The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-10 08:32:13

Grifter

New Van... now for some questions!

Hi everyone, new member here, so please be nice! Lol

I’m just buying a new (to me) Peugeot expert. It’s the 2.0HDI LWB version 2005. Spec is good, electric windows, central locking, electric mirrors, air con, parking sensors (currently not working!) cruise control and 6 seats

It’s a LHD as I live in Spain.

My plan is to use it as a work vehicle, but also to do a removable camper van conversion on it over the next year or so.

So, a few questions!

1. It’s the 2.0Hdi, but how do you tell if it’s the 8v or 16v versión?
2. There’s a huge amount of free play in the gear stick, it engages all fwd and reverse gears fine, just feels extremely loose.. I’m thinking bushes? I’ve seen that you can buy a pair of replacement gear linkage cables, is that what I would need to do? Anyone fitted them before, and have access to a guide for swapping them?
3. Although it’s got good history, I always do a service on a car when I get it, so I’ll be doing an oil change, air filter, oil filter and fuel filter change. Any advice? Issues or is it straight forward? Any recommendations on oil? (190k kilometres)I’ll also do a coolant flush and swap.
4. Is it worth doing a gear box oil change too? If so, any recommendations on oil spec and brand?

I want to get the old girl in good nick and keep her for a long time, so happy to spend a few pennies now, and get some preventative maintenance work done, so any suggestions of problem areas would also be appreciated

Sorry for the huge first post!
Ian

#2 2020-08-10 17:05:06

vaz2121

Re: New Van... now for some questions!

Grifter wrote:

I’m just buying a new (to me) Peugeot expert. It’s the 2.0HDI LWB version 2005. Spec is good, electric windows, central locking, electric mirrors, air con, parking sensors (currently not working!) cruise control and 6 seats

My plan is to use it as a work vehicle, but also to do a removable camper van conversion on it over the next year or so.

So, a few questions!

2. There’s a huge amount of free play in the gear stick, it engages all fwd and reverse gears fine, just feels extremely loose.. I’m thinking bushes? I’ve seen that you can buy a pair of replacement gear linkage cables, is that what I would need to do? Anyone fitted them before, and have access to a guide for swapping them?
3. Although it’s got good history, I always do a service on a car when I get it, so I’ll be doing an oil change, air filter, oil filter and fuel filter change. Any advice? Issues or is it straight forward? Any recommendations on oil? (190k kilometres)I’ll also do a coolant flush and swap.
4. Is it worth doing a gear box oil change too? If so, any recommendations on oil spec and brand?

I want to get the old girl in good nick and keep her for a long time, so happy to spend a few pennies now, and get some preventative maintenance work done, so any suggestions of problem areas would also be appreciated

Ian

Hello............

I was going to say LWB In RHD in the UK?..........

To tell if 8v or 16v .... It will be down to engine code and output figures ..... I don't know visually
Sloppy  Gear change....... It'll be down to gear change cables .....They are never as precise as direct to box Obviously ....... But If like mine the white plastic ends at Gearbox end have a little wear it can have a dramattic effect on feel of change ............

If you have access to the linkage end at gearbox you will be able to induce a little movement and I suspect where most of the sloppy feel comes from.......
Make sure you have right cables for said box fitted and they are a PITA to do I'm led to believe..........

As for a good service it's pretty much straight forward as it's basically using car mechanicals.......
I use in my DW8 a basic (No friction enhancers) 10w/40 semi synth....... I'd imagine it'll be much the same in a HDI......

It'll certainly be worth checking gearbox level and if it's overly dark yes good idea to change but it would be entirely up to you to decided if needing or wanting to change..........
It obiously wouldn't hurt ....... 75W/80 rings a bell and anything half decent should do...........

Hope you enjoy the van  down there in Spain I dear say there's other factors at play we don't concider in the UK........
If you could post a few piccys.... Being a LWB I'm sure there's others here would be interested in it's development

#3 2020-08-10 21:15:19

Grifter

Cheers Vaz, great, detailed reply!

I think you’re right, the cables will need swapping... joy... anyone have a “how to” guide on the job?

I’ll get some more pics up soon, I believe the LWB is unusual, even here in Spain I haven’t seen one before. Gives approx 2.4m from the bulkhead to doors. It comes with 6 seats, but has had a bulkhead behind the drivers row of seats bolted in, so a few options on set up.

Spec wise, it’s pretty high, for a van! Lol. Cruise control, Rev counter, electric windows, mirrors, central locking, air con, alloys, fog lights..

