we are talking older tech here so you may be Lucky...........

As I Said it's all Black Magic JuJu to me.....
(Can I have the Big Hammer please!)

#5 2020-08-11 20:06:51

JohanWinas

Made an observation today that might point me in the right direction.

The LCD clock is always reset to 1:00 every time I turn the car on.
I cant remember if the LCD stays on when you turn the car off or not, but I think its on for a bit?? Need to check on my old van on Thursday.

Looking at the schematic the instrument cluster should have +BB connected, thats the raw battery connection without any fuse in the way, so every time I turn the car of its like unplugging the whole instrument cluster.

#6 2020-08-11 20:39:12

JohanWinas

Think I found it... Fuse 6 in the cab, blown, feeds the instrument cluster with permanent power, as well as the courtesy light. Replaced it and everything seam to be back to normal...

Board footer