The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-09 07:28:40

Jumpy-Joe

Strange black box

Hi. I plan to install reverse sensors on my van, and because of that I needed to remove the rear bumper. Behind the left rear wheel I found a black plastic box with ventilation slots on it. What is its purpose?

2003 Citroen Jumpy 1.9D
Famous last words: How Hard Can It Be

#2 2020-10-09 10:30:14

tee_cee

Re: Strange black box

Jumpy-Joe wrote:

Hi. I plan to install reverse sensors on my van, and because of that I needed to remove the rear bumper. Behind the left rear wheel I found a black plastic box with ventilation slots on it. What is its purpose?

Funny enough it's for ventilation

#3 2020-10-09 11:06:35

vaz2121

Jumpy-Joe wrote:

I planed to do exactly the same thing but laziness in removing bumper and  the fact I've now bought two reverse sensor kits and both said tow bar could be a problem.............
I've got a step bolted to tow ball mount as well ........

I've now decided against it and figure maybe I'll instal a reverse camera one day..........

I'll agree with Tee-cee apart from ventilation  and probibly to relieve pressure when you slam door it is where I planned wiring to enter van along with wiring for tow bar...........

Last edited by vaz2121 (2020-10-09 11:07:34)

#4 2020-10-09 17:34:56

Casper

I dont think it is for ventilation. I do think its for air but after sitting in my mates van when he shut the tailgate i almost lost my bloody ear drums as the rush of air was enough to blow out the door seals. After investigating why we discovered he has a similar vent and it was covered over when the ply flooring was put down. OK its not a great issue in our cans due to poor sliding door seals but i think its there to save your ears from popping.

#5 2020-10-09 20:41:02

Jumpy-Joe

Thanks. It’s not in the way of some sorts, I just wondered what it was for.

2003 Citroen Jumpy 1.9D
Famous last words: How Hard Can It Be

#6 2020-10-11 19:02:41

Shakes

Funnily enough I was wondering exactly the same thing. Mine is lined with felt. I was about to squirt it full of expanding foam as it is in the way of my insulation.

#7 2020-10-12 19:53:15

JohnDragonMan
Website

basically, what i have found it has been designed to do is.....

help rust out the seam just behind it.

oh did i say that out loud? tut tut. what i meant to say was its designed to vent, but at the same time stop water being thrown up inside the van while in motion.  it does work well by design and though small you can fit a small fan into it as a bit of an extractor if say you decide to build a camper conversion. i recommend server fans.. the higher the amps/watts the better. then adjust the speed by using a computer fan speed controller. works really well!

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

Board footer