I’m planning a full service, and also I think for peace of mind a gear box oil change.

I’ll be fitting a full length roof rack too

Cheers for the reply!

#4 2020-08-11 02:42:47

OAT

There has been a recent thread on replacing gear cables.  I think there were complications.

As vaz mentioned, there is an inherent loose feel with the cable linkage.  I was convinced there was something wrong when I first got mine but found that after a few hundred miles they seemed fine.  Might be just a case of getting used to it?

#5 2020-08-11 05:34:11

Grifter

OAT wrote:

There has been a recent thread on replacing gear cables.  I think there were complications.

As vaz mentioned, there is an inherent loose feel with the cable linkage.  I was convinced there was something wrong when I first got mine but found that after a few hundred miles they seemed fine.  Might be just a case of getting used to it?

Cheers for the reply, unfortunately there’s loose, and then there’s loooooooooose! Lol. It’s like the gear stick is only just connected, and although driveable it has to be sorted. I’ll have a search for the thread on the linkage swap. There’s hundreds of these linkage sets for sale online, so I’m assuming it must be a relatively common job that needs doing? And I guess you can’t swap the bushes on the existing cable set up?

Cheers
Ian

#6 2020-08-11 07:49:37

Grifter

Has anyone done the gear linkage cable change? Any online “how to guides” available?

#7 2020-08-11 10:27:12

scotchjoe

My gear change on a 1.9d was akin to a stick in a bucket with slop in all gears when engaged.
It was greatly improved by putting the gearbox in neutral and getting an assistant to firmly hold the gear stick in the neutral position.
I then disconnected the cables from the gearbox bracket and reconnected them.The gear selection was greatly improved with most of the play removed.I repeated all again,it was easier to get the correct neutral position at the gear stick after the first try.
I know yours is a different model,but it may also help your gear selection problem.It,s free to try anyway.

#8 2020-08-11 10:33:53

Grifter

scotchjoe wrote:

My gear change on a 1.9d was akin to a stick in a bucket with slop in all gears when engaged.
It was greatly improved by putting the gearbox in neutral and getting an assistant to firmly hold the gear stick in the neutral position.
I then disconnected the cables from the gearbox bracket and reconnected them.The gear selection was greatly improved with most of the play removed.I repeated all again,it was easier to get the correct neutral position at the gear stick after the first try.
I know yours is a different model,but it may also help your gear selection problem.It,s free to try anyway.

Cheers ! I’ve certainly give that a try first. I’m struggling to find any info on how to change the cables, so hopefully this will help and I won’t need to. Can’t seem to find any kind of service manual either and Haynes only offer one for the MK2 versión which is frustrating.

I’ve searched the threads on here, and there’s quite a few mentions of the issue, and what to check for, but I can’t seem to find anyone who has actually done it. Just hoping it’s not a garage job, as I normally do this sort of work myself...

#9 2020-08-11 10:46:06

scotchjoe

I don't see a cable change as a garage job.If you have axle stands for safety when under the van,then it's a diy job.

#10 2020-08-11 11:14:22

Grifter

scotchjoe wrote:

I don't see a cable change as a garage job.If you have axle stands for safety when under the van,then it's a diy job.

Great, Ramps, stands etc are no problem, pretty much everything except a post lift. Maybe I should record it, and make a guide for the job?

#11 2020-08-11 11:21:17

scotchjoe

If you have to change the cables,then information about the change is going to be good for other members.
So yes,please document the change.

#12 2020-08-11 11:40:34

OAT

I can't find the recent thread either Grifter.  Wasn't a complete guide but may have had a few pointers.

Can't find anything on the net either which is surprising for a common vehicle with a known issue. 
I am sure a guide from yourself would be useful for many others.

#13 2020-08-11 11:48:07

vaz2121

OAT wrote:

Back in  My Truck driving days Only Foden had cable linkage to gearbox and although I class it as I'd never driven one I have brought one back to base about  a 5mile jont.......

It was about 3 or 4 yrs old with about 250,000 on it  But it's change was vey poor IMHO...........
IIRC mk 3 Golf Gti's or was it 4's had a cable gear change and although not 100% much better feel........

I think what's happening is You tend to get a rubbery  disconecting feel with cable change that only gets worse with a little wear ..........

And in commercial use with several drivers even more so abuse wise over all.............

