The Dispatch | Expert | Scudo Hub

Get help & share your Citroen Dispatch (Jumpy) | Peugeot Expert | Fiat Scudo tips

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-18 22:21:22

Casper

Speakers

I know i asked before but cant find the post. Got van MOT in four days and if i can get booked in and it passes i want to treat it to new speakers so what is the size and the standard watt range?

#2 2020-10-20 11:53:58

Wizzer

Re: Speakers

Size is 6 5" or 17cm. Unsure of the stock specifics but I bought some PIONEER TS-R1750S 6.5" 17CM 3 WAY 250 WATT COAXIAL CAR SPEAKERS from Halfords the other day for £40. Much clearer than the stock ones and mounted right where the stock ones were removed. These were wired into the original headunit too so Im sure you could get them clearer with an aftermarket headunit.

#3 2020-10-20 15:22:50

JohnDragonMan
Website

i am using some 3 way component speakers. basically each channel has 3 individual speakers consisting of a low 6.5 inch, a medium 4 inch and high 1.1/5 inch tweeter frequency range speaker set.

the 6.5 was easy to mount it just took the place of the original speaker however the 4 inch had to have a hole drilled out right in the middle of the door card just out the way of the window winder handle. the tweeter was screwed to the top of the door car just behind where the mirror position sticks are right in the corners.

some advice; and i am not shunning anyone's audio setup when i say this as believe me, ANY speaker is better than the standard ones. i will say that coaxial type speakers are not the best choice for our vans due to where they are mounted. they are always more cost effective choice however.

a coaxial speaker combines the low and a tweeter cone together. these are fantastic for "head level" mounted speakers but down in the foot well where they are located will cause the tweeter to just not perform as good as it should.
see theres some physics to sound.. just like radio waves on the electro magnetic spectrum.  low frequency will travel anywhere whereas high frequency is very directional. the higher the frequency the more laser like it becomes. with a tweeter the sound comes out from it with a very small angle of emission, so ideally you want that to the height of your head pointing at your head (or the middle seat) or close enough.

i went into this.. obsessively (yey dyspraxia) but i did come out learning a lot about how sound..  works.

like everything, the more you pay the better the thing. same with speakers pretty much. the ones i have are one up from entry level but they do the job and sound incredible. for the moment i am only running the stock android head unit power of about 40-45w. the speakers are being very under driven as they should have an RMS of 80 watts. i do have an amplifier and a DSP (digital signal processor, think of it like a really advanced graphic equaliser) to install in the van at some point. i will also getting a set of speakers for the rear. as the amp is a 4 channel type.

so in short, 2 or 3 way COMPONENT speakers would be the best choice.

i went for Focal 165AS3 Access Series 3-Way speakers.. being 3 way they were more costly than just a 2 way speaker set.

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".
My 2005 Dispatch Camper Project big_smile

#4 2020-10-20 17:37:48

Casper

Speaker Geek  big_smile  TBF for ease of installing Coaxial is winning as i cant be faffing about with tweeters, this is just a works van but just need something better to listen to my ABBA Gold album. Now having saying that are them not two tweeter pods top left and right on the dash? My present van they are just blanked off but my last one had mesh.

#5 2020-10-20 23:28:01

JohnDragonMan
Website

Casper wrote:

just need something better to listen to my ABBA Gold album.

Perfection. i have the same album in my van all be it on a pen drive, do have the original CD though.

when it comes to the love of music combined with such good music, not having a good speaker system would be a crime.

- JohnDragonMan
Notice: I have the tendency to void warranties, blow fuses, cause fires, and other fun stuff.
Words of wisdom: Internally rust proof the sills and subframe! both skins!!. There's always user serviceable parts inside. "Oh that shouldn't have happened".

#6 2020-10-26 22:40:50

AB_70

Hiya Casper

Just swapped mine over for something with a bit more bass. Only thing is there’s too much door and it vibrates the crap out of my doors. I can’t even work out what’s vibrating!!

Anyway, as long as I keep the volume at a reasonable, age appropriate level, mine seem to be doing a great job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-1-cm-Dual- … SwFPda9veJ

And they were cheap!

2004 Citroen Dispatch 1.9  cool

#7 2020-10-26 23:34:43

Casper

Cheers for that AB_70. Try taking the door card off and sticking something like flash banding on the inside of the door skin. Its what i use to stop panels vibrating/drumming.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from … ar+banding

#8 2020-10-27 01:06:54

JohnDragonMan
Website

yeah thats another thing i went to town with, making sure nothing vibrated! so everything that moved was wrapped in sticky fabric like tape used for wiring looms. a big thing that causes vibrating noises is the handle linking rod. followed by the plastic clips that hold the door card in place. also the wiring i found vibrated too.
if its been opened before, try to fix the foam water barrier. i just used tape on mine. it greatly helps sound response. and though its hard to do, try adding a bit more sound proofing to the door. my speakers came with some butyl sheets to stick inside the door!

when you have the door cards off, dont be afraid to give it a few hits with your fist to find where the vibration sounds are coming from!

also empty all door pockets!

- JohnDragonMan

#9 2020-10-31 11:33:50

AB_70

Casper wrote:

Cheers for that AB_70. Try taking the door card off and sticking something like flash banding on the inside of the door skin. Its what i use to stop panels vibrating/drumming.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from … ar+banding

Ah thanks for the tip Casper. I’ve actually got some left over dead mats, I’ll use those up!  Cheers

2004 Citroen Dispatch 1.9  cool

#10 2020-10-31 19:38:47

kenbw2
Administrator

JohnDragonMan wrote:

also empty all door pockets!

Yea I found this! I had a load of nuts and bolts in there. Put them in a bag, gone are the rattles!

2000 Citroen Dispatch 1.9TD XUD9 Camper Conversion
1999 Citroen Dispatch 1.9D DW8 Disassembled Camper Conversion
1996 Peugeot 806 1.9TD XUD9 Spare vehicle
1998 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD XUD9 Snapped timing belt

#11 2020-11-06 20:40:43

Casper

Looks like its getting new speakers  big_smile

Repair immediately (major defects):
Nearside Front Drive shaft joint constant velocity boot split or insecure, no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (6.1.7 (g) (ii))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Coil spring corroded All (5.3.1 (b) (i))
Nearside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()
Nearside Front Service brake binding but not excessively (1.2.1 (f))

CV boot was just the small clip was burst. He repacked the boot and new clip for £15 so ill take that.  Dono what the oil leak is like yet but if nit bad ill fix the advisories for next year.

#12 2020-11-12 23:46:13

Casper

Its like a new van. I swear i cant hear the engine big_smile

#13 2020-11-14 21:15:49

kenbw2
Administrator

Nice to see you've solved all your MOT issues, thank god it was an easy fix!

For your oil leak though your speakers won't help. This is what I had to do to fix mine:

xWYaPM5.jpg

#14 2020-11-14 22:40:34

OAT

WTF!?!

#15 2020-11-14 23:16:51

kenbw2
Administrator

That was on my white van OAT.

I used to call it a sanitary towel, but my friend pointed out that you don't need sanitary towels when you're old, you need incontinence pads!

Anyway it worked for a few days until it became saturated and leaked anyway  hmm

Board footer