The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-28 11:47:47

Ricko

Argyll & Bute

After a late start on Monday I drove north and overnight overnighted in a truckers layby south of Longtown.
I set off on my usual route across Dumfries and Galloway with the intention of climbing Corserine in the Galloway Forest. The weather was very poor all the way. Stopped off in Dumfries for a few supplies. I turned into the forest near Gatehouse of Fleet. I spotted a good lying up point, a piece of old road near the Forest Road and Polharrow Burn and made a mental note of it for the future. I decided that the weather was too poor for serious hill walking so decided on a road trip. Stopped off in Dalmellington for a take away, too wet to cook outside.
Overnighted in a car park near Largs.
Crossed on the Gourock to Dunoon ferry, drove up to Loch Goil to spy out a walking route for the future, again it being too wet for the mountains. Saw all the work being done to restore the A-road by the Rest and Be Thankful after a massive landslide. Carried on around to Inverrary and on to the Kintyre peninsula. Stopped off in Ardrishaig for a snooze (I do this a lot on the road!), on to Tarbert, carried on to Campbeltown on the eastern side, a narrow road with passing places. Stopped off at Carradale and Saddell. Had a walk around Campbeltown, another takeaway for tea. Back towards Tarbert and parked on the quayside for the night.
Crossed Tarbert to Portavadie in the morning (eng management light came on coming off the ferry).
Turned north to Otterferry for a walk on the beach then crossed over on a high track to the Bute ferry (4 min crossing).
Drove down to Rothesay, had a wander around the back on a ferry to Wemyss Bay on the ferry to the mainland.
Eng light went off but decided that the weather was a bit rubbish so trucked home via Dumfries.
3 nights out, a fine adventure.
Photos to follow.

2004 Citroen Dispatch 2.0 Hdi

#2 2020-08-28 11:53:07

Ricko

Re: Argyll & Bute

mini_Screenshot_20200828-113312_Gallery.jpegmini_Screenshot_20200828-113244_Gallery.jpeg

#3 2020-08-28 14:49:19

vaz2121

The Weather was particularly poor over the Last 5---6 Days....
I think it's at least Chucked it down every night and nearly everyday if not all day ............

We went to the Mull of Galloway at W/end and all but got blown away from Car Park at Lighthouse......
As it was rather busy around there we Decided to head through Stranraer and out to a Large flat old concrete type pad on shoreish area near Kirkcolm (Wasn't the quietist Either)......
{No photos SD card corrupted for some reason {So I found out}...........

I did a trip in 2011? down to Campbeltown Via Rest and be Thakful-Ardrishaig-Tarbet and on to Oban etc on the Bike .......
We visited some freinds who one in the group had made while working in that region a few years before {Campbeltown felt like in middle of no where Lonley planet then}
Partner & I repeated going there last year and was a much more relaxed and successful visit than previous..........

I'm assuming your 4 min ferry crossing to Bute was  Colintravie-Rhubodach .......
{There was a time they made cattle swim across there to Bute for summer grazing - Allegedly Richard Attenbough owned an estate around (Rhubodach) there at one time
probably akin to Paul McCartney and Mull of Kintyre {John Lennon has a tie in with Durness} and Apparently Joanna Lumley has a cottage in or about (Penpont) Moniaive}

"Late on" ... As a Teenager I on & off frequented in and around that area .........
Was around then my parents for a short period had..........
Bought a house in Tighnabruaich  and probably where I got my feverish love for roaming the west Coast...........

Argyle & Bute up until last year anyway always gave me the impression of being a little over looked/passed-by for most probably likely easier and just as dramatic rewards.....
(D&G feels to me anyway like a place to pass through to get to where your going yet has a lot to offer like Argyle & Bute)

Sounds like a great trip even with poor weather (no pun intended) that'll put a dampner on it ...........

Still you can't expect (I never could) to tour Scotland and not find some rain............

Kind of jealous at your trip...........
It's  just a fact and time of life for us -needing to stay closeish to "Home"............

#4 2020-08-28 19:33:43

Ricko

It made me appreciate the area, I might never journey down there again.
I'm certainly going to make use of the ferries to see more of the west coast.

Joanna Lumley has a place in D&G?
Used to fancy her, I wonder if she fancies a trip to the Outer Isles with me in the van??

#5 2020-08-29 09:15:59

vaz2121

Ricko wrote:

Joanna Lumley has a place in D&G?
Used to fancy her, I wonder if she fancies a trip to the Outer Isles with me in the van??

Apparently So ............ Bought and refurbished over 20 years ago.........

I fancy a trip to the Outer Hebrides .......
Looked a few times at Island Hopper Ticket costings....... etc.....

{A work mate once announced " He wanted to take a woman to Spain on Holiday"................. I replied ... "For a fortnight's Holiday in Spain I'd bite the pillow"}...............

Board footer