There is also some folk who will ram the gearlever home  and put a little more wear on everything (They'll tend also to stretch out hand brake cables quicker) it's just how they are and of course maintenence .......
Gearbox linkages are not in the most pleasent enviroment and access is not the most accomodating to squirt some lube about.........

Cables break get worn out (So do linkages) and as I Said there's factors in Spain we don't even concider in the UK..........
We might have Grot and wet here...When Spain is very Hot and Dusty It might end up the same in gear linkage terms one maybe quicker than the other for similar reasons
(I'd put money on from what I've seen down the garage at her father's .... Many engines or the likes fail before body work rot kills them off)

A friend of mine had a 1999 all be it badged as a Fiat Scudo he now has a 2006 HDI Expert that I've never driven.............
A good couple years ago I only noticed a difference one day driving his old van (obviously) through town how much tighter it was (gearchange wise) or had become compared to previous or mine........
To discover  he'd put new or newer cables in as he'd broken one.........
I never saw the broken cable ... But I did see the gear lever and attached cables he'd tried to fit out a C5 from memorey.... hence unsure now whither New or younger replacement ...........

I definitely IMHO have a loose or sloppy change  and as mentioned at G-box end the white plastic clip on fitment thingy's I can induce some movement with I'm convinced on my own outside or feeling it with someone inside wiggling change as I hold linkage ...... Similar idea to doing a ball joint on steering

From what I gather it's an access routing issue that makes job a PITA
Cables obviously have to go through floor and needs sealing off........
The ends I'm led to believe are those pop on off ball coupling type.......
All this with ltd access especially at lever end and to make sure routing's OK and cable's are not twisted and on right knob Etc.............
i.e. selector and gate cable are not mixed and or both ends match rquired job...........

It's probably a piece of pi** to do...... roll  angel

#14 2020-08-11 12:52:16

Grifter

vaz2121 wrote:
OAT wrote:

Back in  My Truck driving days Only Foden had cable linkage to gearbox and although I class it as I'd never driven one I have brought one back to base about  a 5mile jont.......

It was about 3 or 4 yrs old with about 250,000 on it  But it's change was vey poor IMHO...........
IIRC mk 3 Golf Gti's or was it 4's had a cable gear change and although not 100% much better feel........

I think what's happening is You tend to get a rubbery  disconecting feel with cable change that only gets worse with a little wear ..........

And in commercial use with several drivers even more so abuse wise over all.............

There is also some folk who will ram the gearlever home  and put a little more wear on everything (They'll tend also to stretch out hand brake cables quicker) it's just how they are and of course maintenence .......
Gearbox linkages are not in the most pleasent enviroment and access is not the most accomodating to squirt some lube about.........

Cables break get worn out (So do linkages) and as I Said there's factors in Spain we don't even concider in the UK..........
We might have Grot and wet here...When Spain is very Hot and Dusty It might end up the same in gear linkage terms one maybe quicker than the other for similar reasons
(I'd put money on from what I've seen down the garage at her father's .... Many engines or the likes fail before body work rot kills them off)

A friend of mine had a 1999 all be it badged as a Fiat Scudo he now has a 2006 HDI Expert that I've never driven.............
A good couple years ago I only noticed a difference one day driving his old van (obviously) through town how much tighter it was (gearchange wise) or had become compared to previous or mine........
To discover  he'd put new or newer cables in as he'd broken one.........
I never saw the broken cable ... But I did see the gear lever and attached cables he'd tried to fit out a C5 from memorey.... hence unsure now whither New or younger replacement ...........

I definitely IMHO have a loose or sloppy change  and as mentioned at G-box end the white plastic clip on fitment thingy's I can induce some movement with I'm convinced on my own outside or feeling it with someone inside wiggling change as I hold linkage ...... Similar idea to doing a ball joint on steering

From what I gather it's an access routing issue that makes job a PITA
Cables obviously have to go through floor and needs sealing off........
The ends I'm led to believe are those pop on off ball coupling type.......
All this with ltd access especially at lever end and to make sure routing's OK and cable's are not twisted and on right knob Etc.............
i.e. selector and gate cable are not mixed and or both ends match rquired job...........

It's probably a piece of pi** to do...... roll  angel

Great info! Thanks!

I’ll document the process, delete the swearing, beer and cuts, and add the finished result... time lapse the process so it looks easy! Lol

#15 2020-08-11 13:08:20

vaz2121

I'm lead to believe The process like many others is helped along No End by Swearing And Beer consumption

#16 2020-08-11 15:14:50

Grifter

Vaz, you’re absolutely right... especially as it’s low 40’s here right now!

Separate question, does anyone know if the roof rack fittings are the same on a Mk1 to a MK2¿ I have found a good roof rack for sale, but it was on a 2007 car, and mine is a 2005. Do you think it will fit? It’s about an hours drive away, so ideally I’d rather know before I drive to get it

#17 2020-08-11 16:22:26

vaz2121

Jeez 40.c............ That for me who turns like a pink Salmon is Oppressive

I remember on one of our first visits to her Dad over near Vigo............
It was September time her Dad told us it hadn't rained in 5 months and the surounding grass fires  were deliberatly set (On subsequent visits at least Twice now he's told us that)..... we still had low 30's. c after 10 pm....
I found that oppressive and with nowhere to hide/go for a bit of respite.............

I tell a lie ......... Down in the celler area where the dog kennels are was cooler If you could suffer the pong

About roof rack  I've No idea....... I got a couple of Rhino Roof bars with mine..... they are width ajustable.......

The next gen Van looks wider on roof to me but if same roof fittings and its adjustable maybe..........
My van is also fitted with fiamma motorhome sort of generic roofbars that I have utilised by modifying an old pair of Aero bars to fit and mounted a roof box onto.........
Making it a low slung fit..........

I dont know what availability is like out in Spain or version of.........
Unistrut and it's chosen associated fittings can make a very effective low slung roofrack

#18 2020-08-11 19:54:56

OAT

I haven't got any.
Plastic pop up on mine.

Ken of the rusty nuts will know.

#19 2020-08-14 16:04:38

woodbine

Hello Grifter and welcome to the forum. When I read 'LWB' I thought this was a mistake or reference to the newer model. Didn't know they did a LWB Mk1. Would be good to see a side shot of it, as they must be rare. Wonder why they never sold them in UK?

As for oil, I use 10W40 semi synth - good quality and changed regularly. Mobil or Castrol Magnatec - whatever is cheaper of the two at the time. Maybe you need thinner grade in Spain if temps are higher, if you have the handbook the specs are in there.

Fuel filter is a pain and I usually let the garage struggle with it when it's in for something else I can't/won't do. First time they changed filter, it leaked as soon as I got home. Took it back, and he couldn't get it to seal. Then he rummaged in the bin, fished out the old oil seal and swapped it for the new one. No issues since, and he's changed the filter 2 or 3 more times and keeps the old seal in it. Not sure why the van is so attached to that old rubber seal?    smile

Some say the gearbox oil is for life of box - others say 60K. Anyway, mine got to 100K after 16 years, so thought I would change it as I reckon it's done it's job. The stuff that came out was quite murky and approx 200ml less than should have been. Grade is 75W80, and I used Millers TRX (any fully synthetic 75W80 gearbox oil will do). 8mm square drain plug in bottom of box, and put 1.85 litre in through the black plastic breather cap on top of box with small funnel and 13mm OD pvc tube. Pour SLOWLY. Will need to take air filter box off to get to breather cap. It's worth changing the box oil, not only for fresh oil but to also know you have the correct amount of the correct grade in there. Here's my recent thread about changing gearbox oil -

https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/foru … hp?id=1089

Last edited by woodbine (2020-08-14 16:15:06)

Fiat Scudo 2004 (54) 2.0 Jtd SX Dynamic Van

#20 2020-08-15 22:56:16

kenbw2
Administrator

woodbine wrote:

Hello Grifter and welcome to the forum. When I read 'LWB' I thought this was a mistake or reference to the newer model. Didn't know they did a LWB Mk1. Would be good to see a side shot of it, as they must be rare. Wonder why they never sold them in UK?

Only ever seen them in mainland Europe, but there's a thread about them here: https://dispatchexpertscudo.org.uk/foru … php?id=768

But I wanna see this one, it looks gorgeous!

Last edited by kenbw2 (2020-08-15 23:07:36)

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#21 2020-08-19 11:56:16

AB_70

Grifter wrote:

So, a few questions!

Ian

Hi Grifter, and welcome!

I've just finished a removable camper conversion on my 2004 Dispatch.  Nothing hardcore, but we've just managed a few nights in the Scottish Highlands and we were very comfortable.  I will get around to doing a blog on here very soon, hope it helps!

I'm having an issue with 5th popping out, so between us we maybe able to figure out the answer there.

Cheers!

Last edited by AB_70 (2020-08-19 22:29:37)

2004 Citroen Dispatch 1.9  cool

Board footer